Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[EXPIRED] Buy Traveler's Checks with AMEX cc

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7, 2008, 12:28 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, SPG Gold, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz #1 Club Gold, National Exec., Delta Silver
Random thoughts

@:-) I wonder if it's possible: if you have one of the charges cards (green, gold or platinum), show it to the service rep. as proof & request to put the charge on one of the other cards (HH, Delta, SPG)? Has anyone tried this?

I personally think that the alleged memo that these offices have now is just that, a memo, stating not to accept the credit cards as purchases. Otherwise, I would not have been able to purchase 2k worth today, with no problems.

Just my thoughts.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 1:46 am

Programs: One Pass, BAEC, AA
If I recall in the very early pages of this thread (or perhaps a thread on fat wallet) someone came up with a great story (exaggerated) how his whole famiily and all his friends went down to the amex office - huge lines of people only wanting to buy TC - they were having a picnic while waiting, etc...

It is quite amazing that this deal lasted as long as it did - it was a HUGE loophole that many (including myself) exploited.

So the suggestion to write a letter to Amex suggesting they re-instate this "benefit" is quite laughable.

I have no idea at all how many people really were doing this scheme - the FT/FW community is still a small percentage of all the folks out there - still, one has to believe that over the past few months the uptake on this scheme must have increased enough that it finally caught the attention of the bean counters.

I know I have seen the term the FAT WALLET EFFECT before - and I suppose that is what we have seen here.

I would like to thank the OP from way back when for posting this idea - it was fun while it lasted. Will miss my regular visits to Macys.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:30 am

Originally Posted by forextrader

So the suggestion to write a letter to Amex suggesting they re-instate this "benefit" is quite laughable.
So speaking out about what a coporation does to affect it's customers is "laughable"? Also it seems like they are still able to charge the affinity cards, but they are telling there clerks not to accept it. It's like paying for a restaurant tab and them denying you for having the wrong kind of AMEX card. Again we pay annual fees...a DL Amex is $95 a year(which is more than some Green Rewards cards), so why do they to benefit while we don't?

Don't get me wrong forextrader, I see your point too. If I thought it was totally ridculous I wouldn't have suggested writing. I for one used TCs when I travelled(because of the deal).

So if some of you out there are going to cancel your SPG, DL or HH AMEX cards, when they ask you why you are doing so, tell them because they didn't accept it for TCs anymore.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 5:32 am

The card is still very beneficial to me so I won't be canceling it because of this. This deal however was one of the very best that I've ever seen, sad to see it go but not surprised. It was egregious to say the least...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:27 am

Next step, they take away the points earned in 2008 on the basis that only purchases are entitled to points and not cash advances
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:41 am

Programs: United 1K
I was on my way to my AMEX in Studio City this morning so I'm glad I read this post.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:43 am

To be honest, I am jalous of you guys. I went to buy TC on Tuesday (Nov 4) on what I thought was the first of my weekly trips.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by olwagner
Next step, they take away the points earned in 2008 on the basis that only purchases are entitled to points and not cash advances
From http://hhonors1.hilton.com/en_US/hh/...tcardsterms.do :

"Eligible Purchases do not include Finance Charges, fees, Cash Advances or other means of accessing your Account, convenience checks, Balance Transfers, or the purchase of American Express Travelers Cheques and American Express Gift Cheques or other cash equivalents"
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:05 am

knock on wood
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
To be honest, I am jalous of you guys. I went to buy TC on Tuesday (Nov 4) on what I thought was the first of my weekly trips.
So did you get it? Which office?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would perfectly understand if AmEx stopped awarding points/miles/etc. for TC purchases. What I don't understand is their totally disallowing the acceptance of their credit cards for TC purchases. That should most definitely be a benefit.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:31 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Crap! I got myself an SPG card after reading this forum. Its not even here yet . I guess Presidential coins it is for now... before they take the mint stops giving them at no shipping...
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I would perfectly understand if AmEx stopped awarding points/miles/etc. for TC purchases. What I don't understand is their totally disallowing the acceptance of their credit cards for TC purchases. That should most definitely be a benefit.
It appears, from olwagner's post, that Amex has just recently changed the terms and conditions of the HHonors Amex credit card to exclude purchases of traveler's checks from point earning. However, for pre-existing card holders, whose terms and conditions do not exclude traveler's check purchases from point earning, Amex might be required to give notice of the change to those cardholders, perhaps by mail, before the change could take effect. So if Amex is looking to shield itself as quickly as possible from having to award points for t.c. purchases, it seems like the fastest (and perhaps cheapest) way of doing so is to stop permitting t.c.'s to be purchased with HHonors (and other affinity) credit cards. Just my guess.
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by guv1976
It appears, from olwagner's post, that Amex has just recently changed the terms and conditions of the HHonors Amex credit card to exclude purchases of traveler's checks from point earning. However, for pre-existing card holders, whose terms and conditions do not exclude traveler's check purchases from point earning, Amex might be required to give notice of the change to those cardholders, perhaps by mail, before the change could take effect. So if Amex is looking to shield itself as quickly as possible from having to award points for t.c. purchases, it seems like the fastest (and perhaps cheapest) way of doing so is to stop permitting t.c.'s to be purchased with HHonors (and other affinity) credit cards. Just my guess.
Where could we find the old terms and conditions of the HHonors Amex credit card ?
Old Nov 7, 2008, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by arcticgrin
Which NYC office did you go to?
111 Broadway

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.