Old Feb 11, 2014, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
USB Buxx

(NOTE: stopped taking new applications ~mid February 2014 through the official link.
Current users can still add new cards.)

• Initial purchase fee: $15 + $2.50 load fee
  • Load fee: $2.50 per load, $517.50 max load per transaction ($520 charge to card)
  • Max load per day: $2,000 per CC
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $2,000 per card, but $5k per CC (if you have multiple teen cards.)
    NOTE: The rolling 30 days is also time sensitive. For example, if you loaded on 9/1 at 2 PM local time and try to load on 10/1 at 12 PM local time, it will NOT work. You must load on 10/1 at 2 PM or later.
  • Max value at any time: $2,000
  • Max ATM withdraw: $200, max 3 ATM per day ($600 total). No fee at US Bank ATMs. Other 'Plus' or Visa ATM $1.50 + ATM fee.
  • You may only add/edit two new credit/debit payment methods every 24 hours, three every 30 days and 5 every 180 days.

Also - Answer ALL the identification questions in your profile (not JUST three or four) USBuxx will sometimes ask you one of the questions, if you use the account on a new computer. HOWEVER - they are more than happy to ask you an unanswered question - talk about BROKEN! So, answer ALL the questions so that when you are prompted - you can answer any of them.

Do not load with any US Bank card as this will not provide points.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for US Bank

NW Buxx

• Initial purchase fee: $5 (waived with promo code: 02050053)
  • $2 load fee
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $1,000
  • The maximum Card value is $1,000.00
  • Max ATM per week: ($200 - but only if specifically enabled online, including PIN setup). No fee for some Allpoint ATMs (no way to know in advance if the Allpoint ATM will ding you $1; check your account carefully and call if necessary to reverse the $1 charge…IME 2/3 Allpoint ATMs do charge the fee).
  • Max spend per 7 rolling days: $800

Max # of CC on file for both is 2. Each has a max # of loads per card per 7 day rolling period (~3/4). If you card fails to load, first try to switch to another CC, second check to make sure there are at least 7 calendar days between loads.

Reports of Citi cards (at least Mastercard) coding as purchase for NW Buxx (Jan 2015), but YMMV.

TD Bank Go Buxx

Dead - "members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit."

• Initial purchase fee: $4.95 + $1 load fee.
  • Max load per day: $500
  • Max load per 7 days: $2,000
  • Max load per rolling 30 days: $3,000
  • Max per ATM withdraw: $60/week. (No fee at TD Bank.)
  • Max balance: $2,000
  • Max transactions: no limit
  • Max load per funding CC (across multiple teens): only via TD CC $6,000 per 30 days

Limits are per teen card, not per master account

States not supported.

AL, AK, AS, AZ, AR, CA, CO, FM, GA, GU, HI, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, KY, LA, MI, MN, MS, MO, MT, NE, NV, NM, ND, MP, OH, OK, OR, PW, PR, SD, TN, TX, UT, VI, WA, WV, WI, WY
According to thread, USPS MOs count against the ATM withdraw limit.
Citi codes as purchase and earns points for TD Bank loads.
Citi with some cards including the Exec will keep your order as pending and it will take up Credit limit for 3 to 4 weeks.

Beginning September 3, 2014, we're making changes to the TD GO Card program.
•We're decreasing the reload limit. We're reducing the per-day reload amount from $1,000 to $500. Rest assured, your maximum card balance at any time will remain at $2,000.
•We're changing how you can fund your TD Go Card. Account owners and friends and family members will only be able to load TD Go Card(s) using a TD Bank Debit or Credit Card, or by direct deposit.

Do not create too many accounts too fast. Some reports of account shutdown when same SSN used across multiple cards / accounts in a short period of time.
Print Wikipost

VISA Buxx

Old Sep 25, 2003, 6:56 pm
Original Poster

As a responsible thread founder I have to remind you guys that the benefit of having the cash for a short period of time is equal to 0 as long as interest rates remains close to zero.
The other point - comparison to cashback card - is a valid if eternal question: what's better, cash or miles.

Finally, I'm deeply offended by my zero-cost variation being ignored, is this because we assign zero value to Northwest miles
Old Sep 25, 2003, 7:46 pm

Programs: AA (1MM), Marriott (LT Gold)
This discussion has caught my attention since I missed out on the Citicash offer.

1) I think it is implied in the previous discussion, but would someone confirm that a deposit on this product from a credit card is treated as a purchase rather than a cash advance?

2) I don't see any restrictions in the terms and conditions that would prohibit carrying out "neophyte's" idea. Am I missing something?

3) If I want to keep all activity at US Bank to minimize costs, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this without drawing undue attention to my actions?

4) Does the name on the Visabuxx card have to be different than the name on the funding credit card?

Thanks for any input.
Old Sep 25, 2003, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA P4L, WN, BA, DL, UA, HHonors, IHG
I'd love the miles, but...that is so many trips to the ATM (3 per week, doing several transactions each time). Maybe if they have an ATM in the building where you work it would be worthwhile.

------------------
Middle_Seat
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:19 am

I would find it kind of odd and disturbing to be waiting in line at a atm machine as someone feeds in a card takes out $100.00 and then puts in another card and takes out another $100.00 and so on and so on and so on. Someone may also think some type of fraud is going on and take your plate down and waste the precious time of our police force as they investigate this suspicious activity.

This type of withdrawal activity would be very suspicious since it would look like a real atm fraud that actually occurred recently. The fraud involved someone skimming atm card information from a private atm machine. The thieves then made a bunch of fake cards with the data they skimmed and the FBI was literally chasing them around new york city on a holiday weekend as they emptied out atms with several cards.

If you could withdrawal, more money at one time this method may be worthwhile but with the limitations involved and the likely chance you could draw the wrong kind of attention and be wasting precious time of our law enforcement I do not like it. I do like the thought that went into this method!
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:50 am

Programs: AA Gold; HH Gold
1) Yes, it's treated as a purchase rather than a cash advance.

2) No, there are no restrictions that would prohibit anyone from carrying out neophyte's idea. I've been doing it for a little over a month, and did it for about 10 months with the Cit Cash Card. It works like a charm, and I'm very satisfied.

3) I don't think you need to do anything to hide your inentions. When I was doing it with Citi Cash Card, they initially froze my card b/c they suspected someone had stolen my card or there was some fraud going (lots of charges in short amount of time and constant withdrawls from ATMs). But I was very honest with them and told them exactly what I was doing. After they understood, they unfroze my account and I went on my way. With Visa Buxx, I currently have 6 cards (2 in my name, 2 in fiance's), and it's working fine. The only thing I did was I opened the cards over a 1 month period of time, versus opening them all at once. I hoped that would keep them from freezing my account and going through the process of explaining what I was doing. But nothing happened, and I'm using all 6 successfully.

4) It doesn't matter what the name on the funding credit card is. My two funding cards are both in my name, and some of the Visa Buxx cards are in my name, and some in my fiance's.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ExitRowAisle:
This discussion has caught my attention since I missed out on the Citicash offer.

1) I think it is implied in the previous discussion, but would someone confirm that a deposit on this product from a credit card is treated as a purchase rather than a cash advance?

2) I don't see any restrictions in the terms and conditions that would prohibit carrying out "neophyte's" idea. Am I missing something?

3) If I want to keep all activity at US Bank to minimize costs, are there any suggestions on how to accomplish this without drawing undue attention to my actions?

4) Does the name on the Visabuxx card have to be different than the name on the funding credit card?

Thanks for any input.
</font>
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:51 am

For the US Bank Visa Buxx card, it's once every 4 days. So basically it's twice a week. And luckily for me, there's a US Bank ATM on my way home from work, so it's not out the way for me at all.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Middle_Seat:
I'd love the miles, but...that is so many trips to the ATM (3 per week, doing several transactions each time). Maybe if they have an ATM in the building where you work it would be worthwhile.
</font>
Old Sep 26, 2003, 9:54 am

Well, I've been doing this kind of activity for a year now, and haven't run into any problem like this at all. I do try to find a time when the ATM isn't busy. And if there's people at the ATM when I get there, I'll often sit in the car for a couple of minutes to wait. So far so good.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Centurion:
I would find it kind of odd and disturbing to be waiting in line at a atm machine as someone feeds in a card takes out $100.00 and then puts in another card and takes out another $100.00 and so on and so on and so on. Someone may also think some type of fraud is going on and take your plate down and waste the precious time of our police force as they investigate this suspicious activity.

This type of withdrawal activity would be very suspicious since it would look like a real atm fraud that actually occurred recently. The fraud involved someone skimming atm card information from a private atm machine. The thieves then made a bunch of fake cards with the data they skimmed and the FBI was literally chasing them around new york city on a holiday weekend as they emptied out atms with several cards.

If you could withdrawal, more money at one time this method may be worthwhile but with the limitations involved and the likely chance you could draw the wrong kind of attention and be wasting precious time of our law enforcement I do not like it. I do like the thought that went into this method!
</font>
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MeLike2Travel:
With Visa Buxx, I currently have 6 cards (2 in my name, 2 in fiance's)</font>
When I just applied for the product, it specifically asks for your teens SSN, and if you use the same SSN as yourself "the parent", an error message comes up. How did you open 3 cards under your own Parent account w/o having 4 different SSNs, 1 for the "parent" and 3 for each "teen" ?

Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:23 pm

I opened up 3 with myself as the parent and my fiance as the teen, and another 3 with her as the parent and me as the teen....worked like a charm.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alcibiades:
Originally posted by MeLike2Travel:
With Visa Buxx, I currently have 6 cards (2 in my name, 2 in fiance's)</font>
When I just applied for the product, it specifically asks for your teens SSN, and if you use the same SSN as yourself "the parent", an error message comes up. How did you open 3 cards under your own Parent account w/o having 4 different SSNs, 1 for the "parent" and 3 for each "teen" ?
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neophyte:
Finally, I'm deeply offended by my zero-cost variation being ignored, is this because we assign zero value to Northwest miles </font>
:P
For me currently, the cashback is the right choice, as I am at the 2% tier on my cashback credit card. It takes 50 Free loads of $500 to get 25k miles on the NW Visa credit card. 50 loads of $500 on my cashback gives $500 - 50($2 load fee) = $400 in cashback. So its a choice b/t $400 or 25k Worldperks Miles(a domestic awards ticket). At 1.5% it means choosing b/t $275 and 25k miles.

Howerver, I did my initial $500 load with the NW Visa to escape the extra $5 enrollment fee and $2 load.

Alternatively, if someone really needed to fly business or first to Australia for Free using miles, their choices could be different for good reason.

[This message has been edited by Alcibiades (edited 09-26-2003).]
Old Sep 26, 2003, 12:51 pm

I see, 6 accounts with 1 card in each.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 6:04 pm

exactly.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Alcibiades:
I see, 6 accounts with 1 card in each.</font>
Old Sep 26, 2003, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

At the bottom of the applications it has "promotion code" - do we know any?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 12:41 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by neophyte:
At the bottom of the applications it has "promotion code" - do we know any?</font>
Maybe some secrete code to wavie the annual fee. Who knows it?
Old Sep 27, 2003, 3:12 am

if the weekly maximum withdrawal is $300, how can you guys get more than 1200 miles per card, per month?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.