FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manufactured Spending (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending-719/)
-   -   Stamping Name on Prepaid Card? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1838117-stamping-name-prepaid-card.html)

WistfulTraveler Apr 21, 2017 8:44 am

Stamping Name on Prepaid Card?

This may have been covered before, so I apologize if it has. I was using Smith's grocery stores (which is owned by Krogers) periodically to liquidate the ppd cards. Their system still accepts prepaid cards to purchase money orders, but they are now asking pointedly that it needs to have your name on the card. Has anyone gone down the path of purchasing a stamp to embed their name on a prepaid card? I know it sounds silly, but technically it would be a card with your name on it. Something fun for a Friday!:)

littlewinglet Apr 21, 2017 8:45 am

What's the point, they will then c0ck block it because it says "Gift Card" and then you're on the way to having to clone magnetic stripes.

WistfulTraveler Apr 21, 2017 8:56 am

I agree that the store might still deny it, but tecnically, I could meet their canned requirement of your name appearing on the card. Good observation, though. If I did stamp cards, I'd still shred them after getting them to $0.

NoonRadar Apr 21, 2017 9:17 am

Picture a very suspicious clerk/manager who looks closely at the card and seems to think you might have doctored it and notifies the authorities, with or without even telling you they're about to do that. Is it worth it? Hell yeah if you're into that kind of adrenaline rush!

Bottom line, my advice is to keep it legal. :) I'm no lawyer but doctoring a financial instrument def sounds illegal to me.

Mamibear Apr 21, 2017 9:27 am

IF, by chance, the store register is one of those that can identify cards through the BIN numbers and shows A GIFT FOR YOU or PREPAID CARD HOLDER as your name, it's useless to mask your GCs by putting your name on it or putting stickers to cover giftcard. IOW, the cashier doesn't have to see the card to know it's not a bank DC. It is best not to lie when asked if you're using a GC and if it's not allowed, just leave.

Gettr14 Apr 21, 2017 9:32 am

I wonder, could you load a VGC or similar onto Anroid Pay and use your phone to pay with it as a debit card? They might question it less.

Does anyone have experience doing so or know a reason why this wouldn't work?

lumangoy Apr 21, 2017 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Gettr14 (Post 28210506)
I wonder, could you load a VGC or similar onto Anroid Pay and use your phone to pay with it as a debit card? They might question it less.

Does anyone have experience doing so or know a reason why this wouldn't work?

you can only load to Android/Apple pay if the bank supports it. I doubt VGCs are supported