Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx MS

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

AmEx MS

I'm approved for business platinum and need to spend 5K in 3 months. I've read about AE claw backs. May be folks were doing heavy hitting so couldn't stay under the radar. I'm looking to spend only 5K at WM, buying VGCs along with other groceries. No two charges would look the same, plus no 1-2K purchases at WM which looks suspicious. Has anyone done this?

Last edited by Gitangali; Feb 22, 2017 at 10:22 am
Old Feb 21, 2017, 6:44 pm

I did 15k of very obvious MS (Simon Mall) for my Biz Plat a year ago. Got hit with a financial review but no problem getting bonus once that was resolved. You'll likely be fine
Old Feb 21, 2017, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I am approved for business platinum and need to spend 5K in 2 or 3 months. I have read about AE claw backs. May be folks were doing heavy hitting so couldn't stay under the radar. I'm looking to spend only 5K at WM, buying VGCs along with other groceries. No two charges would look the same, plus not 1-2K purchases at WM which looks suspicious. Has anyone done this?
Did you hit either of the leaked 100k offers last year? The reviews that followed those are what screwed people on other cards. I think as long as you don't hit any leaked links you'll be ok.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 10:44 pm

I'm looking to spend only 5K at WM, buying VGCs along with other groceries. No two charges would look the same...
WM does Level3 reporting, so you won't be camouflaging anything, they can see everything. So I wouldn't over exert yourself trying.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Hbax
WM does Level3 reporting, so you won't be camouflaging anything, they can see everything. So I wouldn't over exert yourself trying.
all stores? I thought it was only certain stores like staples and ODOM?

I dont see level 3 for grocery and drugstores.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:07 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all responses

I'm not looking to do heavy hitting on this unlike WF, so hope to sneak $500 here and there over a period of 3 months. It would look suspicious if you spend 5K in a few days or a few weeks. Again the time will tell. I also have my daughter's AmEx card I need to spend 3K on.

Originally Posted by bodiddely
Got hit with a financial review but no problem getting bonus once that was resolved.
Can you elaborate, what do you mean by resolving it? It seems they already know what you did? So how did you resolve it?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:23 am

I got the 5k 50,000 / 15k 100000 offer and did 6k of MS that was obvious. Only MS and at CeeVeeSss. I got the 50k points yesterday and transferred to Hawaiian.

I waited to see what would happen before I did the other 10k.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Lappie
I got the 5k 50,000 / 15k 100000 offer and did 6k of MS that was obvious. Only MS and at CeeVeeSss. I got the 50k points yesterday and transferred to Hawaiian.
What time-span for the $6K? Did you do many non-MS transactions at that store in between the VGC ones?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
What time-span for the $6K? Did you do many non-MS transactions at that store in between the VGC ones?
3 days. No non MS. Its 3 $2019.80 charges, 3 days in a row. No other charges, none, nada, zip. Only MS!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:23 am

Can you elaborate, what do you mean by resolving it? It seems they already know what you did? So how did you resolve it?
In a financial review they are concerned with/investigating your ability to repay the charges you are making (and if you were truthful about your income on your application, etc). They aren't (at least not primarily) looking at whether you are earning rewards improperly via MS.
When you are selected for a financial review, they suspend your ability to make purchases on all of your cards and ask you to agree to allow them to obtain a transcript of your tax return from the IRS. If you refuse they will either shutdown your accounts or lower your credit/spending limits. I agreed and they lifted the suspension and didn't lower any CLs. And I got my signup bonus no problemo.

More discussion on FR may be found here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...iscussion.html
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:17 am

Originally Posted by Lappie
3 days. No non MS. Its 3 $2019.80 charges, 3 days in a row. No other charges, none, nada, zip. Only MS!
Very brave indeed, esp at a store where the average receipt is way way lower than $2+K. I guess if you guys don't get caught, the rest of us that tread more carefully should be able to swim just fine.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:20 am
Original Poster

(and if you were truthful about your income on your application, etc)
IRS transcript doesn't tell the income of each of the spouses if you are MFJ.It shows the household income. As long as you did not exaggerate income on CC application, this is a good problem to have. That means if the spouse is earning less, you can combine the income and get CC approvals. Correct?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat
IRS transcript doesn't tell the income of each of the spouses if you are MFJ.It shows the household income. As long as you did not exaggerate income on CC application, this is a good problem to have. That means if the spouse is earning less, you can combine the income and get CC approvals. Correct?
The income on CC apps is a gray area. They almost never mean only your income, rather all sources of income. So I have always put an amount that reflects my yearly expenses, which makes it easy for most college students to put down like 50-70k income without issue. Income from your spouse and even parents is a valid source. Of course, to put down your parents entire income would be wrong, but it is okay to include the portion they contribute to paying for your expenses.

In the end, you just need to prove that the income is coming from legitimate sources by those in close relation to you.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:25 pm

source of info?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Explorer789
which makes it easy for most college students to put down like 50-70k income without issue.
Let's say I'm a college student and my annual income is measly 5K from campus jobs but I have access to all of my parents assets. Does that mean I can get CC approvals without a real full time job? Now I'm not sure how does a student prove that he/she has access to parents income, one way would be joint checking/savings accounts.

Otherwise the students won't be eligible to receive credit cards.They have some just for students, but they don't give you much CL and you are limited to having one or two CC.

I'm wondering if student can get approved for MS CCs such as Chase, WF etc without a job earning at least upward of 20-25K.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.