Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 9, 2017, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lowkeyflyer
This is the master thread for all VGC and MCGC sold at Staples.
The previous discussion can be found here.

The VGCs sold at Staples are issued by Metabank and serviced by Blackhawk Network.
The activation code for online purchase comes with the card. Cards purchased at store are activated at check-out.
To activate cards over the phone (without activation codes), call (877) 426-2551 to talk to a rep.
To activate cards over the web, www.giftcardkey.com.
The default PIN number is the last four digits of the card number but can be changed online.

As of 5/12/2014, all known portals are dead.

Earn 5x points with Chase Ink, or Simply Cash for 5% cash back
Buy Visa gift cards (Metabank) at Staples ($200 for $7.95) or the website ($300 for $8.95).

2k Limit per transaction / 10k per day for online. In-store is usually 2k but YMMV
Often times, there are promotions with no or reduced activation fees
Print Wikipost

Visa/MasterCard Gift Cards at Staples(2017 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 12:19 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Originally Posted by Spiral1
Had some $300 VGC's arrive today and noticed the activation sticker now has a website (https://www.giftcardkey.com/) that lets you activate the cards instead of just a phone number. Pretty nice since it is much faster to do it this way than using that annoying automated phone system...
I saw this on my most recent order (3x$300). For someone buying more than that, the iMacros script (find via Google) might help.

<When someone asks me why I carry 9 credit cards, I tell them that's all my wallet has room for.>
Old May 16, 2017, 9:42 pm

Staples will be running another $20 rebate on $300 purchases of Visa gift cards next week, starting 5/21. I don't recall seeing these promotions repeat themselves so quickly previously. Not complaining, of course.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:55 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG Silver
Use The Card Upon Receipt

Still waiting for my $20 check to replace my fraudulently used rebate VGC from March, 2017. Multiple calls to the number on the card. Told they're experiencing a backlog d/t so many fraud issues. Others have warned to use the card immediately upon receipt. I will next time. Update: finally got the replacement card in July. I called Metabank (number found on Google) who gave me the number for the company responsible for these.

Last edited by rxgeek; Jul 22, 2017 at 5:41 pm Reason: update
Old May 16, 2017, 9:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
Staples will be running another $20 rebate on $300 purchases of Visa gift cards next week, starting 5/21. I don't recall seeing these promotions repeat themselves so quickly previously. Not complaining, of course.
Source? Staples.com doesn't have next week's ad online yet. I'm not implying you're wrong, I'm simply curious...

I'd like that b/c I tried to go on Saturday to my reliable Staples in NYC and showed up like 30 mins after it closed.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Source? Staples.com doesn't have next week's ad online yet. I'm not implying you're wrong, I'm simply curious...
o
Starting yesterday (Monday), some Staples customers have reported receiving postcards that promote this deal. The weekly ad should be available Wednesday night.
Old May 17, 2017, 5:12 pm

Starting yesterday (Monday), some Staples customers have reported receiving postcards that promote this deal. The weekly ad should be available Wednesday night.
i received a postcard, 1st time I've received one.
Old May 17, 2017, 10:32 pm

So, I want to dip my toes into MS. Goal is just to add a few hundred bucks to MSR, and get experience through the MS process. With the $20 rebate, I figure I'm not losing any net money in the long run. If I can't liquidate the GC, it's not a big deal to use them in regular life later in the year. Please feel free to point out any glaring mistakes in my plan. Live in Atlanta, GA. Will use CSR to buy the GCs. I've already had one full statement on the CSR, all with organic spending.

1. Buy $200 VGC (x2) in store with my CC. From Reddit, I was told these VGCs are Metabank.
2. Same day, go buy MO at Wal-Mart. Do I buy 2 MOs for 197.30 each? or can I use two separate VGC to pay for a $399.30 MO? If for some reason WM is being weird, there are also Krogers and Publixes nearby. Would these work as well?
3. Make MO out to myself.
4. Deposit MO at ATM for Wells Fargo checking account.
5. Fill out rebate, wait.
6. Watch my MSR increase by ~$400.

Thanks for any input!
Old May 17, 2017, 11:02 pm

Yes, you have got it right. You should be able to buy a single MO for $399.30 at WM.

Down the road, get a Chase Ink card so you can earn 5X points at office supply stores.

.....and welcome to Flyertalk!
Old May 18, 2017, 3:22 am

The new VGC promotion is on page 6 of next week's ad circular.
Old May 18, 2017, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by ne0ven0m
2. Same day, go buy MO at Wal-Mart. Do I buy 2 MOs for 197.30 each? or can I use two separate VGC to pay for a $399.30 MO? If for some reason WM is being weird, there are also Krogers and Publixes nearby. Would these work as well?
since it's your first time buying MO, I suggest you buy one first for $197.30 and see how it goes at YOUR WM. Unless you know someone who goes to the same WM doing MS and does split tender w/o issues, only then can you try split tender at first try but if it was me, I'd do one first to get a feel of it. You can ask cashier for another MO for $200 and pay the fee in cash and see if that goes through as well. You have nothing to lose but an extra 70 cents but gained experience. IF you have one of those WMs that isn't cooperative, try any of your grocery stores nearby. Good luck!
Old May 18, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
The new VGC promotion is on page 6 of next week's ad circular.
So close to the last promotion means most locations are out of the $200s unless the vendor is on top of it and gets new ones sent. Promo isn't worth doing if you have to buy the 100s or 50s due to high fees compared to the 200s, IMO. No $200 stock means lots of disappointed rebate hopefuls coming next week.
Old May 18, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Northwest, United
Originally Posted by Mamibear
since it's your first time buying MO, I suggest you buy one first for $197.30 and see how it goes at YOUR WM. Unless you know someone who goes to the same WM doing MS and does split tender w/o issues, only then can you try split tender at first try but if it was me, I'd do one first to get a feel of it. You can ask cashier for another MO for $200 and pay the fee in cash and see if that goes through as well. You have nothing to lose but an extra 70 cents but gained experience. IF you have one of those WMs that isn't cooperative, try any of your grocery stores nearby. Good luck!
Really good advice there.

In addition to the "learning experience" you should be aware that everything that adds any "friction" to liquidating (split payments, multiple transactions, grouchy clerks, long lines, etc. - anything that does not look and feel 100% ordinary, typical of most customers, and legit) not only increases the chances you might be turned down, but also increases the chance that it might lead to greater scrutiny -> manager intervention -> even more scrutiny -> more "training" of cashiers to closely carefully monitor MO sales and stick to more strict store policies -> burning that particular store for everyone permanently.

There are countless stories here of MSers going in with an arrogant, entitled attitude and big stack of gift cards, there's pushback, the idiot with the stack of cards makes a stink and pushes it, things escalate, and from then on that store won't cooperate at all for any MS for anyone. It's really easy to inadvertently kill all MS at any store, permanently - sadly, it happens all the time.

Always remember this is fragile, and the more friction you add, the more odd your request seems, the greater the risk that you will kill that location going forward - for you and for everyone else. Keep in mind that you're trying to 'get away with something' and act like it, rather than acting like you've got some god-given, constitutional right to pull this off. Tread lightly, and don't be that guy who wrecks it for everyone.
Old May 18, 2017, 7:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
In store, can you pay the VGC fee with a Staples gift card and charge the balance to a regular credit card? I ask because I have an orphaned $3-4 GC from a promo last year and it would be nice to zero it out.
Old May 18, 2017, 9:27 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
In store, can you pay the VGC fee with a Staples gift card and charge the balance to a regular credit card? I ask because I have an orphaned $3-4 GC from a promo last year and it would be nice to zero it out.
This is a YMMV. At my store, they take the full value of my Staples gift card. But others have reported not being so lucky in this regard.
Old May 18, 2017, 10:00 pm
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by Flyby01
This is a YMMV. At my store, they take the full value of my Staples gift card. But others have reported not being so lucky in this regard.
I chalk those up to "out of the ordinary request that normal customers don't ask for," in the spirit of nwflyboy's post. For a $3-4 gift card, can't you just drain it when you're buying groceries? At the grocery store, they actually know how to drain small denomination gift cards and it's not an odd request. With the volume of grocery stores and cashiers available at grocery stores, you can do this and nobody will bat an eye. Compare that to your one or two nearby Staples stores, with one or two managers and limited number of cashiers, to whom you most likely already stand out. I don't like to do anything that calls MORE attention to my transactions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.