Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Old Feb 3, 2017, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: vagrants
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Moneygram does not allow mobile app MO deposit regardless of whether or not the bank allows it. However, this policy doesn't seem to be enforced. You can still deposit via ATM or in person.

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone

Allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • BB&T. $1,000 per day, $3,000 per month. WU works fine. Doesn't seem to take MoneyGram.
  • Charles Schwab, depending on account up to 10k/day (While they allow MOs, their app may not be able to read all MOs. MG only work with dark printouts.)
  • Citadel FCU: normally works great with WU, but only do one deposit, small amount first time to test. Increase deposit amount slowly, and do not exceed 2K daily or they may call you and ask what you are doing, or freeze account. Very fraud-conscious at this CU. MO funds avail. within 24 hrs. Apparent $10K/mo limit.
  • Citibank (500 first 6 months, 1500 thereafter) Citibank does not allow MoneyGram mobile deposits and most ATMs reject the MO.(Ref)
  • Clearview FCU
  • DCU - works, reports of shutdown for MS specific behavior (depositing Money Orders) start in March 2017 (Ref, Ref, Ref posts 99 and onward)
    clears immediately (Ref). Very finicky that the MO be filled out completely and the back is endorsed "for deposit only DCU".
  • Everbank ($50K per day total, no check bigger than $50K) (but see report of shutdown
    Ref)
  • NorthePointe bank. 10 day hold per new accounts <30 days old.
  • Penfed. $5K per day limit. WU works fine. A portion of deposit may be held back for a few days. Doesn't seem to take MG (amount entered doesn't match amount detected error message).
  • Simple* (March 2014: People now receiving emails asking source and purpose of MO deposits) (Ref)
    15 photo deposit per month and $3000 per deposit (first 5 are limited to $2000). Robust MO reading (Ref)
  • SunTrust Only seems to accept WU, posts next day if in before 9pm.
  • United Bank
  • UFB Direct
    prefers MoneyGram MOs; WU MOs work fine also. Will Shut down. (Ref)
  • USAA (Ref)
    May be limited to $1k/day available immediately (Ref), with remainder held for 1 week. User experience: $5k/day. One person reported shutdown after a few months, doing less than 5K mo in MO deposits.(Ref)
  • Wells Fargo
    $2500/day $5000/mo ($1000/day $3000/30days for new accounts < 180 days) (Ref)
    user experience: multiple <=$500 (Ref); WU MO (Ref)

Do not allow MO deposits via Smartphone:
  • Ally
  • Amalgamated Bank (cannot deposit MOs via mobile app)
  • Aspiration
  • Bank of America
    Not reliable MO reading (Ref)
    Effective 2/23 BofA no longer accepts mobile deposits of MOs or TCs. (Ref)
  • Bank of the West
  • Barclays. The terms state MOs are not allowed. MG worked twice but not again!
  • Capital One 360 (won't accept MO via mail in deposit either)
  • Chase
  • Discover Checking* (NUMEROUS REPORTS MONEY ORDERS ARE NO LONGER ALLOWED); user experience: <2k (Ref); 2 days to post (Ref); terms do not explicitly state a limit (Ref)
  • Eastern Bank. $2500 per day, $7500 per month. Update 3/22/16: Per chat, Eastern no longer accepts MO over Mobile Deposit
  • Fidelity Investments - no MO's accepted at all
  • Fiserv-based credit unions
  • Fulton Bank
  • Huntington Bank
  • LMCU Will shut down MO deposits for high volume.
  • Navy Federal Credit Union
  • PNC (Ref)
  • Radius Bank: Mobile deposits no longer allowed
  • Sallie Mae (actually, does not accept money order deposits at all)
  • Santander: MG and WU are a no go
  • TD Ameritrade: doesn't take MO period. Not by app, mail, or in person.
  • TIAA-Direct (3 checks per business day, $10K per day) No longer viable after calls by Candy in Sep 2014.
  • Vanguard - No MO's accepted at all

Allowed Via ATM:
  • BoA - may be deposited at ATM (Ref)
    (Ref)
  • Bank of Oklahoma (BOK)
  • Cambridge Savings Bank (Boston MA area) - accepts MoneyGram at ATM, haven't tested others yet, fund post in 1-2 business days, automatic detection doesn't usually work (have to edit the check amounts) (ref)
  • Capital One Bank/360 - automatic amount detection for Western Union, posts within 1-3 days; Auto detects MoneyGram if the ink is dark enough, available next 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref); USPS accepted, but not auto detected, available 1-3 days (Mar 17 Ref).
  • Chase - about four days to clear (Ref) (Ref). Cleared next day.
  • Citi
    Haven't been able to successfully deposit Western Union but MoneyGram usually works. No longer works, have to deposit with teller.
  • Citizens: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; if read incorrectly or not at all you can manually edit amount
  • Huntington - Since the ATM upgrade, WU MO gets rejected. Needs to be deposited with teller.
  • KeyBank: Will accept Western Union money orders. Refuses to accept MoneyGram (from WM) money orders. Recent 2016 reports of problems and risk of shutdown if
  • M&T Bank -- can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • PNC Bank: ATM will automatically detect amount as long as ink isn't faded; told by teller that ATMs have no problems accepting MO deposits
  • Santander - ATM accepts MoneyGram, often need to edit the amount. Reports of locked funds, YMMV. (ref)
  • TD Bank
  • USAA
  • US Bank, can deposit MoneyGram, but you have to enter the amount manually.
  • Webster Bank - accepts MoneyGram, need to enter amount manually, funds available next day (Ref), same with USPS Money Orders (Ref) and Western Union
  • Wells Fargo accepts MoneyGram
  • going over even just a few thousand a month.
Print Wikipost

Banks that allow Money Order deposits via Smartphone or ATM(2017-onward)

Old Jul 22, 2017, 10:17 pm

Originally Posted by financialhippie
Yes, or you can always just make multiple payments.

...or not pay in full and let interest accumulate, spiraling into debt and the terror of servitude to the banks. I suggest the first option
Lol the first option defiantly seems more appealing. But wont chase find it suspicious that i'm paying my cc bill out of multiple bank accounts? or at least that's what ive heard. i don't plan on doing an major MS, maybe 2k a month to meet the minimum spends
Old Jul 23, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!
Originally Posted by GoldenMonkey34
After doing extensive research throughout the various threads i believe i finally have the knowledge available to dip into some small MS to start off, but i do have one question:

I was looking at opening a WF account to deposit my MO in order to keep it separate from my personal checking account through SEFCU, but after i get the MO deposits should i then pay my cc bill directly through WF or withdrawal the money and deposit it into my SECFU account then proceed to pay the cc bill through there? Since I'm also doing organic spending on these cards, paying the bill through WF would mean i would need to transfer money from SEFCU to my WF account to cover that organic spending in order to pay it in full.
I only use a single bank acct to pay my Chase CCs. Bank Z always pays Chase Ink, Bank Y always pays CSR/United/Freedom. I only do 1 payment per month to be safe, usually right before the subsequent stmt closes.

For AmEx and USB, I'll have months where I make partial payments from 2-3 different bank accts, and in the span of a year I might pay from 5-6 different accounts.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:01 am

MO deposit to Bank of America

Any issue with depositing money order at Bank of America? It's not one of my regular banks but I don't want to lose relationship with such a big bank that I can open CCs in the future. I did $500-$1000 in the last few months and haven't run across any issue. I don't plan to do more than $1000 a month.
I usually pay my Chase CC with online Bank D so BofA is simply for transferring MO to Bank D.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by silvervknight
Any issue with depositing money order at Bank of America? It's not one of my regular banks but I don't want to lose relationship with such a big bank that I can open CCs in the future. I did $500-$1000 in the last few months and haven't run across any issue. I don't plan to do more than $1000 a month.
I usually pay my Chase CC with online Bank D so BofA is simply for transferring MO to Bank D.
not me at ATMs. Sometimes I do 2k per visit 2-3 times per month. I try to space it out at least a week apart.
Old Jul 25, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
Originally Posted by GoldenMonkey34

Lol the first option defiantly seems more appealing. But wont chase find it suspicious that i'm paying my cc bill out of multiple bank accounts? or at least that's what ive heard. i don't plan on doing an major MS, maybe 2k a month to meet the minimum spends
I can only speak from personal experience, but I haven't had any issues with multiple payments at any of my card issuers yet (including Chase). I've been doing small-scale MS across all my Chase cards for the past 2 years, though I don't have any UR-earning cards (maybe that's the fear of multiple payment accounts?).

If I were you, I'd just move some money from the first bank to your MS bank to keep the payments simple if you're worried about it. You can do this a few ways:
  • Write a check from Bank 1 to yourself, deposit into MS Bank, pay Chase
  • Same as above, but with cash if available.
  • Transfer money from Bank 1 to MS Bank (make sure they don't have fees or at least not for the low volume you'll be transferring).
  • If anyone pays you via Venmo for anything, transfer the Venmo money out into the MS Bank, and you'll have a bit extra to cover the fees.
  • If you're buying the gift cards through a portal (I use TCB), have the portal payout to your MS Bank. You will have to float for the first month or two until funds become payable, but then you should be in decent shape, just have to keep an eye on timing and cashflow.

Last edited by financialhippie; Jul 25, 2017 at 10:14 am Reason: added Venmo and portals
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:31 am

Does anyone know if MOs can be mobile deposited with M&T, specifically, Western Union MOs?
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by perkunas
@ymarker: any update? Have you deposited additional MOs either via mobile app or ATM?

I got flagged for mobile app MO deposit yesterday. My WF account is ~3 months old with minimal activity. I deposited 2x$500 WUMOs and today I see a message saying that the money is being held til 7/7.

Is this normal or do I need to be careful about any additional MO deposits for the next few weeks? And would it be okay to take other MOs to deposit via ATM rather than the app?
That's pretty normal IMO for WF.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 4:00 pm

Just another DP to confirm what others have discussed already (I did a bunch of searches in this thread and the 2014-2016 thread).

I am able deposit a WU MO at a Capital One ATM at Target into my Capital One 360 account. First try, it rejected my check. I then just inserted it again and it worked. Going to start slowly with CapOne360 and build my way up in dep.
Old Aug 10, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: UR, United MP
Attempting to deposit a MG MO with mobile WF. Seems like its a no go. Says the amount read doesn't match entry.

Any tips or DP on MG MO and WF?
Old Aug 10, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by nudave
Welcome to FT.

Ya gotta read the thread and wiki. ^

Since I'm from ROC originally, PM me if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to help.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:47 am

deleted. atm glitch

Last edited by perkunas; Aug 15, 2017 at 12:08 pm
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:43 am

Can I deposit a money order though the bank of america App?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by el_pistolero
Doesnt work for me with WUs
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by nudave
Attempting to deposit a MG MO with mobile WF. Seems like its a no go. Says the amount read doesn't match entry.

Didn't work for me either today, and lighting / MO print was good. Believe WU MO is what works for WF, and even then they might flag it.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG RA, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Delta Silver
Originally Posted by el_pistolero
WU don't work.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.