Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

PIN available now for Visa/MC prepaid debit cards(2017-2018)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is a new thread for 2017. The old thread is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1455542-pin-available-now-visa-mc-prepaid-debit-cards-291.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Federal Reserve interpretation of Dodd-Frank financial reform regulations has resulted in Visa/MC gift cards getting PINs as of April 1, 2013.

Setting PINS
  • MetaBank VISA or Sunrise VISA -use the last four digits of the card number (or to set personal PIN call 888-524-1283)
  • US Bank VISA and Mastercard - Newer cards come with a PIN printed on cardstock inside the package. To set/reset PIN, call 866-952-5653. One person reports: VISA that has pre-set PIN locks PIN on first use if not previously reset; always call to set PIN before use. If you forget to reset the pin and you can't unload the funds to your BB, call the toll free # and ask rep. to "reset" the card and they will do some magic and you should then be able to unload the funds at WM.
  • Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla(not MyVanilla, etc) - selection of 4 digits on the first transaction becomes the PIN

At Walmat, many MCs default to credit(and fail) and require pressing a button to change the payment type to debit. Here are the workarounds:

Old POS systems (monochrome black on green terminals and replacement color terminals):
1a. Screen shows "Insert or Swipe Card Quickly" with "Espanol" button in lower right (note if your screen blinks)
1b. Swipe card
1c. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..." with with working animation in lower center and "Cancel" button in lower right
2. Press "Cancel" on the screen or red button on pad (if your screen blinks, do not hit button until after blink)
3. Press "ATM/DEBIT" from upper left
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5a. Enter PIN
5b. Screen shows "Waiting for cashier..."
6. Cashier hits blue (not green) Debit button on their side.

New POS systems (color terminal):
1. Swipe GC
2. Press "Change Payment" on screen (Yellow button on pad should also work, but screen works better for some. Timing is critical.)
3. Press "DEBIT"
4. Press "No Cash Back"
5. Enter PIN - Screen showing another 'Waiting for cashier...'.
6. Ask Cashier to hit blue color Debit button on the screen

When splitting transactions among multiple cards at a Walmart register, make sure to have the cashier hit the debit button on their physical keypad. If they hit the debit button on the touchscreen, it will not work. If your transaction got declined, try having the cashier hit 'Debit' using the physical keypad on the right of the screen.

As of 6/19/2014, Walmart rejects Debit attempts above $49.99 on all cards issued by InComm/ITC Financial Services, namely all Vanilla VISA and OneVanilla. There is no workaround.

Error Messages
DEBIT NOT AVAILABLE
Not enough funds available to cover whatever amount was typed in, or most likely NOT typed in.

DEBIT NOT APPROVED
Received when the card's monthly load limit had been reached.

HOST TIMEOUT
Connection problems. The GC may be drained but the transaction should reverse itself, and funds will become available again.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office

Can I buy MO's at Walmart using both Metabank issued VGC and US Bank issued MGC for the same transaction? For Instance, I have a $500 VGC and $500 MGC, can I buy a $1000 MO and it work out ok, or am I going to have to do some funky workarounds?
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by CJS415
Can I buy MO's at Walmart using both Metabank issued VGC and US Bank issued MGC for the same transaction? For Instance, I have a $500 VGC and $500 MGC, can I buy a $1000 MO and it work out ok, or am I going to have to do some funky workarounds?
I did one of this transactions early this month. Just swipe the MB first, follow prompts and the USBMGC last. I pressed the cancel button right after I swiped the USBMGC (I didn't do this for the MBGC) for the mode of payment options to come up where I chose DEBIT followed by the PIN screen. Timing is everything in this case because if you can't make the mode of payment screen come up, the USBGC will likely process as credit and will be rejected.

Good luck!
Old Dec 31, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by CJS415
Originally Posted by Mamibear
I did one of this transactions early this month. Just swipe the MB first, follow prompts and the USBMGC last. I pressed the cancel button right after I swiped the USBMGC (I didn't do this for the MBGC) for the mode of payment options to come up where I chose DEBIT followed by the PIN screen. Timing is everything in this case because if you can't make the mode of payment screen come up, the USBGC will likely process as credit and will be rejected.

Good luck!
make sure you tell csr you need to swipe first before they enter amount, otherwise it will default to credit and there's no option to cancel or change payment.
Old Dec 31, 2016, 8:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Elite status at local McDonalds, Carwash, and Post Office
Originally Posted by lumangoy
make sure you tell csr you need to swipe first before they enter amount, otherwise it will default to credit and there's no option to cancel or change payment.
I usually buy the MB VGC's, but there was a $10 back deal on MGC at Safeway until today, so I just bought $2k I plan to liquidate this week. The cashier was in such a good mood, she let me do 4 separate transactions so I could get $10 off each card. Thanks!!
Old Jan 27, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR

Good luck!

At some of the WMTs around me the cancel icon never pops up for me to change payment type for MC GCs. Do you know a workaround?
Old Jan 31, 2017, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by chener
At some of the WMTs around me the cancel icon never pops up for me to change payment type for MC GCs. Do you know a workaround?
You need to swipe before the cashier enters the split amount. Swipe, hit cancel, then tell the cashier the split amount. Don't enter your pin until they're done with the split.
Old Feb 1, 2017, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by chener
there is always a RED button on your pinpad, press that right after you swipe. Tell cashier I want X amount from this DC and after the amount is entered, enter your PIN. If successful, you'll see APPROVED.

IME limited experience with USBgcs, I ALWAYS make sure I have a bank DC with more than enough funds to cover for whatever amount fails. If I have 3 MBgcs and 1 USBgc, I input the MBs first since I don't have to press cancel with them and do the USBgc last doing the above steps.

It bears repeating to have BACK UP DC WITH AT LEAST $2K available funds to cover up for any VGC that fails for whatever reasons, because if let's say 3 GCs have been approved and only the last one fails, you cannot ask cashier to edit amount of MO, that is where your bank DC comes in handy so you don't have to run to the nearest ATM to take cash out (if no ATM nearby, you have a problem Houston). Cash will also work but not too many people carry a lot of cash. Spare yourself and cashier the complications arising from cancelling/voiding transaction because you don't have enough funds to pay remaining balance.

After this transaction, go somewhere to check balance on your VGC that failed. If you see the balance is 0.00, don't panic; give it up to 48 hrs (may take longer if it's a weekend) for funds to be returned to your VGC and if not, then that's the time to make a call to the card issuer, NOT WM because if you check your receipt, it'll show there a line that says WM debit decline - Reason xx >>> this is proof that money did NOT go to WM that is why you need to swipe another DC to pay whatever is the remaining balance.

HTH.
ShakuniMama likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by beast7276
You need to swipe before the cashier enters the split amount. Swipe, hit cancel, then tell the cashier the split amount. Don't enter your pin until they're done with the split.
thx
Old Feb 4, 2017, 6:01 am

there is always a RED button on your pinpad, press that right after you swipe. Tell cashier I want X amount from this DC and after the amount is entered, enter your PIN. If successful, you'll see APPROVED.

IME limited experience with USBgcs, I ALWAYS make sure I have a bank DC with more than enough funds to cover for whatever amount fails. If I have 3 MBgcs and 1 USBgc, I input the MBs first since I don't have to press cancel with them and do the USBgc last doing the above steps.

It bears repeating to have BACK UP DC WITH AT LEAST $2K available funds to cover up for any VGC that fails for whatever reasons, because if let's say 3 GCs have been approved and only the last one fails, you cannot ask cashier to edit amount of MO, that is where your bank DC comes in handy so you don't have to run to the nearest ATM to take cash out (if no ATM nearby, you have a problem Houston). Cash will also work but not too many people carry a lot of cash. Spare yourself and cashier the complications arising from cancelling/voiding transaction because you don't have enough funds to pay remaining balance.

After this transaction, go somewhere to check balance on your VGC that failed. If you see the balance is 0.00, don't panic; give it up to 48 hrs (may take longer if it's a weekend) for funds to be returned to your VGC and if not, then that's the time to make a call to the card issuer, NOT WM because if you check your receipt, it'll show there a line that says WM debit decline - Reason xx >>> this is proof that money did NOT go to WM that is why you need to swipe another DC to pay whatever is the remaining balance.

HTH.
Thanks again Mamibear- that does help.

I'm assuming the physical button also works for S/BB/GB reloads? I've never been able to get the timing right, so I just didn't bother with these stores. I suppose I need to get some practice in.
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:10 am

I'm glad to be of help @chener. Yes to your question on reloading other prepaids. I've learned a lot just doing trial n error and kept them in mind. Persistence and right timing is the key, you have to keep doing it until you make it

PSA to newbies: Head knowledge alone will not bring you anywhere until you start doing transactions. No success in your head will equate to real success unless you try. Do NOT fear failure, you can learn a lot from it.
ShakuniMama likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2017, 1:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
PSA to newbies: Head knowledge alone will not bring you anywhere until you start doing transactions. No success in your head will equate to real success unless you try. Do NOT fear failure, you can learn a lot from it.
^^
Old Mar 17, 2017, 9:01 pm

I find the POS in the link below in my walmart. Can I use my US Bank master card gift card here for MOs? I don't see any info on these POS terminals here

http://oi63.tinypic.com/mljn2h.jpg
Old Mar 18, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by rythym05
I find the POS in the link below in my walmart. Can I use my US Bank master card gift card here for MOs? I don't see any info on these POS terminals here

http://oi63.tinypic.com/mljn2h.jpg
yes, just follow instructions discussed thoroughly upthread.
Old Mar 18, 2017, 1:31 pm

Does anyone know the cause of CARD READ ERR at Kroger and other grocery stores? I thought it was a magnetic stripe issue but then I used the card at an Asian grocery store (gotta get that Bulgogi marinade) and it worked perfectly fine (ran as credit though). Card is an OV. I have run into this 3 times in the past two months. Been an OV every time.
Old May 2, 2018, 8:22 pm

Personalize PIN here:
https://mygift.giftcardmall.com/#pin

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.