Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by radonc1
I have always paid the MO fee in cash at WM without any problem with using cash. The only suggestion I have is that you make sure that your cash payment matches the fee exactly (i.e. if you are buying 2 MOs, have $1.40 in cash).
The reason for exact change is the following. If I paid the MO fee with $2 expecting $0.60 back in change, the CSR would inevitably put all $2 on the purchase price of $2001.40, thereby leaving 1 $500 GC with $0.60 on it. Since I don't want GCs with small amounts of residual change, I have taken to ensuring that does not occur by using exact change for my MO fee.
Just pay the fee in cash after swiping your cards. Then you won't have to worry about always carrying exact change.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 6:44 am
jk2

Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
So strange that Walmart can't find it, yet gc.com has clear tracking of paying to Walmart. Hope my dispute I filed is successful.
Question to all who was affected by "host timeout" error in July and didn't get the money back - was your claim with gc.com successful? I filed mine, got reply from them to work with WMT. I replied back, telling that WMT cannot find a transaction for questionable card. So, far no response from gc.com. Somehow, I am worried.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 7:28 am

I filed my dispute near the 60 day mark as I went back and forth on whether it was worth it. I even was able to provide a transaction log of the host timeouts and abort. I'm betting these guys will have a hard time even with what I provided.
Old Sep 23, 2017, 5:34 pm

noticing many walmarts on the PA area have money order machines down for weeks. Wondering if anyone else has similar data points
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:14 am

Programs: Herz PC, Gold Starwood, Platinum Holiday Inn
I normally just use the 200 staples gift cards at Wm and even then I have to be careful not to show what card I use [no giftcar policy) .. I allways stayed away from split transactions because then the cashier would look closer or ?looks like to me I was to careful... so what reason to you give for split transactions ? Limit on the debit card...
Thanks
Juergen
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by juergenritz
I normally just use the 200 staples gift cards at Wm and even then I have to be careful not to show what card I use [no giftcar policy) .. I allways stayed away from split transactions because then the cashier would look closer or ?looks like to me I was to careful... so what reason to you give for split transactions ? Limit on the debit card...
Thanks
Juergen
I would say limit debit card and only split the payment once. Two card max.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sempervivum
When did you hear that? I got a MO there yesterday with GC
Was about 2 weeks ago, heard it from another guy who I see a lot at the Money Center of another local Walmart. The clerk helping him made a comment about it too, but I haven't been back to Tysons to check. If you just got one there I will try again.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
An already annoyed (from the previous customer) WM CSM says to me today: "You know, we wouldn't even think twice or be suspicious of you guys if you could do a $1,000 charge on your gift cards." Though, they still did my $2,000 in MOs from 4 swipes.

Still nothing out there in terms of widely available $1,000 VGCs, right?
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by Jarrett
An already annoyed (from the previous customer) WM CSM says to me today: "You know, we wouldn't even think twice or be suspicious of you guys if you could do a $1,000 charge on your gift cards." Though, they still did my $2,000 in MOs from 4 swipes.

Still nothing out there in terms of widely available $1,000 VGCs, right?
Pay attention to what you just said and adjust your behavior....pretty simple if you ask me. Please don't respond with there are no $1K GCs....think about it.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 3:34 pm

Walmart is having fee free Walmart2Walmart money transfers until 9/30. Could be very interesting imho!
Old Sep 24, 2017, 6:52 pm

Originally Posted by ST4LKER
Walmart is having fee free Walmart2Walmart money transfers until 9/30. Could be very interesting imho!
https://www.walmart.com/cp/6235052

Fee Free Disclaimer

The No Fee Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria promotion ("Promotion") is subject to the following terms and conditions. Walmart in its sole discretion may modify these terms and conditions at any time, and may terminate the Promotion at any time. Promotion applies only to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria money transfers transactions initiated and completed using the "Express Money Services" function on the Walmart Application on a mobile device during the period commencing 12:01 a.m. Central Time on June 6, 2017 and ending 11:59 p.m. Central Time on September 30, 2017 ("Promotional Period").

The Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria service can only be used to send money for pickup at a Walmart location in the United States or Puerto Rico.
Promotion applies only during the Promotional Period to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfers using the Walmart Mobile application by customers at Walmart stores in the United States and Puerto Rico.
Promotion does not apply to the Bluebird2Bluebird Money Transfer Service or the Bluebird2Walmart Money Transfer Service.
Qualifying customers will not be charged a fee for such transaction, but must remit and pay to Walmart the full amount of the funds to be transferred.
All other terms and conditions applicable to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria apply.
Walmart in its sole discretion may elect to extend the Promotional Period or to terminate the Promotion at any time.

Ria is the licensed money transfer operator for all Walmart2Walmart domestic money transfer transactions. Walmart acts as the authorized agent of Ria. Ria is a registered trademark of Continental Exchange Solutions, Inc. dba Ria Financial Services, licensed as a Money Transmitter by the Department of Financial Services of the State of New York; licensed by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance, NMLS ID 920968, LICENSE NUMBER 18943; and authorized independently or through its affiliate, Ria Financial Services Puerto Rico, Inc. OCIF LICENSE NUMBER TM-031, to operate as a Money Transmitter in all United States’ jurisdictions where it conducts business.xxxxxxxx

Link above says the fee free is when you use the app.

I also read that cash is the only form of payment accepted in-store so this won't work to drain our VGCs in-store CCs may work as payment using the app but it may post as cash advance so be careful about that.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear

Fee Free Disclaimer

The No Fee Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria promotion ("Promotion") is subject to the following terms and conditions. Walmart in its sole discretion may modify these terms and conditions at any time, and may terminate the Promotion at any time. Promotion applies only to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria money transfers transactions initiated and completed using the "Express Money Services" function on the Walmart Application on a mobile device during the period commencing 12:01 a.m. Central Time on June 6, 2017 and ending 11:59 p.m. Central Time on September 30, 2017 ("Promotional Period").

The Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria service can only be used to send money for pickup at a Walmart location in the United States or Puerto Rico.
Promotion applies only during the Promotional Period to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfers using the Walmart Mobile application by customers at Walmart stores in the United States and Puerto Rico.
Promotion does not apply to the Bluebird2Bluebird Money Transfer Service or the Bluebird2Walmart Money Transfer Service.
Qualifying customers will not be charged a fee for such transaction, but must remit and pay to Walmart the full amount of the funds to be transferred.
All other terms and conditions applicable to Walmart2Walmart Money Transfer Powered by Ria apply.
Walmart in its sole discretion may elect to extend the Promotional Period or to terminate the Promotion at any time.

Ria is the licensed money transfer operator for all Walmart2Walmart domestic money transfer transactions. Walmart acts as the authorized agent of Ria. Ria is a registered trademark of Continental Exchange Solutions, Inc. dba Ria Financial Services, licensed as a Money Transmitter by the Department of Financial Services of the State of New York; licensed by the Georgia Department of Banking and Finance, NMLS ID 920968, LICENSE NUMBER 18943; and authorized independently or through its affiliate, Ria Financial Services Puerto Rico, Inc. OCIF LICENSE NUMBER TM-031, to operate as a Money Transmitter in all United States’ jurisdictions where it conducts business.xxxxxxxx

Link above says the fee free is when you use the app.

I also read that cash is the only form of payment accepted in-store so this won't work to drain our VGCs in-store CCs may work as payment using the app but it may post as cash advance so be careful about that.
Well, have all my CC's CA to $100 or less. Also, never seen online transaction would code as CA...might be useful with AGC, since their limit is $2500 per transaction...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Was about 2 weeks ago, heard it from another guy who I see a lot at the Money Center of another local Walmart. The clerk helping him made a comment about it too, but I haven't been back to Tysons to check. If you just got one there I will try again.
I'm a regular at that one and it has been ok so far. However I see so much bad behavior at that one I will not be remotely surprised if it goes down the tubes soon. Still, I'm not one to make some csr's afternoon miserable by trying to liquidate a small country's gdp in one go...
Old Sep 24, 2017, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear

Few hours ago i was talking with my friendly CSR and i was told that fee free is when you use the app to create the transfer (wally2wally) but you have to go to the store with the Code generated from the app and pay at the store, there is no way to pay using the app, also i was told that i can use cash and debit as a form of payment, no CC

I will try tomorrow and report back.
Old Sep 24, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
Pay attention to what you just said and adjust your behavior....pretty simple if you ask me. Please don't respond with there are no $1K GCs....think about it.
What are you talking about? Pay attention to what I just said to who? The employee was annoyed about something unrelated to me, and muttered that statement to me, and I merely reported it as a DP to our team here. I smiled, empathized with them, and went about my business. As did they, processing my transaction like we do every day. All my regular people behind the desk said hi while it was going on, and that was it. I'm merely reporting what a manager said, and then asked if there are still no widely available $1,000 VGCs to this group. I said nothing else to the CSM.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.