Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by leeds1972
Not sure what is going on at WM, but I just tried 20 mins ago to buy 2K of MOs using metabankVGCs cards,.......the first of my 4 cards went through fine but then all the other 3 cards timed out.......not sure what is going on especially as the first card went through fine though seeing another post from someone else with the same problem is going to stop me going to another WM tonight as it looks suspiciously like a system thing...The CSR at WM said it is likely my cards but I don't believe that....I hope this isn't the end for VGCs at WM though if it was I am sure my first card wouldn't have gone through.......I would be interested to hear from anyone who has SUCCESSFULLY used metabank VGCs today.
Same here in Metro ATL area 30 minutes ago.
My GCMall (Metabank) VGC timed out. Checked balance and everything was OK. I hope that the sky is not falling.

"Debit not approved Host Timeout"
Old Jul 22, 2017, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by touristtrap
Same here in Metro ATL area 30 minutes ago.
My GCMall (Metabank) VGC timed out. Checked balance and everything was OK. I hope that the sky is not falling.

"Debit not approved Host Timeout"
Well I am not buying anymore VGCs until this is resolved because the last thing I want is to be left holding the bag with VGCs I can't drain. I will try again tomorrow to drain the cards I have, though I would be surprised if anything is resolved before Monday. Please if someone finds that they manage to drain their metabank VGCs at WM whether that be tonight, tomorrow or Monday, to post back here as well as all those who continue to fail to drain. I am hoping and praying that this is just a glitch and not the end as I am not ready for the end!!!!!lol
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by leeds1972
Well I am not buying anymore VGCs until this is resolved because the last thing I want is to be left holding the bag with VGCs I can't drain. I will try again tomorrow to drain the cards I have, though I would be surprised if anything is resolved before Monday. Please if someone finds that they manage to drain their metabank VGCs at WM whether that be tonight, tomorrow or Monday, to post back here as well as all those who continue to fail to drain. I am hoping and praying that this is just a glitch and not the end as I am not ready for the end!!!!!lol
How could this be anything but a glitch? The cards have trouble working anywhere.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AOPA
All good here in the Midwest @8:25pm cdt
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:06 pm

Programs: All of them
The cards were failing intermittently all day, even at my local Safeway. A few went through but had to try 4-5 for every one that succeeded. Looks like some ppl are reporting it works now.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by knopfler
I had a typo in my post above. I have had success today with US Bank cards, but every Metabank card has timed out today.
Is this the US Bank VGC from Kroger? Someone else appear to have problem with this card a few days ago. Hope it works now, bc I am planning to liquidate this tomorrow
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:55 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
Is this the US Bank VGC from Kroger? Someone else appear to have problem with this card a few days ago. Hope it works now, bc I am planning to liquidate this tomorrow
I don't know about US Bank................my problem child cards are the VGCs from metabank........glad someone reported they are working somewhere.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Any success TODAY? One of my WM pos said something like unable to process. Rep said she cannot process since this morning. Haven't tried other yet. I don't know if it is a single store issue.
i bought a MO today 4:57 PM eastern time no problem. Used Meta bank VGC. southern california WM.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey
No, I was able to use some US Bank cards from Kroger with no issues today. All of the problems I ran into were with Metabank cards from Tom Thumb (Safeway).
Old Jul 23, 2017, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Premier-1K, DM,SM,BA,AA & SPG
Seems to be back to normal for meta's. Had all kinds of problems with timeouts yesterday. Today all types of metas are working for MOs.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by xshanex
Seems to be back to normal for meta's. Had all kinds of problems with timeouts yesterday. Today all types of metas are working for MOs.
Yep seems like it was just a glitch as I was able to drain metabank's VGCs today without a problem.
Can someone tell me which mastercard GCs work at WM?
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
NO, Visa Gift cards from CVS will NOT work at Walmart.
Are there any places that sell $500 metabank VGCs locally (in Northeast)? Thanks.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:57 am

Originally Posted by druryvanek26
Are there any places that sell $500 metabank VGCs locally (in Northeast)? Thanks.
Simon Malls, Stop & Shop, AutoZone, some Toys'R'Us stores, and likely others that I'm forgetting at the moment.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
I hear you. Not suggesting its small, i mean it is $500 out of my pocket. But, the cost of burning a bridge is much higher for me given the area I'm in. Now if the other 2 cards didn't get refunded and I was out $1500 I might have a different approach.
Man, struggling with what to do. It was on July 15 when I had two $465.25 cards time out on me when trying to buy MO. Then, I found both were drained and the money still has not credited back. I figure I will wait another couple days, then I need to make a decision. I greatly value my relationship with WM, but to get the "cash back" that would mean redeeming over 93K UR points and that makes me sick. But, I worry on burning a bridge if I force the issues to get them to pay me cash back.

I'd appreciate opinions now that I am at decision point.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:47 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan
I had two $465.25 cards time out on me when trying to buy MO. , but to get the "cash back" that would mean redeeming over 93K UR points
What does UR points have to do with it?

Why aren't you people who are not being cash refunded on the spot contacting the GC issuer?

They're the ones who can see the activity history.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.