Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 3, 2017, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.
The 2018 thread is here.

THIS IS A WIKI FOR AND OLD THREAD AND IS NO LONGER BEING UPDATED.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All WM registers allow 4 debit swipes per transaction, but YMMV per store and cashier. Refer to cards as debit.

-Visas issued by MetaBank work great. Pin is last 4 digits
-MC issued by US bank work good, but you need to change payment type to debit before they enter the amount in the register. Swipe and hit "Cancel" or "Change Payment" to select "Debit" on the screen and have them enter amount and then enter the pin. Pin in packaging.
-Any Vanilla product affiliated with InComm or ITC Financial Services will not work for swipes > $49.99.

NO variety or design of VISA or MC Gebit's will ever auto-drain at Walmart.

The amount of each swipe needs to be entered by the cashier. Ask to "split the payment by $$$". The Gebit must have current balance of that amount or more otherwise slip with Error 51 will print out. Warning: (YMMV) It appears (my experience on 3 occasions during prepaid card load and buying MO in 2 different WMs) that after the debit card was charged no cash could be credited back to the card. Cashier should issue cash back. Keep the slip and contact manager if in doubt. Remember date, time and register if no slip.

You cannot successfully swipe more than 4 cards in a single transaction. If the cashier screws up and enters $50.00 instead of $500.00 (thus making it impossible for 4 swipes to complete the transaction), the transaction will need to be canceled. The funds should return to your cards right away but may take 24 hours, so note the time and person helping you.

MO fee is usually 70 cents each. Subtract from your total or pay in cash.

Start slow and buy one MO to see how it works. Your store or cashier may work different and have rules that other store do not have.

Very few Kate's can sell money orders anymore.

Debit codes PDF
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/attac...0&d=1461170080
Print Wikipost

Buying Money Orders at Walmart (2017)

Search this Thread

Old May 18, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by foolvivi
Dear all,

New to the game. Just checked my local kroger and found all gc (vgc and mgc) are from US bank. However a friend told me I also need check where the gc is managed (mygiftcardsite.com or prepaidgiftbalance.com) because they are different when loading to money order. I would be very thankful if any of you can help me make it clear: as attached vgc and mgc (from prepaidgiftbalance.com), can I use them to purchase money order in walmart money center?

Thank you very much!
They work at my WM, YMMV.

At some point, you have to go out and try and see what works at your WM or if they even allow VGCs/MCGCs
Old May 20, 2017, 10:44 am

Maybe upthread, but --

Do One Vanilla Visas work for WM purchases OTHER than MOs?
Old May 20, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Maybe upthread, but --

Do One Vanilla Visas work for WM purchases OTHER than MOs?
Yes, tried and tested many times when I paid for electronics stuff that were on the clearance shelf. Payment >$49.99 went through. I changed mode of payment to debit to test if it'll change to credit and signature screen; it took payment as debit with PIN.
Old May 20, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by foolvivi
Dear all,

New to the game. Just checked my local kroger and found all gc (vgc and mgc) are from US bank. However a friend told me I also need check where the gc is managed (mygiftcardsite.com or prepaidgiftbalance.com) because they are different when loading to money order. I would be very thankful if any of you can help me make it clear: as attached vgc and mgc (from prepaidgiftbalance.com), can I use them to purchase money order in walmart money center?

Thank you very much!
If you are new, must read wiki (this one is too long)

not very active for last few years, but I think safer to buy visa (though both works, ymmv)
Old May 24, 2017, 12:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Rookie In Walmart

Went to one of my normal WM to unload some VGC yesterday and watched this guy try to unload some GC (not sure of the brand. They were white in color and in $100 denom.). He was super nervous and trying to get the amount right to be able to drain both cards. Guy was actually shaking noticeably, to the point where the CSR even picked up on this. Also kept putting down the card right in front of her and even said it was a gift card . Felt really bad for the guy to the point I almost stepped in to save him. He eventually left with only a $20 MO. I was going to give him some advice after I got my MO, but he took off like a deer. After he leaves, I calmly step up and get my 2k worth of MO and walk out. Always interesting to see how other people act when doing this hobby. Hopefully he goes back and reads some more before venturing out in the wild.
Old May 28, 2017, 7:12 am

One of my go to stores machine has been down for over six months now. Is it worth reporting...any chance that will expedite the repair process?
Old May 28, 2017, 10:20 am

I would make an anonymous phone call. That's unacceptable for regular customers. I don't how wm's machine are down so much. Other's place almost never have a down machine.
Old May 28, 2017, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by mrstraveler
One of my go to stores machine has been down for over six months now. Is it worth reporting...any chance that will expedite the repair process?
last machine standing
Old May 28, 2017, 9:08 pm

Programs: Marriott/SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
Yes worth reporting, but use nice words. I have one WM NM that the MO machine is down at least once a week. There are certain managers who know how to baby it back to health, and others who don't care and just leave it dead. So to some degree I try to be aware of the work schedule of the right managers. Don't expect Walmart to send in a new machine or repairmen or anything. Good luck!
Old May 29, 2017, 10:29 am

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
I would make an anonymous phone call. That's unacceptable for regular customers. I don't how wm's machine are down so much. Other's place almost never have a down machine.
Originally Posted by ElPresidente
Yes worth reporting, but use nice words. I have one WM NM that the MO machine is down at least once a week. There are certain managers who know how to baby it back to health, and others who don't care and just leave it dead. So to some degree I try to be aware of the work schedule of the right managers. Don't expect Walmart to send in a new machine or repairmen or anything. Good luck!

Obviously store manager is not concerned. So in that case who should I contact...corporate and give store number?
Old May 29, 2017, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Obviously store manager is not concerned. So in that case who should I contact...corporate and give store number?
Just a thought, but are you sure it's broken? And not just broken when you come in?
Old May 29, 2017, 9:34 pm

I would contact corporate. Corporate would care if they are losing MO fees to a competitor. WM isn't just losing MO fees either. If you are going to a grocery store to get mo's, then you are buying everything else there too. Talking to the store doesn't mean anything, nobody makes a move until corporate gets on their @ss. If the mo machine has been down for months, the manager should be reprimanded.
Old Jun 2, 2017, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Just a thought, but are you sure it's broken? And not just broken when you come in?
There ya go.

I've found machines broken when there's a line out the door and running fine at 8am when nobody's around.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: AAdvantage, UAmileage+,SkyMiles,Avios
Last time I bought shell gift card from my nearby Ralphs, all $ were gone within a week, i notify shell card and also talked to Ralphs supervisor, i guess there is nothing he can do and help.

Originally Posted by cajunguy
Strange occurrence today. Went into WM to buy an MO, $1k with 2 swipes. Pulled out the cards and swiped #1 - nothing. Swiped it a few times - still nothing. The clerk asked if he could try on his side. Normally I wouldn't hand them a gift card but I've worked with him before. And still nothing. We tried card #2 - nothing! He rebooted the POS terminal. Still nothing!! I pulled out card #3 and #4 , both worked. Tried #1 and #2 again after completing the transaction - nothing!!! I'll have to call see what's up. It's probably the mag stripe that isn't working. DRATS!

UPDATE: After calling the card services I found that both cards had ZERO balance, I waited for a clerk. She showed that both cards were used NOT BY ME for 2 separate purchases made in 2 different parts of Los Angeles, while I do live in Los Angeles I don't visit the locations she listed. One card had a .05 balance and the other was completely drained. I purchased these cards at the same Ralphs. Now I have to wait for the Fraud Department to clear these and send me new cards.
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:14 am

Originally Posted by Stoughton
Since it is a bit out of the way, I usually call them before coming however, this has cross my mind too. I found the corporate number and will definitely be reporting them this week 1-800-331-0085

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.