Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jun 20, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by viag8
My mortgage payment (sent via check to a large lender) just posted on my CSR and I didn't get 3x. I have it set as a recurring payment since the last promotion (make 6 recurring payments get fees waived for the first), but it looks like it doesn't make sense now.

Has someone already cancelled? Will Plastiq charge the waived fee of the first payment retroactively?
I cancelled 1-2 weeks ago and haven't been charged. Payment was supposed to be on 6/16
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:42 pm

It appears Plastiq will still accept visa for my lender as of today (6/22/17)...

Originally Posted by yugi
So far, I'm glad I've ignored the bloggers on this item. Today, 6/22/17, I set a payment to go to my mortgage lender using the Chase Fairmont visa. It processed. There was no block telling me I had to use another card and I see it as a pending transaction on my Chase account. I set up two additional future payments for early July and early August, as I have a mid-August deadline to meet a spend requirement.

@sdsearch, I'm with you. I use plastiq only to meet Minimum Required Spend if I think I may not meet MRS with organic spend.

Am I likely to be good going forward with the two future scheduled payments? Or at least for the mortgage payment for which a check was cut today?

Guess what I'm asking is this: if I get past the outright "no Visa for mortgages" block (as another posted experienced when trying to make a payment), should I expect this to code as a cash advance? I believe my lender showed up as Rent / Real Estate today when it processed--I mean on one of the Plastiq screens.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:57 pm

If you haven't already, set your cash advance limit to $0 or the lowest they will allow.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by rrgg
If you haven't already, set your cash advance limit to $0 or the lowest they will allow.
Thanks! They can only lower it to $20 and that's going to take 24 to 48 hours to process. What they were able to do immediately is lower my credit line such that 20% of that value was less than the mortgage payment itself. Evidently that's how your cash advance limit is calculated--at 20% of your credit line. At least that's what I was told by a CSR. We'll see what happens.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:37 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
I cancelled 1-2 weeks ago and haven't been charged. Payment was supposed to be on 6/16
I also canceled my recurring payments a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been charged either.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:56 pm

Will changing cards befor six payments are up trigger a cancelation? Basically switch to a non-ATT card after July 22
Old Jun 24, 2017, 4:55 am

Success!

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks! They can only lower it to $20 and that's going to take 24 to 48 hours to process. What they were able to do immediately is lower my credit line such that 20% of that value was less than the mortgage payment itself. Evidently that's how your cash advance limit is calculated--at 20% of your credit line. At least that's what I was told by a CSR. We'll see what happens.
The Plastiq mortgage transaction I made with my Fairmont Visa just posted as a non-cash item. The transaction details helpfully showed me how many Fairmont reward points I received. So, Visa for mortgages on Plastiq may live; at least for some lenders, for some time, and if you set your cash advance to $20 (as low as they allowed me); or at least less than the amount of your Plastiq payment.

Get 'ems while the gettin's good. :-) I may prepay another mortgage payment.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
The Plastiq mortgage transaction I made with my Fairmont Visa just posted as a non-cash item. The transaction details helpfully showed me how many Fairmont reward points I received. So, Visa for mortgages on Plastiq may live; at least for some lenders, for some time, and if you set your cash advance to $20 (as low as they allowed me); or at least less than the amount of your Plastiq payment.

Get 'ems while the gettin's good. :-) I may prepay another mortgage payment.
I assume you just got the normal amount of points from your Fairmont.

Is that the case? If so, even Amex SPG earns points, among others. It's only Visa that is having a fit.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
DP for people I was successful in using my CSR to pay my mortgage. Not sure if all Visas are blocked for mortgages.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by OnTheRocks
DP for people I was successful in using my CSR to pay my mortgage. Not sure if all Visas are blocked for mortgages.
Did you get 1x or 3x?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by rrgg
I assume you just got the normal amount of points from your Fairmont.

Is that the case? If so, even Amex SPG earns points, among others. It's only Visa that is having a fit.
Earned the typical 1X. Then again I've never earned more than 1X for Plastiq mortgage payments.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 8:50 am

has anyone had issues with using amex gc?

i've used them previously to pay bills and everything worked fine, trying to add a card today and i get an error that the card could not be validated?

i check on amex site and i see that it has $$ available on it, it's something on the plastic?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:46 am

https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/co..._1x_on_csrcip/

Looks like CIP still works for 3x!
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:53 am

Has anyone successfully charged a higher mortgage /rent payment than their $1500 chase CL?
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Originally Posted by slivrflyr
Has anyone successfully charged a higher mortgage /rent payment than their $1500 chase CL?
I think most people probably have higher than a $1500 CL on any card that would make using Plastic worth the expense (CSR or CIP)....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.