Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Jan 31, 2017, 10:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ed765
This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
AMEX Delta business
AMEX business platinum and business gold (Canadian)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Barclaycard Arrival World MC
Chase Ink Cash Visa
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred (should give 2x, similar to CSR -- probably expired as of 6/5/17)
Chase Sapphire Reserve (3x, coded as travel -- this appears to have expired as of 6/5/17)
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category, misc. government services)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard
US Bank Altitude Reserve Visa

Successful Payees:
AAA (Socal, Santa Ana) insurance: Electronic payment: Processed 5/21 (Sunday), Complete 5/23, Arrived-Posted 5/26
ACS: took about 2 weeks to post
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check): 2 week turnaround
Citi Mortgage: Electronic - less than 1 week turnaround as of May 2017
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax & GST/HST remittances
Firstmark Services (student loan, electronically remitted)
Fidelity Bank (Mortgage) https://www.fidelitybank.com/ks/Home.aspx
Flagstar Bank (Mortgage), electronic payment, posts in 2-3 days.
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
NA Shade & Associates LLC
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
Nationstar Mortgage, electionic payment, post in 2-3 days.
New York Community Bank (NYCB) Mortgage: check mailed by Plastiq 4/27, posted 5/1.
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
PennyMac Mortgage: 1-1.5wk turnaround
TCF Mortgage: 1.5 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wawanesa USA Insurance
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16

Restrictions
New VISA payments are not being accepted for mortgages.
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.(2017)

Old Feb 20, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
Yes. I highly recommend that you send a test payment of $1 first. My first mortgage (test) payment of $1 took something like 16 days to reach the bank. The second (real) payment was processed on Feb 9 and I think was received by bank yesterday (Feb 18) but hasn't posted yet. So down from 16 days to 9.
Appreciate the reply!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
DP. On my second mortgage payment, the timeline for cut check sent is still quite long. Granted, we had a holiday weekend, but keep this lag in mind if you have a due date.

Payment initiated: 2/9
Payment sent: 2/10
Payment delivered: 2/17
Payment posted: 2/22

All in: 13 days.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 9:20 pm

Programs: AA, Alaska, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by fr33b13
Does anyone know if Plastiq will give 2x on Amex Blue for Business?

The terms and conditions say:
Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not receive additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through third-parties (including resellers and online marketplaces) or through a third-party payment account will not receive additional points.

Is Plastiq considered a third-party payment account?
Curious to know the answer to this, too. Anyone?
Old Feb 24, 2017, 5:43 am

Originally Posted by fr33b13
Does anyone know if Plastiq will give 2x on Amex Blue for Business?

The terms and conditions say:
Merchants are assigned codes based on what they primarily sell. A purchase will not receive additional points if the merchant's code is not eligible. Purchases made through third-parties (including resellers and online marketplaces) or through a third-party payment account will not receive additional points.

Is Plastiq considered a third-party payment account?
I made a Citimortgage payment through Plastiq last month with Amex blue for business and the 2x bonus points appeared a couple of days after the payment posted
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:29 am

I need to meet the min. spend on a new Ink Preferred biz account for the 80K UR signup bonus, which likely means that I'll be making the next two rent payments through Plastiq. I understand that there's a new biz signup promo floating around (I've already got plenty of referrals!) for 2500 FFD and I have a couple of questions:

First and for clarification, does this promo simply refer to new accounts that source biz cards for payments after signup or is there actually such a thing as Plastiq Business; ie. separate from personal acct??

Now that I've knocked out the basics my question gets a bit more complex...

I've been using Plastiq to meet the min. spend threshold on cc signup offers. I've been making rent payments on-and-off for at least 4-6 months; whenever I churn a card or open a new acct. I always pay the $84-and-change fee. (approx) but it would be nice to use the signup credit from a new acct registration; which leads to my question...

What I would like to know is whether the forum collective feels that it's relatively "safe" to register new accounts (via gmail), in order to take advantage of the FFD promos - with the caveat that I would then be sending payments to the same recurring payees across multiple accounts? (not simultaneously)

Does that seem like risky activity?

I wouldn't want my rent payments to get entangled in anything messy, have my checks delayed, nor lose the ability to use Plastiq for cc spend.

Again, I've been making use of my personal account quite frequently for the past 4-6 months.

Any thoughts?

TLDR:
Can I open a second / numerous acct(s) with Plastiq using different email addresses, or will I get in trouble cutting checks to the same payees since they'll surely recognize that identical bank accounts are linked through multiple accounts?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Stgermainparis
DP. On my second mortgage payment, the timeline for cut check sent is still quite long. Granted, we had a holiday weekend, but keep this lag in mind if you have a due date.

Payment initiated: 2/9
Payment sent: 2/10
Payment delivered: 2/17
Payment posted: 2/22

All in: 13 days.
Thank you for this, I initiated on 2/15, sent on 2/16, and was getting worried.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:08 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by beachfan
Thank you for this, I initiated on 2/15, sent on 2/16, and was getting worried.
Happy to help. My first one was 16 days, I think, so definitely give it some time before panicking.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 11:02 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
I need to meet the min. spend on a new Ink Preferred biz account for the 80K UR signup bonus, which likely means that I'll be making the next two rent payments through Plastiq. I understand that there's a new biz signup promo floating around (I've already got plenty of referrals!) for 2500 FFD and I have a couple of questions:

First and for clarification, does this promo simply refer to new accounts that source biz cards for payments after signup or is there actually such a thing as Plastiq Business; ie. separate from personal acct??

Now that I've knocked out the basics my question gets a bit more complex...

I've been using Plastiq to meet the min. spend threshold on cc signup offers. I've been making rent payments on-and-off for at least 4-6 months; whenever I churn a card or open a new acct. I always pay the $84-and-change fee. (approx) but it would be nice to use the signup credit from a new acct registration; which leads to my question...

What I would like to know is whether the forum collective feels that it's relatively "safe" to register new accounts (via gmail), in order to take advantage of the FFD promos - with the caveat that I would then be sending payments to the same recurring payees across multiple accounts? (not simultaneously)

Does that seem like risky activity?

I wouldn't want my rent payments to get entangled in anything messy, have my checks delayed, nor lose the ability to use Plastiq for cc spend.

Again, I've been making use of my personal account quite frequently for the past 4-6 months.

Any thoughts?

TLDR:
Can I open a second / numerous acct(s) with Plastiq using different email addresses, or will I get in trouble cutting checks to the same payees since they'll surely recognize that identical bank accounts are linked through multiple accounts?
one data point. Over a year ago, I created an account with my wife's info. My first payment went to a payee with same info I had in my account. My wife's account was immediately suspended. I never pushed or inquired. I was happy my account was still working. I never got an expalantion. I do not know if its because of teh same payee or because I referred her, or mayby because I stupidly used the same browser session to switch.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 3:20 pm

Originally Posted by chaser123
one data point. Over a year ago, I created an account with my wife's info. My first payment went to a payee with same info I had in my account. My wife's account was immediately suspended. I never pushed or inquired. I was happy my account was still working. I never got an expalantion. I do not know if its because of teh same payee or because I referred her, or mayby because I stupidly used the same browser session to switch.
That bugs me. Why shouldn't a spouse or partner be able to have an individual account? And make payments to the same mortgage or rent or whatever?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:19 pm

I tried it with my wife's account today and it seems to have gone through okay... I wasn't able to figure out the damn 2500 FFD promo though. I've clicked dozens of biz referrals and entered every code I've seen but the most I was able to get was 400 FFD with a referral from my own personal account (to the missus). I've read that using a biz card for the transaction automatically yields a larger "reward" for the referrer than paying with a personal c.c. I'm not sure the reason.

One question re. your wife's account: did the cancellation have any (negative) effect whatsoever on the payment that was sent? Was it still received on time or was the payment delayed/cancelled/stopped/withdrawn?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 5:42 am

Programs: MR, TYP, AA, B6, DL, WN, HH, MB, 2V
My girlfriend and I both have an account to pay our rent. Sometimes she pays, sometimes I do, hers was opened first, and referred me to Plastiq, no issues so far. This has been within the last 6 months. Maybe YMMV?
Old Feb 27, 2017, 8:08 am

Originally Posted by OliverB
I tried it with my wife's account today and it seems to have gone through okay... I wasn't able to figure out the damn 2500 FFD promo though. I've clicked dozens of biz referrals and entered every code I've seen but the most I was able to get was 400 FFD with a referral from my own personal account (to the missus). I've read that using a biz card for the transaction automatically yields a larger "reward" for the referrer than paying with a personal c.c. I'm not sure the reason.

One question re. your wife's account: did the cancellation have any (negative) effect whatsoever on the payment that was sent? Was it still received on time or was the payment delayed/cancelled/stopped/withdrawn?
No negative affect on my account.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 12:12 pm

DP: 6 day turnaround for me paying Wells mortgage with Amex Business. Easy as pie--they apparently submit electronically to Wells. Glad I tried it as this is a little more expensive but MUCH easier than my usual VGC POMO route for meeting min spend.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest
DP: 6 day turnaround for me paying Wells mortgage with Amex Business. Easy as pie--they apparently submit electronically to Wells. Glad I tried it as this is a little more expensive but MUCH easier than my usual VGC POMO route for meeting min spend.
I emailed Plastiq about adding my obscure mortgage bank for their electronic payments. They were keen to do it, but after a month I still don't see it.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 3:18 pm

Just got an email offer "Schedule 6 or more rent or mortgage payments using your Mastercard by March 31, 2017, and we’ll waive the Plastiq fee for the first two payments of the series*. " but fine prints reads "*Cancellation of a promotion-qualifying schedule will result in a charge of the waived fee amount."

So do I got fee charged for first and second payment if I cancel it after third payment?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.