Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by cpnyc
thanks for a straightforward answer.

sound advice. i see the po's already has those tags about chip readers at the terminal...so this avenue will definitely be closed off in the near future.
why would that close off this avenue? it just makes it so that if there is a chip present on the card, you have to use the chip.

otherwise you use the mag stripe
Old Jun 5, 2017, 7:56 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by shitrus
why would that close off this avenue? it just makes it so that if there is a chip present on the card, you have to use the chip.

Kind off what happens with Wally World
Old Jun 5, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by carlitos
Kind off what happens with Wally World
you seem to be conflating two separate reasons for denial.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:44 am

Programs: Several dozen
Because they can? Never expect anything to make sense in the Looking Glass World of MS.

Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:17 pm

Prediction MO's with Gift Cards to Stop

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Because they can? Never expect anything to make sense in the Looking Glass World of MS.
I just got back from buying $2k of money orders from my PO of several years. Suburb west of Boston.

The clerk said they were looking at not allowing these purchases by debit card soon. It sounded like she knew what she was talking about and this will affect all you guys who do this daily.

I have over $15K I need to buy for my recent spend bonus and plan on getting it done over the next week so I am not holding anything when it occurs. The last thing I want to do is deal with Walmart.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: ANA PLATINUM,HYATT GLOBALIST, AA PLATINUM FOR LIFE, UNITED SILVER, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT TITANIUM
Originally Posted by AZDbacks17
I went in to do a 498xx Mo with normal OVGC (Bancorp) and it declined me 2 times..the card was active and the amount was correct and not a penny over.The clerk asked if I wanted to swipe on another clerks POS I said no that's ok..( I didn't want them to ask to see the card if it failed again)! I said I know I have plenty of money in my account..My clerk said they have been having problems with that POS terminal...I said oh well thanks anyway and quietly left. Went down the street to grocery store and liquidated there no problem...so it pays to have a backup plan...because even tho the PO is very reliable..sometimes things do go wrong...
Which grocery store?
Old Jun 6, 2017, 6:17 pm

that's true...sometimes i forget the po sell other products that you can use gc's to purchase.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:08 am

Programs: SPG-Hyatt-IHG-UA-AA-MR-UR
For those of you with cheaper avenues of liquidating OVGCs (eg, grocery stores), are any of you still bothering with USPS? If so, why?
Old Jun 8, 2017, 7:42 am

Originally Posted by Bsorok

I have over $15K I need to buy for my recent spend bonus and plan on getting it done over the next week so I am not holding anything when it occurs. The last thing I want to do is deal with Walmart.
If your cards are WM-eligible, you're much better off using WM to liquidate fast and cheaply. You can easily do $2k MO and $2k BP per visit, more if you want to complete paperwork and/or have addl BP accts.

Re: USPS, for some strange historic reason I have a lot of B&M post offices near me. If similar for you, you could map out a circuit, maybe hit multiple offices each day. Bonus for doing it, say, Friday and then again Saturday morning, odds are at least even that Saturday staffing will be different.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:35 am

USPS is a new avenue for me. Do the Bancorp MCs from giftcards.com need to have the pin set when you register them? I thought the PIN was last 4 of card number, but I got an invalid PIN message when I tried yesterday.

These are Bancorps I bought before they switched.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 8:40 am

Originally Posted by skierinvermont
USPS is a new avenue for me. Do the Bancorp MCs from giftcards.com need to have the pin set when you register them? I thought the PIN was last 4 of card number, but I got an invalid PIN message when I tried yesterday.

Yes, you need to set the PIN first. But FYI for others, they've switched over the Metabank recently for the MCGCs
Old Jun 8, 2017, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by skierinvermont

PIN for MCs is not last 4 - you need to set it.

Also, GC.com just started shipping new MCGCs on June 1. They are Metabank issued and do not work at USPS.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by chener
For those of you with cheaper avenues of liquidating OVGCs (eg, grocery stores), are any of you still bothering with USPS? If so, why?

I just like to have a variety of places to liquidate. I have 3 grocery stores and 3 post offices within 10 miles that all take OVGC, and I just like to break up my frequency to each of the locations. The difference in MO price is negligible to me, so I just try to alternate. I also don't like to do more than one GC at a time, so that factors into it, especially as I am just starting to MS. As I get more comfortable I will probably start doing 1k at a time, but for now, just doing 500 at a time, I like to switch it up. I also only buy OVGC from WG right now, so I go to PO and grocery that are close to the WG I buy from.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT

I got shut down at a post office in downtown chicago today (worked fine there 2 weeks ago). Clerk asked me to see the card I was paying with, showed a B of A debit card. Then swiped my GC, she said "it look like you changed cards". And then refused to do the transaction. She went to get the supervisor, but the supervisor was out. She said I could talk to the postal inspector if I want.

I went to one a few blocks away and had no issues.

I think we have to hope for clerks who have short term memories, new clerks, ones who just don't care, or maybe even just do one transaction for $500 (and be sneakier about changing the card).

What other places can I liquidate OVGCs at?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by bellbm
I got shut down at a post office in downtown chicago today (worked fine there 2 weeks ago). Clerk asked me to see the card I was paying with, showed a B of A debit card. Then swiped my GC, she said "it look like you changed cards". And then refused to do the transaction. She went to get the supervisor, but the supervisor was out. She said I could talk to the postal inspector if I want.

I went to one a few blocks away and had no issues.

I think we have to hope for clerks who have short term memories, new clerks, ones who just don't care, or maybe even just do one transaction for $500 (and be sneakier about changing the card).

What other places can I liquidate OVGCs at?

Pretty stupid idea switching cards IMO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.