Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: shdflyer
11/3/17: The vast majority of popular prepaid debit cards are now blocked via a register hardcode at most locations.

This is the thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

Newbies: READ for days and learn before trying. It is best to know what you are doing, so start slow. Refer to cards as "Debit" not gc.

"Money orders can be purchased at any Post Office™ location.
Pay for your money order with cash, debit card, or traveler’s checks."

Fees:
$0.01 to $500.00: $1.20
$500.01 to $1,000.00: $1.60

Most post offices allow split payment (multiple debit cards) for one money order up to a max of $1000.

Example of how to split payment:

1. "One MO please for $998.40. Id like to pay with 2 debit cards, $500 on each."
2. Swipe first card and enter pin.
3. Remind teller that its "$500 on that card". They will change the amount on their screen to $500. Transaction goes through and a small receipt prints.
4. Swipe 2nd card, enter pin.
5. Done.

Note: If you encounter a problem with the second card and have to cancel the transaction, it can be very difficult to recover your funds on the first card. Always have a back-up payment method available (bank debit card or cash).

GC Information: The fine print on the back of the package shows the bank issuer. Don't buy GCs with tampered packaging and always use cards ASAP.

Visa OneVanilla and Vanilla GC issued by Bancorp work at PO.

Visa/MC Gift Cards issued by MetaBank have not had any success at MOST USPS anywhere in the country since around September 2016.
These will NOT work if the clerk uses a touchscreen
These MAY work, and often do, at small, rural post offices where clerks do not have touch screens.

Visa Gift Cards from Walmart issued by Green Dot have stopped working for MO purchases for some.

GAME MOSTLY OVER, MOST USPO are HARD CODED to NOT ACCEPT NON BANK DEBIT CARDS
Exception seems to be small, rural post offices where clerks do not use touch screens.
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office(2017-2018)[Gift Cards no Longer Allowed]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:24 am

Historically I have had pretty good experience buying MOs at USPS, but today ran into a little speed bump, as follows:

I was the bank, depositing a half dozen or so USPS MOs. Teller had problem processing one of them, and traced it to several of the MICR digits being lightly printed (or partially worn off). You could still tell it matched with the MO serial number, but not machine readable;she advised that it could be returned if she forced it through her work.

I took the MO, which was for $998.xx, to a nearby PO,to either cash or get replacement. The USPS clerk said he couldn't cash it, as he didn't have enough cash in his drawer (he showed me screen showing he had about $650 in cash), and that he couldn't "buy" any cash from another clerk.

When I asked if I could just get a replacement MO, without paying another MO fee, he refused -- said that I would have to pay another $1.60 for a new MO.

Instead of wasting time & gas trying to find another PO with sufficient cash, I just sucked it up and purchased another MO for the same amount, and paying the fee in cash.

TLDR; when acquiring MOs, make sure everything is legible, and also don't carry in your wallet too long, where ink can rub off.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:25 pm

Originally Posted by buruch
Tried my variable usbmc again, and no go. But vanilla went through just fine. Any pattern as to which variable usbmc work and which don't?
This is very disconcerning about USB MCGCs. Are others still having issues?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
is today the anniversary of the Little Big Horn or something?
Lots of indian references...
Nah, just throwing back to the old days of the Pony Express.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 7:49 pm

MCGC issued by Bancorp can be used to buy MO's at USPS, right? After researching this and other threads, that seemed to be the case. But someone recently told me I was wrong. Can anyone confirm?
Old Apr 24, 2017, 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
MCGC issued by Bancorp can be used to buy MO's at USPS, right? After researching this and other threads, that seemed to be the case. But someone recently told me I was wrong. Can anyone confirm?
Confirmed.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: Several dozen
Can confirm everything in MS is YMMV. Remember:

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the MS Zone.

Originally Posted by brody24
Old Apr 25, 2017, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Can confirm everything in MS is YMMV. Remember:

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the MS Zone.
So true. Perhaps, instead of asking for objective answers, I should just go and try it for myself
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by LearninghowtoMS
Yesterday (Friday), came into my usual USPS in MA.. the clerk who knows exactly what I am doing and say it's not illegal and she is MSing too, told me that she vaguely saw a memo to not allow buying MO with VGC anymore.. I assume the memo she received is similar to the one posted the other day (http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/28202809-post544.html).

She ran into the back and hop on the computer when I was at the counter to check and she couldn't find it (she was on vacation and just got back). She ended up letting me unload my $2k of cards and I sat there and chit chat with her (she is the only one at this PO and I was the only customer).

She say they may not let her split tender anymore and may want us to do one MO per card to collect the additional fees.. but she is unsure. She is going to talk to her Postmaster about it who is aware of MSing and MO.. I told her I would pop in and check with her next week before I go buy more OV..
Man, you've the most chill/coolest postal service worker ever.
I had one PO worker that was a-ok with letting me get 2k in MO everyday at one particular post office here in NYC (midtown and UWS). I've met my spend requirements on my Delta Reserve so I was able to stop MS'ing and haven't for the last month... right when the issues of using GC seems to become a problem.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: United 1k, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by FrankMS
$3K will generate a form and cause suspicion if you don't have a relationship with the clerk. If you know the clerk, and they're okay with what you do, you only need to fill out the form once, then you'll be in the system.

If there's a swipe limit at the PO, I haven't found it yet.
So what does the form actually do? The clerk misheard me the other day and thought I was saying $4k instead of $1k and brought one over. Is there any risk or concerns involved with filling it out?
Old Apr 25, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
I was able to stop MS'ing and haven't for the last month
does not compute
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:02 pm

Originally Posted by heychrisbaker
Man, you've the most chill/coolest postal service worker ever.
I had one PO worker that was a-ok with letting me get 2k in MO everyday at one particular post office here in NYC (midtown and UWS). I've met my spend requirements on my Delta Reserve so I was able to stop MS'ing and haven't for the last month... right when the issues of using GC seems to become a problem.
Just noting that more widespread issues conveniently coincided with your deciding to formally complain to the USPS about their not accepting your GCs.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by Lavezzi
So what does the form actually do? The clerk misheard me the other day and thought I was saying $4k instead of $1k and brought one over. Is there any risk or concerns involved with filling it out?
Here's a link to the form. You only need to fill it out once and then you'll be in the USPS system if it's required again. I would not attempt the form if you don't have a good rapport with your clerk. Buying MO's at the PO is not illegal, but to a clerk who doesn't know you, it looks suspicious using so many GC's for a purchase.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
is today the anniversary of the Little Big Horn or something? Lots of indian references...
Chief Churn Like Crazy was the original MSer.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Here's a link to the form. You only need to fill it out once and then you'll be in the USPS system if it's required again. I would not attempt the form if you don't have a good rapport with your clerk. Buying MO's at the PO is not illegal, but to a clerk who doesn't know you, it looks suspicious using so many GC's for a purchase.
DP from NOVA today.

This is the form I was asked to fill out today. I use this USPS 2-3 times weekly and never been asked to fill out anything, I consider myself to be on a friendly basis with all the clerks there.

Today, the clerk handed me the form and stated the Postmaster needed me to complete it. I read it over and told them it didn't apply to me (I was buying a $1k MO) but the clerk insisted. I stated I am not going to fill it out and proceeded to walk out.

When I turned around that's when I realized the Postmaster was actually standing behind me the whole time. He stated something along the lines of, "That's known as Smurfing." I told him I have no idea what that means, and he and I talked as I walked to my car. Very cool Postmaster, first and foremost, he explained the reason for the form was due to money laundering concerns from the head office. I told him point blank, I was doing this solely for the airline points, and I have no intention of submitting my information. He seemed surprised at the candid response, stated he believes me, and told me he will process the purchase for me.

So now I have this 1k MO but I am also paranoid as hell.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by fangtl
DP from NOVA today.

This is the form I was asked to fill out today. I use this USPS 2-3 times weekly and never been asked to fill out anything, I consider myself to be on a friendly basis with all the clerks there.

Today, the clerk handed me the form and stated the Postmaster needed me to complete it. I read it over and told them it didn't apply to me (I was buying a $1k MO) but the clerk insisted. I stated I am not going to fill it out and proceeded to walk out.

When I turned around that's when I realized the Postmaster was actually standing behind me the whole time. He stated something along the lines of, "That's known as Smurfing." I told him I have no idea what that means, and he and I talked as I walked to my car. Very cool Postmaster, first and foremost, he explained the reason for the form was due to money laundering concerns from the head office. I told him point blank, I was doing this solely for the airline points, and I have no intention of submitting my information. He seemed surprised at the candid response, stated he believes me, and told me he will process the purchase for me.

So now I have this 1k MO but I am also paranoid as hell.
Is there any 'statistics' showing that there is a higher / lower likelihood of having PI appear at your doorstep if you fill / dont fill out the form? or vice versa?

I am also on friendly basis with the PO I go liquidate, to the extent that when they see my face, the first question they ask me is "how much for today?". Or if they dont see me for a while, they will ask me why I havent come in such a long time. They even told me there are a couple of guys who come in regularly to do $60K in one-go and hold up the line for 1.5 hours. So since they volunteer this info, I decided to ask them (in a neutral tone) whether they are okay with that or not, and they replied me (without rancor), "well, customers are always right!" I just said, well, I hope they are nice to you, and somewhat help with your sales target. They claim that technically MO purchase (considering the amount of processing time) doesnt really translate to a high amount of [sales/time spent]. Which I can totally see their point - if you exclude those people who take 15 min to mail out one package by priority

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.