Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by perkunas
You need to drink at least 6 beers before AlohaDave starts making any sense. Or he needs to drink 6 before you make sense. Or else go spend 6 months reading the Trick It thread and then come back here and everything will make sense.
I'll just pretend like I don't speak his language
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: UA gold
Ironically, here is my 2nd post.

All my accounts with Citi has been blocked this Saturday(I don't know if I should use the word "shut down"). Credit management didn't mention those you-know-what-it-is activity in my DC card. I did 1.5x CL per cycle though.

The reason they cite is they get an alert from credit bureau saying that I have lots of recent credit inquires (3 or 4 in last three months) and increased credit limits, not to mention I just got approved for Presitge. They specific mentioned I have more than 100K unsecured credit limit, creating great credit risk. Yes, I just go over 100k mark due to recent CLI and card improve.

Decision is not reversible. However, I did ask if they could reinstate my accounts once I lower my total CL. They said this is possible but it would result in another HP. Fine, at least it is somehow feasible.

This does reminds me of those poor folks who asked for retention offer but actually got card cancelled. Then to get those cards reinstated, it would need another HP as well.

P.S. I did remember starting from last week, when I make a payment for DC, the available credit won't immediately update. It does happened before and it took 10 days to clear. However, it won't change when I used another bank account. So I believe this is somehow connected.

Last edited by ezakipocky; Aug 14, 2017 at 12:03 pm Reason: More detail
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ezakipocky
Ironically, here is my 2nd post.

All my accounts with Citi has been blocked this Saturday(I don't know if I should use the word "shut down"). Credit management didn't mention those you-know-what-it-is activity in my DC card. I did 1.5x CL per cycle though.

The reason they cite is they get an alert from credit bureau saying that I have lots of recent credit inquires (3 or 4 in last three months) and increased credit limits, not to mention I just got approved for Presitge. They specific mentioned I have more than 100K unsecured credit limit, creating great credit risk. Yes, I just go over 100k mark due to recent CLI and card improve.

Decision is not reversible. However, I did ask if they could reinstate my accounts once I lower my total CL. They said this is possible but it would result in another HP. Fine, at least it is somehow feasible.

This does reminds me of those poor folks who asked for retention offer but actually got card cancelled. Then to get those cards reinstated, it would need another HP as well.

P.S. I did remember starting from last week, when I make a payment for DC, the available credit won't immediately update. It does happened before and it took 10 days to clear. However, it won't change when I used another bank account. So I believe this is somehow connected.
Do you have a long credit history in general?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 4:35 pm

Originally Posted by Superorb
Do you have a long credit history in general?
Average Age 1 yr 2 mos
Oldest Account 3 yrs 10 mos

Have been with Citi for 2 yrs 3 mos
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:41 pm

Weigh this carefully before you ask for reinstatement of account and agree to HP, if you haven't done it. My friend just went through this, she was assured they will reinstate two of her DC accounts but it requires HP to which she agreed...only to get postal mail a week later saying that after careful deliberation, they decided to cut off their business relationship with her. She's livid up to now.

We asked her what may have flagged her account and she *thinks* it's cycling her $3K CL 8x and her recent venture into WMBP (she made six payments). It's now water under the bridge, she feels bad her CB that hasn't posted was forfeited

We should be aware that once our accounts get flagged for manual review and we know we've been using the card(s) for a lot of MS, we should realize the chances of re-instatement is very low so better not risk another HP.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
Weigh this carefully before you ask for reinstatement of account and agree to HP, if you haven't done it. My friend just went through this, she was assured they will reinstate two of her DC accounts but it requires HP to which she agreed...only to get postal mail a week later saying that after careful deliberation, they decided to cut off their business relationship with her. She's livid up to now.

We asked her what may have flagged her account and she *thinks* it's cycling her $3K CL 8x and her recent venture into WMBP (she made six payments). It's now water under the bridge, she feels bad her CB that hasn't posted was forfeited

We should be aware that once our accounts get flagged for manual review and we know we've been using the card(s) for a lot of MS, we should realize the chances of re-instatement is very low so better not risk another HP.

Before she asked for reinstatement, did she do anything? Did Citi give any instruction or suggestion (or whatever it is) like in my case?
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:17 pm

Before she asked for reinstatement, did she do anything? Did Citi give any instruction or suggestion (or whatever it is) like in my case?
she didn't mention, we were more interested on what caused her account(s) to get flagged for shutdown. I know she reads FT, hopefully she chimes in.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Time to ditch Citi. They discovered that your business is not as profitable as laundering money through Banamex (even though your activity won't cost them the $100 million in fines they paid for getting caught money laundering).

There are plenty of other opportunities swirling on the horizon - its a Banknado out there.

...We should be aware that once our accounts get flagged for manual review and we know we've been using the card(s) for a lot of MS, we should realize the chances of re-instatement is very low so better not risk another HP...
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:11 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry

They said this is possible but it would result in another HP.
Its not up to this "they" you spoke to.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by mhdena
Its not up to this "they" you spoke to.
Mind elaborate a little more?
Old Aug 15, 2017, 9:56 am

She *thinks* cycling 8x along with WMBP might have raised a red flag huh? I think she might be onto something.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:43 am

B@rclay shutdown

Any thoughts on the following:
1) Bonus: I have 2 cards that I met the bonus requirements, but have not received the bonus. CFPB to try and get the bonus?
2) Annual Fee: Hit with annual fee last month for 2 new cards. Wait or CFPB?
3) Arrival+ Current Balance: Its less than 20K points so not a ton, but whats the easiest way to get paid?

I'm guessing some others on here might have been in the same situation. Interesting in that MS was very minimal with Barclay recently. I was using it mostly for regular purchases. Maybe the regular purchases got me shutdown.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
B@rclay shutdown

1) Bonus: I have 2 cards that I met the bonus requirements, but have not received the bonus. CFPB to try and get the bonus?
3) Arrival+ Current Balance: Its less than 20K points so not a ton, but whats the easiest way to get paid?

I'm guessing some others on here might have been in the same situation. Interesting in that MS was very minimal with Barclay recently. I was using it mostly for regular purchases. Maybe the regular purchases got me shutdown.
I've never had problems with Barclays and I've hit them pretty hard over the last two years. Additionally, I haven't seen many DPs here or elsewhere of Barclays shutdowns. I'd try the CFPB for the bonuses since you have nothing to lose at this point. Sorry for your troubles mate.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:14 am

B@rclay shutdown

Ask Ariana Arghandewal from Pointchaser about her experience with redeeming points after all her Barclay CCs got shut down a few months ago.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
B@rclay shutdown

Were you paying from a checking account?

Any CL cycling?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.