Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
I do up to $100k per card per month..sometimes more
I will just ask, what is the unicorn you are using to liquidate?
Old Jun 24, 2017, 7:38 pm

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
That is incredible. It's got to be a fulltime job for you. Liquidating whatever gift cards you buy would take some time.

We do a total of about $8K per month and think we are hitting it hard. You are my MS idol.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:35 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Lots of biz owners can hit $100k spend a month per card, but not just through buying GCs.

Old Jun 24, 2017, 10:59 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler
That is incredible. It's got to be a fulltime job for you. Liquidating whatever gift cards you buy would take some time.

We do a total of about $8K per month and think we are hitting it hard. You are my MS idol.
$100k / month is pocket change, in the glory days of WF 5x the target was $300-400k+ .... that became a half-time job.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Why weren't you honest with your credit union? Had you been honest, you could've backed up your reasoning with receipts and may have possibly protected your relationship.
I agree 100%.

Guilt is a heavy burden to bear, (even when the Guilty Feeling Person isn't guilty of any crime.

Honesty with financial institutions is a sound policy.

Banks don't have the first clue what MS* looks like, (but they know what ML looks like, and they'll always default to CYA).
Old Jun 25, 2017, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by NoonRadar
Here's that thread. I haven't read recent comments though so not sure if there's a clear pattern, like how far back is Chase going for recently open Chase cards and what kind of overall (across all banks) numbers of recent new accounts & inquiries seems to get people shut down.
Efff Chase. Their cards aren't even worth talking about anymore. I refuse to let them dictate my strategy.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by cheaptimesharetraveler

Its certainly all relative as what is "heavy" MS. I'm like you and do maybe 10k per month, and thats all I really have time for given my time-intensive job, along with my desire to have some free time to relax and spend with family. If I spent every non-working hour liquidating GC's and buying MO's, I would have no time left for anything.

Its also a function of how much income you have and what the opportunity cost is. For some, if they don't MS insane amounts, there is no way they could travel well and treat themselves. For others with high incomes, they can still afford the great trips and biz class accommodations, so all the time really isn't worth it.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 11:33 am

Programs: Several dozen
True, in the days of the coin you could do $75k a day using credit cards and in the day of the Grand Slam you could earn one million points a day holding 10 bingo cards.

"Where now the coins and Grand Slammers?
Where is the tooting of horns that was blowing?
Where is Mr. Pickles and the Thai Rice Farmers, and all the miles flowing?
Where is the hand on the purse string, and the Red Birds crowing?
Where is the spring and the harvest and the all the points growing?
They have passed like rain on the mountain, like a wind in the meadow;
The days have gone down in the West behind the hills into shadow.
Who shall gather the smoke of the dead deals burning,
Or behold the flowing fears from the Sea drying?"

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
$100k / month is pocket change, in the glory days of WF 5x the target was $300-400k+ .... that became a half-time job.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
sorry for everyone to be upset by me not posting the info.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y) Chase. Slate (4k) and CFU (35k)
2. Length of account before closure and CL? 2 years
3. Volume of ms per month and how many months? 30-35k each month for the last 24 months.
4. Cycle CL? No
5. Did you BP using both options? No. Just initiating billpay through Chase.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Lots of biz owners can hit $100k spend a month per card, but not just through buying GCs.
Only GCs. Easy enough to liquidate. $10k doesn't take long to liquidate.
Old Jun 28, 2017, 3:16 pm

My huntington checking account was closed. Do anyone know if this is a blacklist? Could I reopen it in the future? How long?
Old Jun 28, 2017, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by ericliujian
My huntington checking account was closed. Do anyone know if this is a blacklist? Could I reopen it in the future? How long?
+1, shutdown last year
Old Jun 29, 2017, 5:15 am

Citizen$ shut me down......used to deposit about 20k/mo for about 2 years but then had a better option for a long while and when i turned back to them they canned me after about 2 months. Not so much as a phone call. I thought they were pretty solid up to this point.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
+1, shutdown last year
Did you try to reopen? Is this one blacklist me?
Old Jun 29, 2017, 3:23 pm

What kind of volumes of MOs deposits were you guys doing on Hunt & Citiz and for how long? Biz or personal checking?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.