Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by shitrus
Chase just shut down my CFU and my Slate Account, and I know of at least one more person that was shut down today.
Any idea as to why? Heavy MS on the card?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 11:30 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
not in the last 7 months. Only was doing 30k out of 35k ms (three trips to simon) with regular spend in there as well for the month.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 2:36 pm

not in the last 7 months. Only was doing 30k out of 35k ms (three trips to simon) with regular spend in there as well for the month.
U talking about 30K, not 3K right? Wouldn't anything above like 10K considered risky volume?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 5:30 pm

30k per month?
did you open up any new cards recently?
Old Jun 22, 2017, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
I would consider 30k/month on one card to be heavy MS.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Chase just shut down my CFU and my Slate Account, and I know of at least one more person that was shut down today.
you weren't doing 30K on a slate where you?
Old Jun 23, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
no, it was just chilling there not being used.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by brody24
Any idea as to why? Heavy MS on the card?
Chase has a new team that is shutting down cards based on multiple hard credit pulls in a short period of time (even non-Chase ones!). DoC has a thread on it.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Chase has a new team that is shutting down cards based on multiple hard credit pulls in a short period of time (even non-Chase ones!). DoC has a thread on it.
Here's that thread. I haven't read recent comments though so not sure if there's a clear pattern, like how far back is Chase going for recently open Chase cards and what kind of overall (across all banks) numbers of recent new accounts & inquiries seems to get people shut down.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 4:12 pm

Programs: HH D i a m o n d !!!

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

3. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
4. Cycle CL?
5. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by Vis/MC
Old Jun 23, 2017, 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by perkunas

3. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
4. Cycle CL?
5. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by Vis/MC
I agree. This thread has become 1 person saying "well XXX closed my account," followed by multiple people asking questions like the ones you mentioned, only to have the OP respond days later.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 6:22 am

Originally Posted by guywhocan
Just got shutdown letter from Santander bank. Must close within 30 days. Had personal checking and savings acct for 5 years, depositing $20-$50k in USPS and WM MOs per month, direct deposit of paycheck, paid CCs through direct debit. Carried account balance of $10k - $50k. ACH deposits into Santander from other banks. In NJ.

Got a friendly call from a local branch asking about MO activity. Explained that this was part of my business. They suggested opening a business acct instead. The two weeks later got the shutdown letter from Boston.

Any suggestions for a new bank or CU?
Why weren't you honest with your credit union? Had you been honest, you could've backed up your reasoning with receipts and may have possibly protected your relationship.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:41 am

Programs: Alaska, Shell VC, Wyndham VC, Starwood, RCI, II--I bought it on eBay!
It's kind of important to put the information from the wiki into your posts, so we have an idea of why you were shut down. I notice most people aren't doing that.

Opening an account and hitting MS hard over the first few months would not be a good idea.

Paying your balance constantly during the month to free credit for more purchases is not a good idea.

Having a checking account that is associated with the bank involved with deposits of MO, not a good idea. (We have mostly Chase cards and would never open a checking account with Chase, even with the $500 offer when we log into our credit cards.)

Being abusive to a customer service person when you have a problem with your credit, also not a good idea.

I can think of more, but you get the idea.

Give us info, and we can maybe enlighten you as to why your account was closed.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FrankMS
Why weren't you honest with your credit union? Had you been honest, you could've backed up your reasoning with receipts and may have possibly protected your relationship.
I agree with the above, especially since he had a 5 year relationship there, he should have complied and did what they asked, thanking them along the way.
Old Jun 24, 2017, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by msiamsia
U talking about 30K, not 3K right? Wouldn't anything above like 10K considered risky volume?
I do up to $100k per card per month..sometimes more

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.