Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 6, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2017. The 2018 discussion can be found here.

When reporting/posting here please give as many details as you can or you will be asked for it anyways. Copy and paste the text below and alter as needed.

1. SHUTdn by Bank, Credit Card info. (@m3x, chs3 ,c1t1 and brcl@y)
2. Length of account before closure and CL?
3. Average monthly account balance checking and savings?
4. Volume of ms per month and how many months?
5. Cycle CL?
6. Did you BP using both options?
- BP by issuing bank (@m3x, chs3, c1t1 and brcl@y)
- BP by Vis/MC
7. Did you spell out the bank's full name in an internet forum?
Print Wikipost

2017 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by mhdena
Has your credit score taken a big drop recently?
This wasn't directed to me, but I'll add my 2¢. When I got what was the USDM MC (that became Aviator Red and then Silver), my score was pretty low and I hadn't gotten new cards in years. I added Arrival+ just over a year later and have consistently gotten CL increases as my score has climbed (helped primarily by larger CLs at other institutions). And now, gone. So I also wonder if it relates to having opened what they consider to be an excessive number of *other* cards overall.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 5:34 pm

Programs: Several dozen
One of those goals to become a bug on the windshield?

Originally Posted by Chelski
Gotta cycle to hit goals
Old Jan 15, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: AS,AA,JB, HH Gold, Starriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Explorist, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Carl
my score has climbed (helped primarily by larger CLs at other institutions). And now, gone. So I also wonder if it relates to having opened what they consider to be an excessive number of *other* cards overall.
Its not the number of cards that will do anyone in, its the overall utilization of available credit.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
One of those goals to become a bug on the windshield?
If you cycle enough you're bound to eat a few bugs along the way
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:09 am

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by mhdena
Its not the number of cards that will do anyone in, its the overall utilization of available credit.
Some banks aren't exactly fond of those who open numerous accounts with multiple institutions (seeing potential churners as unwanted customers), hence my comment (completely unrelated to utilization).
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:54 am

Some banks aren't exactly fond of those who open numerous accounts with multiple institutions (seeing potential churners as unwanted customers), hence my comment (completely unrelated to utilization).
"I added Arrival+ just over a year later and have consistently gotten CL increases as my score has climbed (helped primarily by larger CLs at other institutions). And now, gone."

I'm unclear of what's gone. Did you close the Arrival+ or auto-CLI or your high FICO score is gone?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:36 pm

Originally Posted by vagrants
"I added Arrival+ just over a year later and have consistently gotten CL increases as my score has climbed (helped primarily by larger CLs at other institutions). And now, gone."

I'm unclear of what's gone. Did you close the Arrival+ or auto-CLI or your high FICO score is gone?
As mentioned multiple times in this thread, all Barclaycard accounts were closed. Barclays had done this to multiple people this month regardless of other recent positive actions.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:07 pm

As mentioned multiple times in this thread, all Barclaycard accounts were closed. Barclays had done this to multiple people this month regardless of other recent positive actions.
Well, majority of CC issuers don't like MSers. If one card get closed by MSing, they generally close all. They just don't want to do business with MSers regardless of other recent positive actions. The question would be if one has been blacklisted or not. If one has, how long will it take to get off of the blacklist...generally speaking....and this is nothing new....

I don't think I've heard stories about CC churners getting their account closed...churners have difficult time opening new accounts I rather hear...I don't play with Barclay much, so I haven't cared however....unlike other CC institutions, they might care...but I have heard people having 20-30 inqs still fine with Barclay....
Old Jan 18, 2017, 5:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
This is why MSing is dyeing the banks have caught on and don't want to play. Churring cards seems to be work but not as easy as before.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:10 pm
Suspended

....ing ..... Think I'm getting the axe from Schwab. They want me to call in and beg tomorrow but I got the email that my signed letter is coming via UPS tomorrow.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by RamboAroundTheWorld
....ing ..... Think I'm getting the axe from Schwab. They want me to call in and beg tomorrow but I got the email that my signed letter is coming via UPS tomorrow.
Getting the axe for what exactly?
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:58 am

Ain't that discrimination when a bank closes credit cards for (MS) customers with excellent credit and repayment histories? I guess they prefer customers with poor credit and repayment histories so they can create another financial crisis like the one that lead to the Great Recession. Then these wise bankers can force taxpayers with excellent credit and repayment histories to subsidize their failures and gross management incompetence.

Well, majority of CC issuers don't like MSers. If one card get closed by MSing, they generally close all. They just don't want to do business with MSers regardless of other recent positive actions. The question would be if one has been blacklisted or not. If one has, how long will it take to get off of the blacklist...generally speaking....and this is nothing new....

I don't think I've heard stories about CC churners getting their account closed...churners have difficult time opening new accounts I rather hear...I don't play with Barclay much, so I haven't cared however....unlike other CC institutions, they might care...but I have heard people having 20-30 inqs still fine with Barclay....

Old Jan 19, 2017, 7:11 am

Stop in the name of the Grammer Police!

Churring is defined as:

"The sharp whirring or trilling sound made by some insects and birds, such as the grasshopper and partridge."

While Aesop's Fables suggest MSfolk are more grasshopper than ant and the bible suggests that we are like the birds of the air, our ability to MS by churring is a new one on me.

But if you really have figured a way to MS by churring cards please keep the secret to yourself as the evil bloggers will jump on it and soon kill this novel technique.

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
This is why MSing is dyeing the banks have caught on and don't want to play. Churring cards seems to be work but not as easy as before.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by AlohaDaveKennedy
Ain't that discrimination when a bank closes credit cards for (MS) customers with excellent credit and repayment histories? I guess they prefer customers with poor credit and repayment histories so they can create another financial crisis like the one that lead to the Great Recession. Then these wise bankers can force taxpayers with excellent credit and repayment histories to subsidize their failures and gross management incompetence.
With reasonable FICO, they prefer customers who don't MS. Poor credit customers get declined for high rewards cards I suppose. Mortgage frauds committed by the banks were separate issue since the loan was derivatized and backed by the investors. I don't think CC loans are backed by investors....

Last edited by vagrants; Jan 19, 2017 at 9:42 am
Old Jan 19, 2017, 3:24 pm

Thanks much. Any explanation from the bank? I'm stunned since it seems like they're really hurting for customers in the US and wouldn't want to lose us. However, I guess they're funding Arrival+ themselves and want to cut their losses. Just wish they'd simply closed that card and not everything. Appreciate that you didn't use WMBP, which shows that they were looking more deeply at transaction history.
I got my three letters today and they all say the same thing:

"We have recently conducted a review of our accounts. Following this review, we regret to advise you that we are no longer able to provide you with a credit card account because of your usage history. Your account has been closed in accordance with the terms and conditions of the Cardmember Agreement that governs your account. A consumer credit-reporting agency was not used in making this determination."

So maybe they conducted the review since I asked them to waive the AF on one account and then they didn't like the MS (usage).

I immediately (when I discovered they closed my accounts) redeemed all my Arrival+ points for a statement credit (at a not that great $0.01 value) and they wiped the remaining (the ones I got back at the 5% redemption rate) amount the next day.

Any suggestions about trying to CFPB for anything or should I just be thankful I got something?

Last edited by stuntgoats; Jan 19, 2017 at 3:30 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.