Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 1:20 pm

Has anyone tried SMGCs for the AU bonuses Amex gave out last month? I just spent $3k at SM for 6 cards and I'm wondering if I now need to find an alternative method.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
Welcome to FT, pacoman757. I'm glad to see you're reading the thread so closely. I saw that DP also.

Short answer: Yes, Macerich. Confirmed via chat that is was not "qualified spend" when the purchase was not included in the total qualified spend amount provided by the CSR.
The previous GC spend was on a now closed statement, posted at 1x, and the charge was paid in full. No bonus points were shown as pending.

I suggest if you have Simon Mall spending, you give yourself enough leeway to make the spend organically with time to spare. Perhaps the RAT team is reviewing these manually, or the algorithms are being tuned to grab these purchases as "non-qualifying." Since we've learned of the RAT team, we must assume they are doing their job.

I don't want to drift off topic any further, so I will continue any response in the Amex forum.
Thanks for the DP! I think in the coming weeks we'll be seeing more DPs as people find alternative ways than Simon to meet spend. I have a Macerich next to me too so I was going to try that next, but your DP and another I've read seems to be showing that it's for sure Simon and probably also Macerich not counting.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 9:31 am

For those whose bonus points aren't posting, have all of your purchases been for increments of $503.95? $1007.90, $1,511.85, etc?
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:01 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rjs11
For those whose bonus points aren't posting, have all of your purchases been for increments of $503.95? $1007.90, $1,511.85, etc?
This is a good point. I'm going to attempt to purchase $3K worth today for the Surpass card in different load amounts. Will let you know how it goes.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Roque Corona
This is a good point. I'm going to attempt to purchase $3K worth today for the Surpass card in different load amounts. Will let you know how it goes.
"I'd like to split payment, $2965.34 on this card please"
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Roque Corona
Based on my conversation via AmEx chat the reason it was flagged was due to the way the transaction was coded - that leads me to believe that the amount doesn't matter as much as what the transaction is listed as
Old Sep 19, 2017, 12:52 pm

Originally Posted by DatBigDog
Based on my conversation via AmEx chat the reason it was flagged was due to the way the transaction was coded - that leads me to believe that the amount doesn't matter as much as what the transaction is listed as
how does it code for you? my simons mall codes as specialty store.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by rjs11
I did split random amounts on 2 separate occasions and it did not work.
Old Sep 19, 2017, 4:46 pm

Originally Posted by BuBu4
how does it code for you? my simons mall codes as specialty store.
It codes as 'Other - Miscellaneous' and is described as 'Specialty Retail'
Old Sep 19, 2017, 5:28 pm

I've seen one who did split tender with random amounts and still didn't work for her to get the bonus. We're now thinking it must be the merchant (Simon) as the culprit so that all purchases made coming from there is automatically marked suspicious for MS(?). This is purely conjecture on my part.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mamibear
I've seen one who did split tender with random amounts and still didn't work for her to get the bonus. We're now thinking it must be the merchant (Simon) as the culprit so that all purchases made coming from there is automatically marked suspicious for MS(?). This is purely conjecture on my part.
Is it just for the bonuses (sign up, adding AU, extra spend, etc)?

How about regular earning?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:11 pm

If an issuing bank can't make money off of their customer MSing Simon GCs they're doing it wrong.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by an mec
If an issuing bank can't make money off of their customer MSing Simon GCs they're doing it wrong.
If you were the issuing bank, wouldn't you want to disqualify GC purchases from earning lucrative sign up offers? It's not cheap giving away 50k-100k points to a gamer who plans to close his/her card shortly after receiving the bonus. Perhaps you should think from the other side.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 8:47 pm

Originally Posted by Ultraboost
If you were the issuing bank, wouldn't you want to disqualify GC purchases from earning lucrative sign up offers? It's not cheap giving away 50k-100k points to a gamer who plans to close his/her card shortly after receiving the bonus. Perhaps you should think from the other side.
Easily fixable by delaying the payout or spreading them out.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by yoyo
Easily fixable by delaying the payout or spreading them out.
That's exactly what Amex is doing if you read the new terms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.