Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 2, 2017, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Travelz
This is a new thread for 2017. The previous discussion can be found here.

READ the posts in this thread before asking questions. Many have already been answered.

10k per day limit including fees - must fill out a form (use cards as a budget tool or whatever you want to put)
Check the Simon website for locations.
VGC issued by meta for 3.95 - Count your cards before you leave the mall
When ordering online, Simon uses GCM.
Print Wikipost

Simon Mall Gift Cards(2017-2018)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: 2% Cash Back by Citi | Chase Business Ink Cash| Amex Everyday Preferred| Chase Freedom| Discover It
Originally Posted by littlewinglet
They're clueless, or shady. I was saying that's not general policy of Simon malls. I've gone to 4 in my area and none care which type of CC I use, as long as I fill out the form and show ID.
Is there something I can do about it? They let me use other cards just not that one....But I feel if I do other cards they might denied those afterwards just like they did with this one
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by IslandOfEnchantment
Is there something I can do about it? They let me use other cards just not that one....But I feel if I do other cards they might denied those afterwards just like they did with this one
What exactly is their reason for denying it? Keep in mind they do have a policy that if your card is declined on the first attempt, they will not let you call and clear the block and then use it again that same day. You'll have to use another card. That's only weird policy I'm familiar with, but I use Arrival+ constantly and it's a MC with no issues.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: 2% Cash Back by Citi | Chase Business Ink Cash| Amex Everyday Preferred| Chase Freedom| Discover It
What exactly is their reason for denying it? Keep in mind they do have a policy that if your card is declined on the first attempt, they will not let you call and clear the block and then use it again that same day. You'll have to use another card. That's only weird policy I'm familiar with, but I use Arrival+ constantly and it's a MC with no issues.
They just usually tell me " Well sir just be aware that is a citibank card and we are having problems" then she picks up the phone makes the authorization call and she says is denied. She says I need to use another card...The first lady last week told me its probably an issue with their system this week this lady says I need to be a gamer " I ask what that is" she said is hard to explain but I cant take the card, then she change her story saying its a citi bank card and they are not taking it due to fraudulent issues and because I dont know you....Then i told her well, what if the other lady that help me last time helped me she knows me and she went and change her story to Im sorry sir is just all citi banks we are not taking...

But keep in mind these are different people I speak, but is usually when they make that authorization call and they denied my card...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:37 pm

I had issues with a Mall not letting me use any MasterCard like two months ago. They said they couldn't get authorization for MasterCard cards due to "fraud" issues. I just go to different mall now.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 12:38 pm

she picks up the phone makes the authorization call and she says is denied.
Does your SM always make an authorization call? Do all the reps do it? It could be the call that screwing you up. Mine SM never makes a call and will also let me complete a transaction after a denial, so this is definitely a YMMV situation.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 1:47 pm

They just usually tell me " Well sir just be aware that is a citibank card and we are having problems" then she picks up the phone makes the authorization call and she says is denied. She says I need to use another card...The first lady last week told me its probably an issue with their system this week this lady says I need to be a gamer " I ask what that is" she said is hard to explain but I cant take the card, then she change her story saying its a citi bank card and they are not taking it due to fraudulent issues and because I dont know you....Then i told her well, what if the other lady that help me last time helped me she knows me and she went and change her story to Im sorry sir is just all citi banks we are not taking...

But keep in mind these are different people I speak, but is usually when they make that authorization call and they denied my card...

Find another mall, they sound like a combination of sketchy and stupid.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:05 pm

tell me about it; had my share of frustration & annoyance last week; would have helped if some (clerk & manager) at some SMs can reasonably think on their feet or get more training
Old Feb 24, 2017, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Does your SM always make an authorization call? Do all the reps do it? It could be the call that screwing you up. Mine SM never makes a call and will also let me complete a transaction after a denial, so this is definitely a YMMV situation.
My SM also never makes a call. I usually call to let the CC issuer know that a large purchase is happening, never had a transaction denial.

Citi 2% works fine.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by danhouston
guess that i was upset at an unfriendly service there, where felt that my reasonable request to use a different card should have been accepted if the clerk & the manager didn't want to wait 1-2 min for my call to the failed card issuer to clear up (found out later that the charge exceeded available credit); clerk is new & the manager whom i never met before... felt that my time & drive there were wasted & that i had to go to another location to get it done. It's not the 1st time that a CC trans failed, but haven't seen or heard a business turned away customer after 1 attempt. Oh well, it happened to me
To prevent this you should have known how much available credit is remaining on your card. You neglected to check this before setting out to do your MS...

In this case you need to keep better records of your charges and payments.

While we do not know the code(s) on the denial, the cashier on the other end may very well see the reason WHY the transaction is declined - unauthorized or insufficient fund or whatever. Then they know even if you call, unless the bank extends you Additional Available Credit on the call, your card aint going to work!
Old Feb 24, 2017, 4:10 pm

Yes, its bad because thats the only mall I have near me and is an hour away.

Originally Posted by FrankMS
Yes every time I went the authorization call was made. I wish I could do something about it or talk to somebody....

Originally Posted by danhouston
tell me about it; had my share of frustration & annoyance last week; would have helped if some (clerk & manager) at some SMs can reasonably think on their feet or get more training
Honestly, I was so bad a burning up not because it didn't work I just hate being lied too....

Originally Posted by gw14
My SM also never makes a call. I usually call to let the CC issuer know that a large purchase is happening, never had a transaction denial.

Well my cards never denieds on the payment, but I never go far to the payment because as soon as they make authorization call they say is denied.

Citi 2% works fine.
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:20 pm

They're clueless, or shady. I was saying that's not general policy of Simon malls. I've gone to 4 in my area and none care which type of CC I use, as long as I fill out the form and show ID.
So there's nothing I can do? I wish I could confront them but not sure how...
Old Feb 24, 2017, 9:23 pm

So they just deny any attempt to use Mastercard? You could call Simon corporate and try to complain but not sure if that'll help, maybe individual malls are allowed freedom to make such decisions. Try to find a Macerich mall instead.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 5:17 pm

USe a non MC and build your relationship. No need to mope here. MCs are take there. Rent a wheel chair and watch the $5 charge go through..
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:04 pm

McCain Mall in NLR

Am I to assume the McCain mall in North Little Rock sells gift cards? Newb question, but is there a specific type of gift card I should buy? Ok tobuse biz spg? I've done the staples vgc for years, but don't live anywhere near a Simon mall but will be traveling near one I believe.
Old Mar 3, 2017, 6:22 pm

Originally Posted by chevy454
Am I to assume the McCain mall in North Little Rock sells gift cards? Newb question, but is there a specific type of gift card I should buy? Ok tobuse biz spg? I've done the staples vgc for years, but don't live anywhere near a Simon mall but will be traveling near one I believe.
Check the Simon website for locations. Use SPG or 2% cash back cards.

Standard Vgc issued by metabank
5Back Vgc are available. See 5B thread for details: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...rd-2017-a.html

When ordering online, Simon uses GCM, so if you also order from GCM you may be blocked from ordering from Simon.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.