Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

eBay not accepting eBay GC for 3rd party GC?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Has anybody else tried purchasing a 3rd party GC on eBay with an eBay GC? I tried purchasing 3x BP cards from SVM and when I put in my eBay GC code I get "This code can't be applied to some of your items."

Looking at the eBay giftcard FAQ it says this (emphasis mine):
An eBay gift card may not be used to purchase eBay gift cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots). If you have any of these items in your cart when you're checking out, a gift card cannot be applied.
I know they stopped letting you roll eBay GC into eBay GC back in April but is this new? Is it just a glitch for me? If so it breaks GC arbitrage for me from all sellers but Paypal Digital Gifts.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by cataphoresis
Has anybody else tried purchasing a 3rd party GC on eBay with an eBay GC? I tried purchasing 3x BP cards from SVM and when I put in my eBay GC code I get "This code can't be applied to some of your items."

Looking at the eBay giftcard FAQ it says this (emphasis mine):
An eBay gift card may not be used to purchase eBay gift cards, third party gift cards, gift certificates, coupons, coins, paper money, virtual currency or items generally considered to be "bullion" (for example, gold, silver, and other precious metals in the form of coins, bars, or ingots). If you have any of these items in your cart when you're checking out, a gift card cannot be applied.
I know they stopped letting you roll eBay GC into eBay GC back in April but is this new? Is it just a glitch for me? If so it breaks GC arbitrage for me from all sellers but Paypal Digital Gifts.
Hmm, did you hit the 2k/60 day limit?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Per my records just shy of 1100 in the last 2 months. That shouldn't trigger it, should it?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:17 pm

When did you try this?
I bought staples gc from their paypal digital store yesterday with eBay gc without issue.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:51 pm

Yup, just tried it and same error. Damnit! This was a regular buy for me..
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:02 pm

oh ...., i cant buy it either now
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:20 pm

Attached is a Cached version of their FAQ dated 8/13/16.
Can only attached jpg due to pdf size restrictions.

They sneaked this in without any notice!
Attached Images  
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:39 pm

Well this is really not good. I had about 3500 in eBay cards a couple of weeks ago, luckily we got the 10%, 8%, and 6% in the last few weeks and I was able to dump almost all of them.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:46 pm

Okay guys, I checked the T&C as well, since the FAQ can be incomplete. Yeah... as of Aug 13 there was no mention of third party gift cards not being able to be purchased with an eBay gift card. Now, there is though. We're screwed I guess...

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...onditions.html

versus...

http://pages.ebay.com/giftcard/terms_conditions.html
Old Aug 22, 2016, 9:57 pm

Programs: AGR, UA, AA
Although generally most hate the concept of class action lawsuits this is a classic case where you are fundamentally changing the terms of the game without any notice. As it stands you could cash out for 87% fairly easily by selling a fake product, if you really needed the money (10% eBay tax + 2.9% Paypal tax) but this is still very annoying.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by calwatch
Although generally most hate the concept of class action lawsuits this is a classic case where you are fundamentally changing the terms of the game without any notice.
This change is substantial enough to be definitely illegal, not just annoying.
Gift cards are essentially contracts that obligate both eBay and buyers to the T&C at the time of sale. If eBay wants to back out of their terms, the buyer should be able to undo the sale.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:07 am

I purchased $250 in CVS giftcards fron SVM yesterday. I used $200 in Ebay gift cards. Don't know if paying rest of balance with Paypal made a difference. Where you logged into Paypal when you tried redeeming?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by Frozentoes
I purchased $250 in CVS giftcards fron SVM yesterday. I used $200 in Ebay gift cards. Don't know if paying rest of balance with Paypal made a difference. Where you logged into Paypal when you tried redeeming?
I just tried to buy a discounted BP gift card and a discounted CVS gift card with a $43.70 of eBay gift card credit. It would not allow me to apply the gift card to the order at the check out page.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by MaxVO
This change is substantial enough to be definitely illegal, not just annoying.
Gift cards are essentially contracts that obligate both eBay and buyers to the T&C at the time of sale. If eBay wants to back out of their terms, the buyer should be able to undo the sale.
I doubt if it's legal for them to apply the new terms retrospectively to ebay gift cards sold before. I purchased my ebay gift cards directly from ebay. I would file a credit card dispute if ebay doesn't let me undo the sale.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:30 am

The past 12 months collectively have been absolutely brutal for MS.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.