Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How quick to pull the trigger on a CFPB?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

How quick to pull the trigger on a CFPB?

Alas, getting the runaround from a bank. Likely due to deposits and withdrawals. Directing me to one particular person that is not responding to all of the left voice mails. How long should I wait until I just go ahead and file a CFPB to get them to do something?
Old Jul 13, 2016, 1:08 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Probably best to handle any type of dispute related business in writing. Leaving voicemail is not going to cut it (as you have seen).

First via e-mail, and then escalate to registered mail. Signature proof that they have your correspondence. It makes it very difficult for them to then ignore you.

Voicemails are surprisingly easy to ignore and simply claim they were never received; and you have no proof to the contrary.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:38 pm

details? i don't know how anyone could give you much advice on this with the little info you gave. Also, you're posting in manufactured spend, so...?

if it has to do with citigold, just do it. if it's something else, probably still just do it. or at least see if there are other similar complaints on the cfpb site. But still, what's the issue??
Old Jul 13, 2016, 7:05 pm

I'll usually make a good faith attempt to contact the entity and resolve the issue. If they ignore 2-3 calls/voicemails or 1-2 letters I go nuclear. That includes CFPB, FDIC, OCC, Federal Reserve, our attorney, state attorney general, state division of finance, etc.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 12:02 am

What runaround ?

comprised of
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:10 pm

Get them to state a timetable. Then there are two situations to involve the regulators.

1. Right away, if the timetable is unreasonable, or

2. If/when they fail the timetable.

If you can't even get them to communicate, yes, contact the regulators because CFPB etc will force the communication.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:12 am

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
I'll usually make a good faith attempt to contact the entity and resolve the issue. If they ignore 2-3 calls/voicemails or 1-2 letters I go nuclear. That includes CFPB, FDIC, OCC, Federal Reserve, our attorney, state attorney general, state division of finance, etc.
small claims?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by prasha11
small claims?
If all those fail, yes. Right now I am dealing with a bank who ignored my good faith contacts, ADMITTED to breaking the law (in writing) after the governmental entities got involved, promised to refund me just under 10k (not counting damages), and then stopped communicating. Legal counsel sent a letter (cost me $175 that the bank now owes me) and they are still playing dead.

Gonna file in County Civil since its too high for small claims. I actually prefer County Civil and Circuit Court because the traditional rules of evidence apply and I can properly conduct discovery, etc. Sure, it's very tricky if you've never gone through the process but if you've sued/been sued a handful of times and do a bit of reading about the civil rules of procedure you'll be fine.

This case should be a slam dunk for the money they are holding hostage and actual damages. The only place where there is some room for discretion is in the punitive damages I'm going to ask for. I'm being very reasonable in asking for what is considered the minimum of $1,000 in punitive and not treble damages or any such nonsense.

I will say try to avoid court if you can especially if you've never gone through the process. You don't want to look like an unprepared, borderline vexatious litigant.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 3:36 pm

Can CFPB assist in getting online access unblocked?

I deposited some MOs via mobile app back in Feb. 53 closed the account and have blocked online access even for credit cards.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
If all those fail, yes. Right now I am dealing with a bank who ignored my good faith contacts, ADMITTED to breaking the law (in writing) after the governmental entities got involved, promised to refund me just under 10k (not counting damages), and then stopped communicating. Legal counsel sent a letter (cost me $175 that the bank now owes me) and they are still playing dead.

Gonna file in County Civil since its too high for small claims. I actually prefer County Civil and Circuit Court because the traditional rules of evidence apply and I can properly conduct discovery, etc. Sure, it's very tricky if you've never gone through the process but if you've sued/been sued a handful of times and do a bit of reading about the civil rules of procedure you'll be fine.

This case should be a slam dunk for the money they are holding hostage and actual damages. The only place where there is some room for discretion is in the punitive damages I'm going to ask for. I'm being very reasonable in asking for what is considered the minimum of $1,000 in punitive and not treble damages or any such nonsense.

I will say try to avoid court if you can especially if you've never gone through the process. You don't want to look like an unprepared, borderline vexatious litigant.
3 weeks now complaint.

recovered about 50%

in CA the small claims limit is 10K

can I add cost and damages/punitive?

primary motivation is to move my file from CS to legal dept to discuss.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by lumangoy
Can CFPB assist in getting online access unblocked?

I deposited some MOs via mobile app back in Feb. 53 closed the account and have blocked online access even for credit cards.
I heard from Fifth Third after I filed the CFPB complain and they have unlocked my account!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Just a quick update... I thought this was resolved. Was expecting a check in the mail. Did not receive that yet. Now I received a letter from the bank saying that they will be closing the account and "may" report the reason for closing to credit reporting agency which may affect ability to open accounts in the future. Obviously going to call them, but not sure what the best strategy is moving forward.

In case anyone was wondering all deposits were used to pay off credit card so its entirely legitimate and am even irked that a bank won't support this. I'd prefer not start filling a bunch of complaints (CFPB, BBB, etc.) until I'm sure of what is/has happened. Don't want to ruffle any feathers if all that's going to happen is a shutdown.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:38 am

Dunno why you won't state what the issue is. You want the account to NOT be closed? And at the same time are waiting for a check? Walk us thru this please.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 10:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zceuxbhjutf
Dunno why you won't state what the issue is. You want the account to NOT be closed? And at the same time are waiting for a check? Walk us thru this please.
Really don't care if the account is closed. That is going to happen. What I do care about is getting the money in a timely fashion and no Chex remarks. Already starting to think gameplan if for some reason they do put negative remark. Thinking some combination of complaints and lawsuit in small claims court. Honestly if they just do the right thing I would not have any sort of response.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 11:47 am

I recommend you file a dispute with FDIC. You'll explain via their dispute form what happened. Just write down the sequence of events in date order.

You'll get your check quicker. And they can't retaliate against people who file a dispute. On the contrary they'll have to answer to them (and you'll get a copy of their answer).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.