Wiki Posts
Search

MS with Bitcoin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:20 am
Original Poster

MS with Bitcoin

Hey everyone,

I'm fairly new to MS, but got the general hang of it. I stumbled upon something interesting recently in relation to Bitcoin. There's a certain website I know (don't want to give away the name) where a new withdrawal option was put in place. Previously You can deposit up to $2500 daily with a credit card into an account on the website, but if I were to withdraw the funds either by check or wire transfer there would be a 3 percent fee of the total amount withdrawn.

Quite recently there was a new withdrawal option added in Bitcoin. The Bitcoin option takes no fees whatsoever and gives you the full amount of your withdrawal in bitcoin based on the current exchange rate. Now I'm guessing if all I did was make a ton of deposits and withdrawals without using their services they would prevent me from doing so. I'm thinking of giving it a go and doing a bit of research. I would assume I would have to create an id and password somewhere to get the Bitcoin deposited into an account. I guess the question I'm really asking is have any of you had experience with Bitcoin, and is it easy to convert it back to cash once you receive it. I don't think the credit card companies take payments in bitcoin. Thanks!
Old Jul 13, 2016, 5:51 am

Don't, just don't.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 6:36 am

I know one who regretted doing this because he said it's PIA to turn bitcoins to cash and pay your CC. If he's reading this, he may give the details if he wants to.

I'm not saying it's impossible but this is only for those with huge float to pay their CCs so they don't get into CC debt.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, didn't realize it was a difficult process . I'll just read up about bitcoin a bit for fun, but yea don't want it to be a hassle or do anything risky that can put me in debt.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
It's not that hard to turn your coins into cash. With that being said, I'd still look at other alternatives.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 7:34 am

It's absolutely not difficult to turn your bitcoins into cash at all... established bitcoin wallets like coinbase.com or circle.com will ACH deposit bitcoins as cash into your bank account in 1 day with just a few clicks.

If you can get this to work without fees, then it's a pretty viable method. The only risk would be bitcoin volatility... if price drops, you lose. If price increases, you'd make a profit.

Not true MS as you're taking a risk on the bitcoin price volatility.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 5:07 pm

coinbase & circle can be easy when they work, but they're very paranoid about fraud. They may cancel your first few transactions. And if you make a lot of transactions, they may close your account.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 12:25 am

Provided you have a standing relationship with BC wallet and would turnaround quickly enough to seriously minimize the price volatility, what other risks are inherent in the occasional sub $10k BC MS?

I'm not about to engage in this without researching it, more just hypothesizing, but curious to hear what people's objections are.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by DavidBRKLYN
Provided you have a standing relationship with BC wallet and would turnaround quickly enough to seriously minimize the price volatility, what other risks are inherent in the occasional sub $10k BC MS?

I'm not about to engage in this without researching it, more just hypothesizing, but curious to hear what people's objections are.
How can you buy BTC with no fees?
Old May 24, 2017, 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by dothemath
How can you buy BTC with no fees?

???
Old May 25, 2017, 2:39 pm

I debated using this as a method to MS, but I read a few banks charge withdrawals from Coinbase as a cash advance.
Old May 25, 2017, 4:17 pm

I called Chase today to see what it would code as if I purchased from Coinbase. After being placed on hold for a few minutes the rep said he couldn't find Coinbase in there data base.... So still no answer
Old May 26, 2017, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by nychad10
I called Chase today to see what it would code as if I purchased from Coinbase. After being placed on hold for a few minutes the rep said he couldn't find Coinbase in there data base.... So still no answer
It's not worth it. Coinbase charges 4% fee for credit cards + 1.5% fee of buying/selling. Not to mention the spread for BTC is very wide right now due to the volatlity so you'll lose even more money on slippage. This is probably one of the worst way to MS, and not to mention you risk losing money doing it.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:01 pm

Also note, IRS has put out notice that all bitcoin transactions arer considered invetsments. All transactions get reported on schedule D. This sucks for americans, because even buying a can of soda with bitcoin is a reportable transaction. Its all legal and if your buying and selling at the same price, no tax ramification (bill) other than reporting.
Old May 30, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

IBBs are a bad place to get tax advise.

Consult your CPA/JD about Bitcoin, US1040 Schedule D...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.