Wiki Posts
Search

Offset method

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2016, 8:11 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Smile Offset method

Not pretending this is some new revelation or anything, but was wondering how many out there MS with the "offset method".
When I play Roulette, I make A Small Even-Money Bet to cover my potential loss, on the numbers I Play inside.

I just started this with MS. I recently was approved for United Club Card (1.5 miles per $). Long story short, basically, based on my location and travel needs, I need as many United miles as possible.

So, now, whenever I go to WM, I buy 8 VGC's. I buy 4 with United Club, then I buy 4 with Spark (ergo, the offset). So, I earn $5 on Each VGC purchased with Spark ($20), to offset The $20 I spend on my 4 VGC's bought on United Club.
Sooooooo, on 4, $500 VGC's purchased with United Club, I earn 3000 miles (basically free because cost was offset with Spark purchases). If I do this 3 Times per Week, Thats 9k miles Weekly, approx 450k miles Annually, pretty much free. Even when I discontinue United Club (after First Free Year), even if I do the same with United Explorer (1 mile per $), Thats 2k miles Daily, 6k Weekly, and potentially 300k miles, basically, at net zero cost.

I have MS'd on United before. I have MS'd on Spark. But never together like this. It seems like virtually limitless free miles because of this "offset" (Im sure you're tired of that word now, LOL).
And this estimate of mine is based on 1 store, 3 Times Weekly (because thats about what I do now). If I were to do this more often, I dont see why I (or anyone else) would ever not be able to fly at will, first class, anywhere I want, for virtually free. I will scale this Big Time.

Im sure many others do this, just curious as to methods, math, particulars.....
Have A Great Memorial Day, friends!

Last edited by Ram Trucks; May 30, 2016 at 8:21 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold
What is spark? The capital one card?
Old May 30, 2016, 8:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Arrow

Originally Posted by GKC1987
What is spark? The capital one card?
Yes sir. A Clean, Simple 2% CB on all purchases. Thus, on Each $500 VGC, earn About $5 Profit ($10 CB - $5 VGC Fee). Previously, I had been just buying 8, VGC's with Spark, and earning $40 per trip, Profit. Now, I thought, why not use Spark to offset Fees for buying VGC's that earn miles. At this point, what I want is United miles, for myself and my wife to visit family out east, as often as I want, and now it seems like they can basically be obtained, at will, scott free. Could potentially never have to buy a ticket again.
This combined with churn Bonuses.

Last edited by Ram Trucks; May 30, 2016 at 8:52 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 8:55 pm

and how are you going to unload the 8 VGC without any additional cost?
Old May 30, 2016, 9:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by ranjanrocks
and how are you going to unload the 8 VGC without any additional cost?
LOL, I buy 4 MO's (Cost=$2.80). I Said "virtually free", not free, LOL.@:-) I get 3k miles for less than $3 Bucks, net.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:14 pm

You have to consider your time buying and liquidating said gcs. @ 1% profit, its better to get a part time job.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Old May 30, 2016, 9:22 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by The Great Mango
You have to consider your time buying and liquidating said gcs. @ 1% profit, its better to get a part time job.

I have A Full-Time job LOL. Im in the area where a WM is located 3 Times Weekly. I can do this in 15 Minutes. And If Im earning 3k miles per Day, at virtually no cost, Im earning waaaaaaaay more than 1% Profit. My profit Margin is pretty close to infinite. I was quite good at calculus, however, this was Many Years Ago, so my memory might fail me a bit, LOL ! But I DO Know that earning virtually free miles is EXTREMELY Profitable. The whole name of the game is (wait for it)....OFFSET.

Last edited by Ram Trucks; May 30, 2016 at 9:28 pm
Old May 30, 2016, 9:46 pm

I'd use the Citi Double Cash card in place of the Spark card if you have it. Citi bank doesn't seem to look for MSing nearly as diligently as Capital One from my experience. My Spark card was getting frozen for "suspected fraud activity" way too often even with light MS activity last year. I've hit my Double Cash card very heavy the last 8-10 months and never heard a peep from Citibank.
Old May 30, 2016, 9:47 pm

I did this with 2% cards and airline/hotel cards so I could increase my float for WF and cycle faster.

1% profit is fine, what's more important is your hourly returns. If you can indeed make those nearly free 3k miles in 15 minutes, then I'd agree that it's probably worth your time. For other people, it could take them upwards of 2-3 hours - probably not worth their time.

For me, as apparently for you, such activities have generally been worth my time.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:21 pm

Programs: All of them
I do this with Simon mall and save $1 on the fees, especially with Arrival+ which pays out 2.22% (or soon 2.11%), buying 9.5k in under 30min of extra time is a lot easier then getting them at WM. Save the WM VGCs for folks like myself who still have WF 5% promo going
Old May 30, 2016, 10:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I'd use the Citi Double Cash card in place of the Spark card if you have it. Citi bank doesn't seem to look for MSing nearly as diligently as Capital One from my experience. My Spark card was getting frozen for "suspected fraud activity" way too often even with light MS activity last year. I've hit my Double Cash card very heavy the last 8-10 months and never heard a peep from Citibank.
Thanks, will apply for Citi 2X Cash!^
Old May 30, 2016, 10:32 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Talking

Originally Posted by CWAL
I did this with 2% cards and airline/hotel cards so I could increase my float for WF and cycle faster.

1% profit is fine, what's more important is your hourly returns. If you can indeed make those nearly free 3k miles in 15 minutes, then I'd agree that it's probably worth your time. For other people, it could take them upwards of 2-3 hours - probably not worth their time.

For me, as apparently for you, such activities have generally been worth my time.
Thanks buddy! Yes, buying 8 VGC's in WM, then buying 4 MO's doesnt often take over 15 Minutes, unless theres a line, then maybe it takes 20 Minutes.
Old May 30, 2016, 10:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Unhappy

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I do this with Simon mall and save $1 on the fees, especially with Arrival+ which pays out 2.22% (or soon 2.11%), buying 9.5k in under 30min of extra time is a lot easier then getting them at WM. Save the WM VGCs for folks like myself who still have WF 5% promo going
I agree 100%, sadly no Simon malls in my state, and with Shipping Costs, probably just easier to keep buying at WM.^

Last edited by Ram Trucks; May 30, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Old May 31, 2016, 6:43 am

your method sounds like a good plan. but you forgot to include the 300 miles RT you posted a while back (travel time+gas) to reach your WM. You might consider doing more transactions while you're in the area with WMs. That amounts to out of state travels for most, but if you enjoy it and it works well for you, go for it!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.