Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 3, 2017, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
Posts for 2018 on this topic are here: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1885680-mgc-sam-s-club-2018-a.html

Always test one gc before buying too many that you cannot liquidate.

As of 6/2017:

HB Vanilla mc & visa issued by Bancorp - liquidate at PO or some grocery stores, not WM. The Bancorp gcs are easier to liquidate.

Vanilla mc issued by MetaBank - might be able to liquidate at Kmart BP, Paypal, not WM or PO.
Print Wikipost

MGC at Sam's Club(2016-2017)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2016, 1:58 pm

Went back to the same Sam's. 1st Freedom no problem at the terminal buying $500. Then cashier got "locked out" (whatever it means). 2nd Freedom, transaction cancelled error at the terminal. ReInserted 2nd time no problem although the cashier said cash only, but I had the 1st purchase with the Freedom in my hand, so he let me try again.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:03 pm

wanted to pay for 2 together, but cashier insisted that only 1 of $500 could be rung up at a time... anyone was able to pay for more than 1 together?
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: All of them to one degree or another
Issues with the MGC?

Anyone run into any issues liquidating? I bought three this week to max out one of our Freedom cards. 2/3 had no problems and I purchased MOs at two separate grocery chains. The third would not work at either location, a third grocery chain or the post office. I thought I had a bad strip on the card or PIN but that wasn't the case as I was able to use it as a debit (with PIN) for a small legitimate purchase at target.

Each store had a different error. Invalid transaction, transaction not authorized, not allowed, etc.

Really odd.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:24 am

Can these cards be used to buy MO at WM ? How are you guys liquidating them ?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:31 am

Originally Posted by rocco24
They are vanilla, so no.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by hamokmonky
They are vanilla, so no.
not even serve load ?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
not even serve load ?
As they say, fahgettaboudit.

On a different note, my local Sam's has lots of MCGCs on the rack. I've already maxed out my $1500 Freedom bonus spending for this quarter. I'm trying to come up with other bonus spend strategies that would make sense.

I've got a special offer on my SPG card:
Earn 5,000 Starpoints after you spend $5,000 in qualifying purchases* using your Card.Plus, earn an additional 5,000 Starpoints (for a total of 10,000 bonus Starpoints) after you spend an additional $5,000 (for a total of $10,000) in qualifying purchases on your Card.
The T&Cs for this offer say:
Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents

Will MCGCs from Sam's count for that SPG bonus, or do the T&Cs exclude them? I'd be pretty unhappy if I expend a lot of energy buying MCGCs and then I don't get the bonus.

Any other thoughts on bonus-ing MCGC purchases at Sam's?
Old Jul 14, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
As they say, fahgettaboudit.

On a different note, my local Sam's has lots of MCGCs on the rack. I've already maxed out my $1500 Freedom bonus spending for this quarter. I'm trying to come up with other bonus spend strategies that would make sense.

I've got a special offer on my SPG card:
Earn 5,000 Starpoints after you spend $5,000 in qualifying purchases* using your Card.Plus, earn an additional 5,000 Starpoints (for a total of 10,000 bonus Starpoints) after you spend an additional $5,000 (for a total of $10,000) in qualifying purchases on your Card.
The T&Cs for this offer say:
Qualifying purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents

Will MCGCs from Sam's count for that SPG bonus, or do the T&Cs exclude them? I'd be pretty unhappy if I expend a lot of energy buying MCGCs and then I don't get the bonus.

Any other thoughts on bonus-ing MCGC purchases at Sam's?
Do you mind sharing how are you liquidating. By the way I am in Socal as well
Old Jul 14, 2016, 12:07 pm

Do you mind sharing how are you liquidating. By the way I am in Socal as well
MOs at grocery store(s) that take debit
Old Jul 14, 2016, 2:18 pm
Suspended

anyone having trouble buying it at SAM's. My friend ran into issues buying them yesterday. Got the following error. "Debit not approved, vendor is down". I was able to buy it before while maxing out my freedom category limits.
Old Jul 14, 2016, 4:32 pm

not at WM but my grocery store took them for MOs w/o issues.
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:25 am

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by nadir576
anyone having trouble buying it at SAM's. My friend ran into issues buying them yesterday. Got the following error. "Debit not approved, vendor is down". I was able to buy it before while maxing out my freedom category limits.
Lets just say I used the Amex coupon to sign in to Sam's Club for free. One year free membership, not a bad idea if you have that Chase Freedom, plus my SO wanted to give it a try too, as I am not a Cosco person.

Bought one MCGC yesterday while doing some shopping with her. They sent me to the CS to check out due to only to lines open. Interestingly, the girl checking me out did not know how to run MCGCs, so she said she would do it separately. Of course, after ringing me out for the groceries, she called the manager who came and did everything for the MCGC. I inserted my SO's Chase Freedom again and it was approved without the manager even looking at the CC. She gave me the receipts and I walked out.

Now, time for Krogy or USPS to liquidate, as instructed by others here. I still have a coupon for Krogy with $0.30 discount on MO, as I usually have ZERO problems splitting transactions and working my MO with Wally. This is my first Vanilla MC ever, and I can not remember my last Vanilla Visa. But it is time to max out my SO's Freedom, as last month it was maxing it out at Krogy
Old Jul 15, 2016, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by carlitos
Lets just say I used the Amex coupon to sign in to Sam's Club for free. One year free membership, not a bad idea if you have that Chase Freedom, plus my SO wanted to give it a try too, as I am not a Cosco person.

Bought one MCGC yesterday while doing some shopping with her. They sent me to the CS to check out due to only to lines open. Interestingly, the girl checking me out did not know how to run MCGCs, so she said she would do it separately. Of course, after ringing me out for the groceries, she called the manager who came and did everything for the MCGC. I inserted my SO's Chase Freedom again and it was approved without the manager even looking at the CC. She gave me the receipts and I walked out.

Now, time for Krogy or USPS to liquidate, as instructed by others here. I still have a coupon for Krogy with $0.30 discount on MO, as I usually have ZERO problems splitting transactions and working my MO with Wally. This is my first Vanilla MC ever, and I can not remember my last Vanilla Visa. But it is time to max out my SO's Freedom, as last month it was maxing it out at Krogy
what city r u in, carlitos?
Old Jul 15, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: Some of them not all ...
Originally Posted by danhouston
what city r u in, carlitos?
Middle of nowhere Mid West (Central Ohio).
Old Jul 17, 2016, 2:08 pm

Are these definitely liquitable at Kroger?

I'm in Florida, and these MCs from Sam's cannot be used at Publix to buy MO's. Also, can verify they don't work at Walmart to buy MO.

I'll happen to be in Ohio in August and could unload a few at Kroger while I'm there.

Any other (specific) grocery stores that these work at? I'm going to try Winn Dixie later today or tomorrow. But would love to hear any add'l feedback.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.