Old Feb 14, 2016, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

Kate will only allow load totals up to $1999.99 every 10 minutes. It does not matter if it was you or the person before you. If you go over that limit, Kate will freeze. Sept 2015- Several people have reported the 10 minute limit is now longer than 10. Not sure how much longer yet. Several Kate's have locked up following the old 10 minute rule.

9 digit pin problem - Sometimes, for unknown reasons, after you swipe your card and enter your pin, MCE will ask you for a 9 digit pin. To date, no one knows why this happens, or has a fix for it. If it repeatedly asks you for a pin, this is the same as the 9 digit pin problem and there is no fix.
Unplugging and re-booting by a supervisor doesn't fix this problem.

For consistent MCE issues, use the WM feedback link to report:
https://corporate.walmart.com/contac...orate-feedback
Select 'store experience' and be sure to include the store number and address. If you include your name and phone number the stores sometimes call when it is working again. Do not abuse this as it may lead to your MCE being removed.

How to shut Kate up by sosamo
  1. Before you press anything, plug the headphones into the jack near the pinpad
  2. The touchscreen will "gray" out, and you won't be able to press anything.
  3. Press '3' on the pinpad
  4. Press 'Enter' on the pinpad
  5. Continue business as usual on the touch screen.

Note: If you ever make a mistake, to get out, just unplug the headphone.

----
Walmart Money Center Kiosk Location

Any of the walmarts on the list have a Kate
http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Look for "Walmart Money Center Express" as one of the services
http://www.walmart.com/c/store/search/MoneyCenter
------------------------------
Print Wikipost

Walmart Money Kiosks (2016 onwards)

Old Feb 6, 2016, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by ajhardee
I have been paying my bills through serve VIP for the past 3 months. Loading $5,000 a month via Kate and FD and I never got an email saying I'm shut down but, I can no longer load with GC anywhere.
have you tried loading with bank DC online? if you did and it went through, that's proof your account is in good standing. BUT if you get the dreaded message, it means game over for you.

by saying you can no longer load with VGCs anywhere, does that include WM register lanes and MC? and have you tried metaGCs that still work (I loaded TigerDirect rebate GC issued by MB yesterday so I know it's still working)? hopefully, you're able to load with VGCs again which is the main reason in maintaining am3x prepaids.
Old Feb 6, 2016, 8:24 am
Moderator: Travel Buzz

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Really... Not all... But I did change all of my BBs over to Serve VIP in Nov and Early Dec. But I have changed the way I use them. I'm running an expeirement to see if I can last.
You're right, of course, not all cards got shut down. You've got an edge having a fairly new card... early Dec would make the card just about 1 billing cycle old on January 8. I also had one new card that isn't shut down (yet). It will be interesting to see if we can figure out the shut down algorithms over the next few months.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:04 pm

Could someone give me a step by step on how to do it? Walmart is pretty far away from my home and I've to take public transport. I don't want to go that far just to be a clueless idiot. Any things I should know?

1) I've never used KATE and I don't even know how to do so.

2) I assume VGC bought from staples.com will load onto Serve for free?

3) When is Walmart usually empty so I can fool around with the machine? early in the morning will do, like 6 AM?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by runb4fun
Could someone give me a step by step on how to do it? Walmart is pretty far away from my home and I've to take public transport. I don't want to go that far just to be a clueless idiot. Any things I should know?

1) I've never used KATE and I don't even know how to do so.

2) I assume VGC bought from staples.com will load onto Serve for free?

3) When is Walmart usually empty so I can fool around with the machine? early in the morning will do, like 6 AM?
Assuming Kate is working, which depending on where you are, might be a big IF. Walk up to it. Hit Bluebird reload on the screen (there is no Serve option; Bluebird works). Follow the step by step prompts. It's pretty idiot proof. Make sure you have a real debit card in your hand in case an employee gets curious. Personally I prefer hours when WM is busy because the employees are distracted with other customers. Kates are normally located in front of either the customer service or money center desk which are very often staffed. Of course every WM is different but that's just been my experience. If you have to do multiple gift cards, do 2 and walk away and wonder the store for a while. Be aware of the velocity limit and don't exceed it otherwise Kate breaks. I never did more than $1500 per session just to be safe.

Originally Posted by David_
That is the main issue at one of my local Walmart's. The managers will leave it locked up for up to a week. Even if you ask nicely they can't be bothered to fix it.
In the couple years I've been in the game, I have only ONCE found a manager willing to fix kate. He happened to be standing around right near it, and I asked nicely, hey I'm trying to use this and it needs a login. He punched in his code and it woke up. Normally WM employees are like, it's always broken, *shrug shoulders*, walk away.

Last edited by krazykanuck; Feb 12, 2016 at 9:30 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 9:26 pm

Originally Posted by ajhardee
I have been paying my bills through serve VIP for the past 3 months. Loading $5,000 a month via Kate and FD and I never got an email saying I'm shut down but, I can no longer load with GC anywhere.
Your quandary is easy to solve... put a $20 bill into the ATM and see if it's accepted.

One Kate in my town has denied all gc loads for at least 2 months (but it took my cash). So obviously gc acceptance can be programmed into the machine's software. The other Kate in my town took gc UNTIL she went "OUT OF ORDER" more than a week ago. All moneycenter employees claim ignorance about why it's broken and when it will be fixed. Seriously, they ALL seem very puzzled about it. Nobody even knows who put the sign up. Serious case of 'I know nuthin'.

A "bank" doesn't normally close for over a week. Good thing AmEx targets the "unbanked" who I guess don't deserve reliable service.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:19 am

They just added 3 kates in my area so I would love to take advantage of it. I do have amex serve. Is there anything else I can do to take advantage of the machines? I heard gobank is a good one but that people get shut down quick.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:25 am

Originally Posted by BananaPeppers
They just added 3 kates in my area so I would love to take advantage of it. I do have amex serve. Is there anything else I can do to take advantage of the machines? I heard gobank is a good one but that people get shut down quick.
if you know the mechanics, just do it
Old Feb 13, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
you could try buying money orders. Most kates don't allow it, but some do.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 5:48 pm

They just added 3 kates in my area...
Well that certainly goes against the tide of recent reports.

Curious to know, are these new stores or just new KATES added to existing stores ? I'd love to know if these are "new" KATES, with possibly updated software as opposed to the old ones, but unfortunately I guess you're probably not familiar enough with them to tell.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Hbax
Well that certainly goes against the tide of recent reports.

Curious to know, are these new stores or just new KATES added to existing stores ? I'd love to know if these are "new" KATES, with possibly updated software as opposed to the old ones, but unfortunately I guess you're probably not familiar enough with them to tell.
Agreed. In my experience they don't seem to put KATEs into new stores. At least in Houston.
Old Feb 13, 2016, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by krazykanuck
Agreed. In my experience they don't seem to put KATEs into new stores. At least in Houston.
These Kates were broken previously and are now being fixed. In fact, one of them is right in front of the bathroom, and not in the money center area. After using serve, I just don't know what else to use KATE for. They don't have the money order option on them.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by StartinSanDiego
You're right, of course, not all cards got shut down. You've got an edge having a fairly new card... early Dec would make the card just about 1 billing cycle old on January 8. I also had one new card that isn't shut down (yet). It will be interesting to see if we can figure out the shut down algorithms over the next few months.
I wont go nuts, I figured just my bill's alone, I can generate 5K a month, and all of my bills can be paid via serve, my mortgage went through with no issue so I'm happy. If I get shut down, then it has to be the $500 VGC that I'm loading to the account. I'll also leave about 150/m on the card too, and use it for the AMEX offers.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 11:20 pm

A handful of Kate's are still working in Northern California.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 11:12 am

After using serve, I just don't know what else to use KATE for.
Since they don't do MOs, loading Serve (or BB) is about it. Consider yourself fortunate you don't have to deal with WM employees. That's worth a lot by itself.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
you could try buying money orders. Most kates don't allow it, but some do.
There are really Kates that still allow buying MOs? I thought all Kates nationwide removed that option. Even the ones that I used to see with that option on the welcome screen, when you press on it..it will say "Please see a MC associate to help with this transaction" or something like that.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.