Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Detained by the police for Manufactured Spending

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/AA

This is fun read. The blogger was manufactured spending at Walmart, detained by the police, and then interviewed by an IRS agent.

http://www.travelcodex.com/2016/02/i...ravel+Codex%29
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:24 pm

Churnman posted about it in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post26132472 but he edited his post, but was quoted in one of the replies.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:01 pm
Suspended

Had a discussion about this very same thing not even two days ago with my attorney. I was told to SHUT UP and to IMMEDIATELY call him if anything happens.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 5:42 pm

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Makes sense. I like money as much as any attorney does.

For real though, shutting up is your best bet, just be prepared for extreme verbal harassment.

For some reason most cops think if you don't talk they have to talk in your place.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 6:12 pm
formerly southsidesilver

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, HH Diamond
Yikes he is doing a lot of MSing
Old Feb 4, 2016, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by southsidesilver
Yikes he is doing a lot of MSing
Yes, he is a very brave man, and has far more chutzpah than I ever will. I was stunned by the $$ amounts he does per day.

I confess that, at the first sign of trouble, I put my tail between my legs and meekly exit the store. But it's like Arnold said: "I'll be back."
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:04 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Yes, he is a very brave man, and has far more chutzpah than I ever will. I was stunned by the $$ amounts he does per day.

I confess that, at the first sign of trouble, I put my tail between my legs and meekly exit the store. But it's like Arnold said: "I'll be back."
I've personally seen this type of heavy ms activity shut down locations for not just the unwise ms'r, trying to buy too many at one time, but shut down for everyone. This is an unwise ms'r who's gotten too comfortable with the higher than normal amounts in MOs he's buying per visit. No matter how nice some cashiers are, it just takes one overzealous employee to cause problems.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by lumangoy
Churnman posted about it in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...l#post26132472 but he edited his post, but was quoted in one of the replies.
I edited it because I didn't want to give him anymore hits (rewards) from my comment. I knew it was quoted, but at least people looking at my profile history won't continue to see the link for years to come. Just a personal choice.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 2:18 am

He gives presentations on manufactured spending?!?

No wonder the MS game is becoming so difficult.

Last edited by tcook052; Feb 6, 2016 at 8:10 pm Reason: snark
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:44 am

Meh. This story still sounds like BS to me. If you are doing that much volume then yes, it's a full-time job to purchase GC, MO, make deposits, pay bills, and keep track of everything or you risk losing track of a lot of money and there goes your profit. Doesn't pass the smell test to me.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 7:17 am

Originally Posted by ZzzzX
Meh. This story still sounds like BS to me.
I was thinking about the same. In this day and age people play all sorts of tricks. $20,000 worth of gift cards in a day or in a few days, that's a lot of gift cards. I don't believe any walmart would carry that much i.e if the options are limited to only certain types in order to be able to get MO.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:01 am

Can we stop talking about this? The more visibility he gets, the more it will stir his motivation to spoil the game for all of us...

SLOW AND STEADY GUYS
Old Feb 5, 2016, 10:11 am

Programs: United Silver, PC Plat/Amb, HH Dmnd
Oh, man, so much craziness. This guy is like the open carry activist of manufactured spending. I'll shout from the rooftops that MSing is completely legal, but going to Wally World (of all places) to MS $15-20K is just asking for trouble. Never invite The Man into your life.

AndyAndy

P.S.: Also, this: "When buying large amounts of money orders, I always clarify my intent to do so and ask for the Money Order Transaction Form."
I'm all for openness and honesty, but I can't say I endorse that strategy. The primary reason being that the recordkeeping requirement does not apply to non-currency transactions. The secondary reason being that nothing good can come of Walmart having a binder with your identifying info in it.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 11:41 am
jk2

This is just plain stupid. Why on earth that blogger wanted to buy $6K of MOs per visit and then his friend wanted to buy the same amount? Such people kill everything. I was told my cashier at WM (I've been purchasing from her for 3 years) that now management watches them and ask me to buy no more than $2k in MOs and 3x$500 in GC per one visit, just not to bring attention. This is what I'm doing now.

That guy was just outright stupid. Next time let's all encourage him to buy $100K in one visit and we all come and watch a show (together with police).
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:03 pm

I am trying to figure out where he is from based on his name Bengali Miles Guru @tahsirahsan. Feel fortunate this crazy man is far away from the area I m living.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.