Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500 spend in a reward year, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchases (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 23 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:08 pm

Hot diggitty, closed on the 27th, and posted a few ours ago. 19 days close to post, a new personal record!
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by Markemark
...closed on the 27th, and posted a few ours ago...
Edited to add: Mine closed 1/27 as well, the rewards weren't available when I called to expedite their posting at 2pm Eastern 2/15 but they were finally available when I called back at 9am 2/16.

Last edited by yanxfann; Feb 16, 2016 at 7:32 am
Old Feb 15, 2016, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA
Update: Just posted

Originally Posted by beyond986
19 days, still not posted
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM-1MM HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yanxfann
Congrats. Mine also closed on the 27th BUT the rewards have still not posted.
Closed on 27th, mine posted this afternoon.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:30 pm

Amex must be hurting. Not only are the rewards posting ridiculously late but NONE of the Amex Offers I completed have credited. Not a single one. And I've lost track of how many travel/hotel/rental-car offers I completed. They used to credit almost instantly. Never thought it would come to this but if they don't credit by the end of March I'm going to have to start submitting complaints.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 4:09 pm
Original Poster

phew! Same as you guys, statement date 27th, and they finally posted this afternoon.

What's the over/under on a full month for March?
Old Feb 15, 2016, 5:11 pm

deleted

Last edited by nfpa70e; Feb 15, 2016 at 6:00 pm
Old Feb 18, 2016, 8:17 pm

Statement closed on 3/7 and rewards posted today sorta, so just 11 days. However, I only received ~$50 instead of the ~$350 that I should have. Anyone seen a delayed posting of some rewards? I do not really want to call about this.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
Statement closed on 3/7 and rewards posted today sorta, so just 11 days. However, I only received ~$50 instead of the ~$350 that I should have. Anyone seen a delayed posting of some rewards? I do not really want to call about this.
My statement closed 2/6and quoted $294 in rewards earned (from the January statement). Just had $47.02 post to my account. That amount doesn't jive with anything as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if it's an adjustment of some sort though. My wife has the card as well and she had .03 added to her account last night too. Her January statement points were already pushed through.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Data Point

Originally Posted by AnInfrequentFlyer
My statement closed 2/6and quoted $294 in rewards earned (from the January statement). Just had $47.02 post to my account. That amount doesn't jive with anything as far as I can tell.

I'm wondering if it's an adjustment of some sort though. My wife has the card as well and she had .03 added to her account last night too. Her January statement points were already pushed through.
I just had a similar occurrence. My due date was 1/27 and statement closed 2/2. My rewards still haven't posted but my balance went up $1.08 last night...not nearly accurate.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by cmlsu
I just had a similar occurrence. My due date was 1/27 and statement closed 2/2. My rewards still haven't posted but my balance went up $1.08 last night...not nearly accurate.
Me too. I was expecting $150.00+ in rewards. Got 3 bucks instead. I don't think they're paying out 5% on our Pharmacy and Grocery store purchases anymore. Dagger.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:55 am

My statement period ended 1/27 and I got the full amount of $320 a couple days ago.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
My statement period ended 1/27 and I got the full amount of $320 a couple days ago.
My statement closed 2/5. Looks like the people who got these "adjustments" have closing dates in early February.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 9:52 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, SW Companion
Originally Posted by changger1
Me too. I was expecting $150.00+ in rewards. Got 3 bucks instead. I don't think they're paying out 5% on our Pharmacy and Grocery store purchases anymore. Dagger.
I don't think that's the issue...my actual statement shows correct reward dollars.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: straight cash homey
Originally Posted by sybloc
Amex must be hurting. Not only are the rewards posting ridiculously late but NONE of the Amex Offers I completed have credited. Not a single one. And I've lost track of how many travel/hotel/rental-car offers I completed. They used to credit almost instantly. Never thought it would come to this but if they don't credit by the end of March I'm going to have to start submitting complaints.

Has anyone else experienced this?
This just starting happening to me too. I finally called and asked for them to be credited. After transfer to a manager, they were.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.