Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old Jan 26, 2016, 7:19 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread includes all posts for 2016 onwards. The previous 2013- 2014 megathread is here. The 2015 thread is here.

This card is no longer available to new applicants!

Bonus category spending is now capped at $50,000 per year.

Oct 22, 2014 onwards: Many people getting cancellation email from Amex.

Amex may continue to close accounts for excessive spend in bonus categories. Some who have been shutdown are reporting back that AMEX is declining new non-OBC card applications due to "unsatisfactory relationship". (However, see here for an example where reconsideration was successful.) It is unclear at this time the length/extent of this Adverse Action/Ban.

If AMEX sends you a cancellation it goes on your record as a cancellation by AMEX, not a cancellation by cardholder. While FICO score does not distinguish between closed by issuer and closed by cardholder, on manual review it may raise questions. However, issuers close cards for benign reasons as well (such as non-use) so unless several cards have been closed it probably won't cause a rejection by itself.

Excessive MS on this card may sever your ties with Amex. Consider factors that may have led to these closures when sharing personal experiences.

Up to 5% Cash Back at U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores (Everyday Purchases). Up to 1% Cash Back on other purchases. For your first $6,500ą spend in a reward year˛, you will earn 1% on Everyday Purchasesł (5% after 6500⁴), and 0.5% on other purchases (then 1%).

0% intro APR on purchases and balance transfers for 15 months.

Eligible purchases do NOT include fees or interest charges, balance transfers, cash advances, purchases of travelers checks, purchases or reloading of prepaid cards, or purchases of other cash equivalents. Additional terms and restrictions apply. (Presume these T&Cs are standard and that all credit cards state this)

ą First '$6,500' is spend on all purchases.

ł 'everyday purchases' refers to U.S. supermarkets, U.S. gas stations & select U.S. drugstores, not all purchases.

⁴ 5% kicks in immediately after hitting $6500.(mid-statement). In fact, it will even kick in mid-purchase and a portion of the purchase will credit at the higher rate.

* Reward dollars for the previous statement period show up a day or two after the current statement period closes.

* Most cash back redemptions will be applied to your statement within 2–3 days.

* Helpful post regarding moving CL between cards. Thanks lad2

* How to Visually Distinguish the Three Types of Blue Cash Cards:
Blue Cash (old) has a "<" character to the left of the word CASH
Blue Cash Everyday has a circle to the right of the word CASH, with the "Everyday" wording at the back.
Blue Cash Preferred has the word PREFERRED printed vertically on the extreme left side.

If you get the error message "You cannot be logged in. Please contact the number on the back of your card." when trying to redeem Reward Dollars online, it may be because you have too many closed accounts still showing in your scrolling images of cards. Delete the closed ones, then try to redeem again.
Print Wikipost

Old Amex Blue (2016 onwards)[not taking new applications]

Old May 3, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by Justthetruth
I understand. I probably didn't mention it, I met the 6500 a few months ago. So whether its one or three statements behind, it should still post at 5%.

As others said, I will wait till they figure it out and fix it. There is no point in poking a sleeping (yet quite aware) dog.
Were you close to hitting the 50k cap?
Old May 4, 2016, 3:54 pm

It's the day my statement closed, and I can't access the rewards page or 'track rewards.' It says 'Unavaliable' or 'Call the number on the back of the card.'

I used my card earlier today just fine.

Is this normal around the statement close? I know they are irregular about posting bonuses.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:12 am

I tried to search for the answer to my question but read several conflicting reports, so was just wondering if any of you could answer/confirm:

If I use do my initial $6,500 at drug stores/supermarkets, would my overall everyday purchase cap become $50,000 - $6500 for 5% category later on?

Thanks!
Old May 15, 2016, 12:09 pm

I believe it is up to 50k of 5% CB in the everyday spend category. It doesn't matter how you reached the $6500 spend.
Old May 15, 2016, 12:34 pm

Anyone know how the anniversary works. Does it reset on the statement that your anniversary falls into or the one after that?
Old May 15, 2016, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by bigauto
Anyone know how the anniversary works. Does it reset on the statement that your anniversary falls into or the one after that?
I'm like 99% sure it's every calendar year and resets January 1st.
Old May 15, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
I wish. It would be so much easier.
Old May 15, 2016, 4:17 pm

Absolutely not.

It's the two new blues that are calendar. The old blue is anniversary date.
Old May 15, 2016, 8:44 pm

Nope.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:52 am

I just got my statement today, all of my drugtore/supermarket posted at 1% instead of 5%. Do I need to be worried?
anyone else having same issue?
Old May 17, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by zaxon
I just got my statement today, all of my drugtore/supermarket posted at 1% instead of 5%. Do I need to be worried?
Interesting. My statement closed on the 7th and I got my 5%. But the 5% was awarded from the previous statement as it seems Amex for me is paying me one statement later.
Old May 17, 2016, 12:28 pm

yes, my cash bck was also for the previous statement.not the one that closed yesterday.
even small chages of a few dollars at supermarkets got 1%.
I was getting 5% two statements ago.
my anniversary year starts january.

Originally Posted by alphakenny1
Interesting. My statement closed on the 7th and I got my 5%. But the 5% was awarded from the previous statement as it seems Amex for me is paying me one statement later.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by zaxon
You haven't maxed out the 50k or just started a new cycle?
Old May 17, 2016, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by alphakenny1
...the 5% was awarded from the previous statement as it seems Amex for me is paying me one statement later.
Eh, that's how it works. Read the thread much ?
Old May 17, 2016, 6:00 pm

Ah, I've been so preoccupied with other things that I totally forgot to reach higher with this card. I only got ~$38 000 before my card member year ended. Oh well.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.