Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Jan 22, 2016, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This thread has posts from 2016 onward; prior posts can be found here.
The thread for 2018 is here.
***If you buy gift cards outside promotions, you will earn ZERO points.***

Giant MD and Stop & Shop's points now stack with Shell's Fuel Rewards. See more here.
If you link a Mastercard to Fuel Rewards, you will earn an additional $0.15/gal for every $100 spent on anything at Giant/S&S with that card through the end of the year.

Accepted tender: Cash, credit, and debit. Also available are mobile/contactless payment (Apple Pay, etc.) and mobile loyalty (card barcode via app).

Summary
Stop & Shop (S&S), Giant Food Stores (Giant PA), and Giant Food (Giant MD) offer points for purchases which can be redeemed for a discount on the price paid per gallon on fuel sales at Shell and S&S/Giant fuel stations. $100* spend = 100 pts = 10c/gal discount. The particular rules vary between the three brands, and within Giant PA, the rules vary by location. Refer to the bottom of this wiki post for more information or links to official info from each brand.

Feel free to update this Wiki or suggest improvements. The goal is to help all of us spend less on gas!

- - - - - - - - - -
Current promotions
Fuel Rewards:
- $0.15/gal for every $100 spent at qualifying supermarkets with a Mastercard through the end of the year
Weekly Ad (advert starting 2017-__-__):
- Stop & Shop:
- Giant MD:
- Giant PA:
- Martin's:
- - - - - - - - - -
Additional Information

A loyalty card is required to take advantage of gas rewards. They look like the above image and can be obtained either online (links at end of wiki) or in-person (at the customer service counter).

The cards currently on promotion are listed in the current weekly circular and usually change every week. VISA and MC from Metabank or US Bank for $20-$500 (plus $5.95 fee) work. For GCs, if it meets the previous requirements, the packaging (blue, silver, birthday cake, etc.) doesn't matter! Check the issuing bank on the back.

S&S and Giant (DC, DE, MD, and VA) allow you to redeem up to 1500 points ($1.50/gal) per fuel purchase, and points expire 30 days after the qualifying purchase. With Giant PA, there is no limit to the number of points redeemed at one time.

Points earned in one program cannot be used in another program.

Your ID may be required when buying gift cards. Your name and other info may also be recorded for purchases over a discretionary dollar value. Whether you're buying a $100 card or a $5k stack, your experience will vary.

You can view your account online using the link at the bottom of the wiki.

It's best to purchase gift cards at the customer service counter, but reports state that a single $500 gift card can be paid for at any register without an issue. Purchases over $1k will require manager authorisation with a physical key, which may slow down the queue. You can go to the Solution Center to save time and make things easier for everyone.

Giant Eagle and Giant Food are different chains with different ownership, and this thread is not relevant to the former.

If you have more points in your account than are redeemed for a fuel purchase, then the remaining points will stay in your account until their respective expiration date(s). For example, if you have 2500 points and debit the 1500 ($1.50/gal) maximum, you will have 1000 points left. Similar behaviour if gas is ever below $1.50/gal before discount.

If you don't receive eligible points with your purchase due to system or human error, you can have them retroactively added by customer service (in-store or by phone). Have your receipt and a copy of the advert. It can take up to 24 hours for keyed points to appear in your account.
Official Rewards Pages
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Weekly Circulars
Stop & Shop Giant MD Giant PA
Print Wikipost

Stop & Shop and Giant supermarkets gas rewards points on gift card purchases(2016-17)

Old Mar 10, 2016, 7:56 am

Went to one this morning, signs were posted -- cash & PIN based debit only.

I didn't attempt to buy, although from the sounds of it, they're enforced by the
cashiers rather than the POS at this point?

Originally Posted by rylan
No issue in MA, at least the S&S I visit. Did notice they had a new card reader at the service desk that has the chip function, although they still said to swipe the card. Sure would be crappy if they go cash only.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

local giants sold out, some say to go to service desk, and require key at cashier

some employees report many people buying with WF >
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manuf...es-2016-a.html

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Mar 10, 2016 at 8:45 am
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
No-go in eastern CT; cashier said that there was a bulletin posted upstairs that she saw this morning. No signage at POS.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:44 am

I have a DM that I call when there have been overzealous CSRs in the past. He didn't have any new info, only that a memo came down from corporate yesterday evening and it was not normal and was related to fraud concerns. I broached the issue of chip & pin and he said that it was very likely related to that, but there was no timetable set and this was only a change until further notice (so there's still hope).

It is not hardcoded, but all of the stores that I tried immediately asked me what method of payment I was using and shut me down when I said credit.

Edit: I also pressed on if any exceptions could be made for someone like myself, and he said this is not a store or district decision, and they cannot make any sort of exception. This guy knows me very well and is fully aware of what I do and supports it as long as I keep under the daily limits.

Edit2: I am based in MA, just for data points.

Last edited by Insder; Mar 10, 2016 at 8:54 am Reason: More info
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

only in NE (MA/CT) ?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 8:52 am

No CC accepted; cash only or debit card only.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:11 am

This sucks. I always pick up some GCs on the last day of the gas pts promo to make sure I can get free gasoline for as long as I can, but got shut down in two MA stores today. One had a sign that a lady at Cust Service showed me and at the other one CSR verbally told me that they no longer accept CCs for Visa/MC/AMEX GC purchases.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:20 am

Based in MA. Went to one SS I always go to and was followed by a purple shirt to the register where she loudly reminded the cashier about the new policy. Denied. Went to another SS that I stop by on the way to work multiple times a week- signage was posted. The customer service lady recognized me, I asked to buy the GCs, she asked how I was paying, I said credit, then she looked down behind her desk and I saw her reading something for a good 10 seconds then she looked up and said okay, and asked to see the card and I offered her my license and she took that too and gave them right back after a quick glance. Transaction when through as normal. My gut feeling is she was aware of the new policy but maybe we reluctant to decline me as she knows I'm a regular there and a nice guy to here. Who knows, but definitely not hardcoded.

Insder, what strings did you pull to get in with a DM you sly dog.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:28 am

Datapoint --

Went to No. Va. Giant this morning, where I have purchased many, many $Ks of cards, including 10-15 earlier this week. Was told by a cashier with whom I frequently deal that sales are now only cash/debit, starting yesterday. No signage, didn't force/test the issue.

All good things ...
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by Insder
I have a DM that I call when there have been overzealous CSRs in the past. He didn't have any new info, only that a memo came down from corporate yesterday evening and it was not normal and was related to fraud concerns. I broached the issue of chip & pin and he said that it was very likely related to that, but there was no timetable set and this was only a change until further notice (so there's still hope).

It is not hardcoded, but all of the stores that I tried immediately asked me what method of payment I was using and shut me down when I said credit.

Edit: I also pressed on if any exceptions could be made for someone like myself, and he said this is not a store or district decision, and they cannot make any sort of exception. This guy knows me very well and is fully aware of what I do and supports it as long as I keep under the daily limits.

Edit2: I am based in MA, just for data points.
Thanks for the report from your DM! It jives with what I heard from a couple of store managers.. fraud is through the roof. According to one of the managers I speak to, they deal with 75k/week in her district alone.

Hopefully this isn't a no turning back switch, and once chip cards are used the stores will feel confident in going back to allowing CC.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
Thanks for the report from your DM! It jives with what I heard from a couple of store managers.. fraud is through the roof. According to one of the managers I speak to, they deal with 75k/week in her district alone.

Hopefully this isn't a no turning back switch, and once chip cards are used the stores will feel confident in going back to allowing CC.
Terminology that I was told was "rampant fraud". Recently, two other chains in my area completely pulled variable VGCs off the shelves (Hannaford and Shaws), so I have to assume the fraud just shifted. When I asked Shaws about the missing VGCs, I was given the same line about lots of fraud with those cards.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
Stopped at a couple more in RI on my way into providence, both had identical signs at POS saying no CC.

I can buy a OV at another store and use that as debit at stop and shop, right?
Old Mar 10, 2016, 9:44 am

Originally Posted by tuphat
Datapoint --

Went to No. Va. Giant this morning, where I have purchased many, many $Ks of cards, including 10-15 earlier this week. Was told by a cashier with whom I frequently deal that sales are now only cash/debit, starting yesterday. No signage, didn't force/test the issue.

All good things ...
got my daily fix in NoVA.
She mentioned something about debit and I played dumb. She said there was some that came down last night. When she tried to call manager to confirm he didn't answer and she processed transaction.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by riphamilton
Stopped at a couple more in RI on my way into providence, both had identical signs at POS saying no CC.

I can buy a OV at another store and use that as debit at stop and shop, right?
yup. If you'd like to double your cost.
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:03 am

Programs: CO, UA, AA, WN, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Insder
Terminology that I was told was "rampant fraud". Recently, two other chains in my area completely pulled variable VGCs off the shelves (Hannaford and Shaws), so I have to assume the fraud just shifted. When I asked Shaws about the missing VGCs, I was given the same line about lots of fraud with those cards.
I'm wondering what sort of fraud. Is it fraudulent/stolen credit cards being used to buy the gift cards? Or the gift cards being tampered with as was happening in CA recently?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.