Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 10, 2016, 7:37 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: radonc1
As of 9/18/21: WM loads are no longer free. WM will charge each load (no matter what the size) $3.74 in addition to the money being deposited into your Go Bank account.

GoBank fees and limits:

Cash deposits are limited to $2,500 per day and $3,000 per 30 days, subject to a maximum account balance of $50,000.
  • Sign up with a starter kit from participating retail stores Purchase a starter kit at a participating retail location ($2.95 or less) + start your account for as little as $20, up to $500
  • Monthly Membership FREE in any month that you make qualifying direct deposits totaling at least $500. Otherwise, $8.95 per month. For more details on the Monthly Membership fee
    Keep in mind the maximum number of swipes for payment when loading prepaid reloadables including GoBank is THREE. Swiping the prepaid card is considered as FIRST swipe so it leaves you with THREE remaining swipes so plan accordingly.
Lots of $200 loads can get you shutdown. GoBank does not like paying load fees on low denomination loads. Two $500 loads is better than five $200 loads.

The monthly fee will accumulate if the account is dormant. You must call the phone number on the back to close the account.

5/29/19 - There may be a difference in which card gets free loads at WM. Getting the card online through GoBank.com sends out a Visa version. This card may not allow free loads at WM. Reports are that getting the card directly at WM will result in free loads. If anyone can confirm this, please do so.

-----------------------------
Shut down reports:

Please list your load/spend/billpay details (in a single statement/lifetime?) e.g.,
type of load, number of loads, denomination of your gc or mp, amount of your billpay, any actual swipe/dd?

lad2 (closed) - May: $2.7K 9 loads 5DDs - June: $5.5K 5 loads 6DDs - July: $4.6K 6 loads 1DD - August $9.9K 19 loads 1DD - no swipes

TheDapperDon (open) June $4.5k 5 loads. All GCs. 1 swipe. Everything else BP to CC. 1500 most loaded in one day .July - $3489 5 loads. All GCs. Several swipes. No load until below $20 or so remaining.

raghu455 (closed) May $2k 4 loads, june $7k all GCs. All BP to CC.

drdrew450 (closed) 17K in loads, unloaded all through bill pay, less than a month

cuebert (closed) $4.5k in 9 MP loads, BP out. That was fast.

sgideons (closed) May $7k 17 loads, june $17k 27 loads, july $5k 6 loads, september $3.5k 4 loads. Unloaded 90% ACH pull, 5% PP to self, 5% bill pay tool. Closed on September statement date.

MDWCommuter (closed): June only, $8k in 60 loads, all GC. $2k is most loaded in one day. Wrote 2 BP to CC checks, no ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, always carried at least a $1k balance

ArtemK (closed): 1st month - 5/21 - 6/21 - loaded $6,700, 6/21 - 6/30 - $4K loaded, all via GCs. Unloaded all via BP to Citi and Chase. No ATM, no MP loads, no ACH pull, no DD, no swipes.

rdover1 (Closed): 1st month - $23.6k loaded (WM GC), ~$1k spend, rest bill pay (mostly to CC)
rdover1 2nd card (closed): Closed mid cycle, survived 1st month. No bill pay, only MO. Never loaded over ~$4k. Total activity ~$12k.

T3pleShot (closed): 7k in loads at WMT, 10 loads, mostly $500, some $200, $4k billpay to CC, 5 swipes totaling about $25.

ctbarron (open): Month1 - $3.8k loaded, all bill pay out, 1 swipe; Month2 - $3.7k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD; Month3 - $4.2k loaded, all bill pay out, few swipes and an ATM WD. Zero membership fee, usually a balance of under $150.

americanindian (closed)- closed after 3 months today. had about 7.5k deposit each month, with lots of small value(<$20) purchases each month. liquidated mostly using bill pay.

rodsren (closed)- the dapperdon warned me. I was closed today after less than 5,500 or loaaing in less than 3 weeks (was going to try to keep it to 7,500 - 10,000 but didn't luck out.)

binnycode (closed, re-opened) - 7x $200 loads + 1x $700 load + 3x $500 over 2 days got me shut down. Called CSR and they re-opened my account, letting me know that "direct deposit would reduce my number of trips to walmart" lol!

tarcapone (open) old version opened October 2014 still alive February 2016. Load $1k/week ($4-$5K per month) nearly every Monday morning. Bill pay out large chunks to Credit cards. (Open) new version Opened November 2015 load $1K per week, but skipping a week each month. Bill pay out large chunks. My $1K/week is always one transaction (2x$500GC).

Print Wikipost

Gobank by Greendot - online banking with debit card(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2016, 6:52 pm

have been using this card for 2 months , but just max of 1500 $ per month. deposited 1 300$ money order using the app.

Hope it stays alive atleast to load 200 gc
Old Jan 20, 2016, 9:29 pm

Wow, are we on some MS blacklist somewhere?
Old Jan 21, 2016, 7:03 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
This has got to be a first . . .

My wife and I successfully applied for Go cards, funding them online with $100 from our Buxx accounts.

We just got the cards in the mail. I went to activate them. When I log in to activate, it says that our accounts have already been closed! I checked our Buxx accounts, and at least they've refunded our $100 deposits. I must be the first person to ever get his account closed before he even used it.

BTW, I tried to call them to ask about this, and the phone tree just shuts me down, saying my account is closed, don't try to open a new greendot account, and "goodbye." Is there a way to reach a human being in this situation. I kind of feel they owe me an explanation, and perhaps a chance to reconsider.
This also happened to me. Although it's not possible to get someone on the phone by calling, I hit them up on facebook and they had someone call me (and then promptly put me on hold for 15 minutes).

GoBank claimed they were "notified" that the draft from my checking account was "unauthorized." Notified by whom? They couldn't say. Could I have this in writing? Nope, we can't give you anything in writing. Can I apply for another card? No, can't do that either (the woman kept repeating "well since we've 'secured' your information, we can't reopen the account." Apparently they've been instructed to use the word "secured" over and over).

Last edited by trouble747; Jan 21, 2016 at 7:12 am
Old Jan 21, 2016, 1:02 pm

Programs: Delta DDM 720, SPG Unobtainium, CC Adamantium, can I keep bragging now?
Originally Posted by Clueless12
Hard to believe the "unusual activity" when the card hasn't been used other than initial funding.
Exactly my thoughts, very odd.
Old Jan 21, 2016, 5:52 pm

Has anyone tried purchasing the $2.95 pack in the store and loading with cash?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:01 am

I bought one in store with a real debit last weekend. Then did two $200 vgc loads at Kate on wed no problem. Used it yesterday for a swipe purchase.
Old Jan 22, 2016, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by shadow520
I bought one in store with a real debit last weekend. Then did two $200 vgc loads at Kate on wed no problem. Used it yesterday for a swipe purchase.
Was your account closed previously by them?
Old Jan 22, 2016, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Was your account closed previously by them?
Nope, first time I've had any green dot/go bank product.
Old Jan 25, 2016, 10:39 am

Anyone know if they charge the monthly fee if my account is empty?
Old Jan 26, 2016, 5:30 am
DH

Originally Posted by iahphx
This has got to be a first . . .

My wife and I successfully applied for Go cards, funding them online with $100 from our Buxx accounts.

We just got the cards in the mail. I went to activate them. When I log in to activate, it says that our accounts have already been closed! I checked our Buxx accounts, and at least they've refunded our $100 deposits. I must be the first person to ever get his account closed before he even used it.

BTW, I tried to call them to ask about this, and the phone tree just shuts me down, saying my account is closed, don't try to open a new greendot account, and "goodbye." Is there a way to reach a human being in this situation. I kind of feel they owe me an explanation, and perhaps a chance to reconsider.
I was wondering whether initial funding with Visa Buxx was mistake. I tried to fund using ST DL debit card first but ST blocked it as possible fraud. Now I'm wondering whether open an account under my wife's name or not...
Old Jan 27, 2016, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by stupidzbu
you animals are going to kill another tool I've been using for YEARS...

I load and then let the money sit there for a while before unloading
^

How much do you load in one shot? I usually do 2 X 500, let it sit for a week, unload.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 4:46 pm

how do I avoid getting hit by a monthly fee? I don't want to DD my payroll @ gobank.
Old Jan 27, 2016, 5:39 pm

can you load go bank using Kate?
Old Jan 27, 2016, 6:57 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, United Silver, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by oozze
can you load go bank using Kate?
Yes. Good luck finding a working Kate....
Old Jan 27, 2016, 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by GetawaysRus
Yes. Good luck finding a working Kate....
I assumed after BB/Serve Shutdown, i might have a chance to find one working.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.