Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 9, 2016, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This wiki is to an old thread and is no longer current and is no longer being maintained and/or updated.

Note: the 2015 version of the thread is here: New to Manufactured spending? Start Here(2015)

The 2017 discussion is here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1812407-new-manufactured-spending-start-here-2017-a.html#post27694982

Welcome to Manufactured Spending. If you are new here, please spend some time reading before posting. Most likely your questions have already been answered multiple times. Consider deals that you share. These threads are searchable by Google. A volatile deal may be worth holding close to the vest.

Hints

1) On FT, topics are heavily consolidated. Sometimes the title of the thread and first few posts may not properly reflect the broad range of discussion inside the thread. Be sure to visit any thread relating to the product or service you want to learn more about because you might be surprised by how in depth the discussion really is. High "View Count" and "Replies" are good indicators of active "master threads" on a specific topic.

2) Use Google to search FT. It works a lot better than the built-in search.

Important Rules

1) MSing is very YMMV. It varies by store, manager, and right down to the cashier working at the moment. That being said, always be nice and courteous in the face of rejection. The biggest secret for success is to lay low so you can try again.

2) DO NOT spend more than you can afford. START WITH SMALL AMOUNTS TO TEST THE WATER! As an example.. don't start with a $5000 purchase of VGCs if you can't afford to float that much! Instead, buy one and try it, and scale up once you are comfortable with a new method. It's easy to lose track, or get robbed, when you are handling so much money. Getting a refund is NOT always possible.

3) DO NOT ask employees, cashiers, customer service representatives, etc... about how to MS, or about things you read on this forum. The information you read here are very specific, unknown, legal uses of products or services. Most employees, cashiers, and even managers do not know about them. At best you'll get bad information. At worst you'll create a lot of unnecessary misunderstanding.

4) It bears repeating that there are no guarantees. you could easily buy $10,000 in gift cards or some other instrument, only to discover that your method for liquidating them vanishes the very next day. MS is not "normal" financial activity ("normal" being defined by the banks), and thus is often perceived as "suspicious" even if it is legal.

5) never underestimate the risk of criminal activity. gift cards can easily be stolen, loaded onto a compromised account, loaded in a debit card skimmer, or even fraudulent (e.g., an already used card put back on the rack).

If you have a question that does not seem to fit anywhere, or you have not found an appropriate place for it, post it here.

- A helpful note from seat17D about some of the inherent risks of MS
Print Wikipost

New to Manufactured Spending? Start Here (2016)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2016, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
It's been noted that people have gotten multi BoA cards, but then again its YMMV
And that has nothing to do with whether they are tolerant of spending on their cards either, which is what the OP is asking.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by haoxli
well, I need someone to confirm the amex. Someone here says he bought a few thousand, then the cops showed up
It was me, and it was Homeland Security that came to my front door at 7:30am. Once again, they said that MS is not illegal. Keep Churning all you want.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:12 pm

I am trying to find the most advantageous route to MS $5000. I've already spent $1000. But I'm trying to decifer the best option to get MO's to pay two debts that I owe and the places will only accept MO's or cheques.

It would help me meet pretty much my entire spend. I live in Canada btw.

From what I can tell I should take the cc I want to use and buy AMGC and then buy VGC's with them then MO's?

Or could you load Serve with the cc and then purchase the MO?

And is that more cost effective than just using Plastiq
Old Apr 29, 2016, 7:38 pm

You CANNOT do this because am3x prepaids run as credit (PIN is used only to w/d at atm) and you can't buy MOs with it.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
You CANNOT do this because am3x prepaids run as credit (PIN is used only to w/d at atm) and you can't buy MOs with it.
I see. So how would I go about buying a MO then?

Currently it seems Plastiq is the best option even though I pay 2.5% on the transaction.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by ajhardee
It was me, and it was Homeland Security that came to my front door at 7:30am. Once again, they said that MS is not illegal. Keep Churning all you want.
I tried money order, the post office only accept debit or cash. They don't take credit cards anymore. Where did you get yours? Western union?
Old Apr 29, 2016, 9:13 pm

I'm thinking buying fine wine as investment
Old Apr 30, 2016, 12:58 am

I'm thinking buying fine wine as investment
Also buy a bunch of corks. If things go bad with the wine investment, the corks will def help you stay afloat. @:-)
Old Apr 30, 2016, 4:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I tried money order, the post office only accept debit or cash. They don't take credit cards anymore. Where did you get yours? Western union?
Post Office NEVER took CC for Money Orders,.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 6:02 am

Grocery stores
Old Apr 30, 2016, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by jayta78
I see. So how would I go about buying a MO then?

Currently it seems Plastiq is the best option even though I pay 2.5% on the transaction.
TBH, I don't know the MS environment in Canada. Go to grocery stores, drugstores and gas stations there to see if they sell variable Visa/MC giftcards. Then use those to buy MOs at the grocery stores.Google for MS forums in Canada, you may find your answers there. Most info you'll read here applies in the US and I'm not sure it'll be the same in Canada.

If I may suggest, it is best to make plans on how you'll meet min spend on CC(s) you plan to get before applying.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:51 pm
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by nitrousfiz
That's awesome. Thanks for the tip! ^
You're quite welcome, sir. Incidentally, I completely stand by what I wrote.
Old Apr 30, 2016, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Talking

I am trying to find the most advantageous route to MS $5000. I've already spent $1000. But I'm trying to decifer the best option to get MO's to pay two debts that I owe and the places will only accept MO's or cheques.

It would help me meet pretty much my entire spend. I live in Canada btw.

From what I can tell I should take the cc I want to use and buy AMGC and then buy VGC's with them then MO's?

And is that more cost effective than just using Plastiq
For Lucrative Signup Bonuses, I would recommend Square. I have a friend in Canada who recently signed up. While u cannot swipe your own CC, it is perfectly OK to swipe your AU's Card. Money is in your bank account in 1 Day. I have often billed my wife's Card with no problem. I recently did this to achieve our $500 Cash Bonus from Spark.

Last edited by tcook052; May 1, 2016 at 9:04 am Reason: remove referral offer
Old May 2, 2016, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
TBH, I don't know the MS environment in Canada. Go to grocery stores, drugstores and gas stations there to see if they sell variable Visa/MC giftcards. Then use those to buy MOs at the grocery stores.Google for MS forums in Canada, you may find your answers there. Most info you'll read here applies in the US and I'm not sure it'll be the same in Canada.

If I may suggest, it is best to make plans on how you'll meet min spend on CC(s) you plan to get before applying.
I don't think we can buy MO's from grocery stores in Canada - perhaps someone could verify or not. I have not seen them offer them.

As far as min spend, I have options to make it. I have two large payments I could use but the problem is that they will only take MO or Cash or cheque. This is my issue, which is why I ask about MO's as well.

Ram Trucks: Sorry what do you mean? I googled Square and what comes up is that thing you can attach to your phone to take payments. Is that what you mean? What sign up bonus is available? But doesn't it cost much to get one?
Old May 2, 2016, 10:23 pm
Suspended

I don't think we can buy MO's from grocery stores in Canada - perhaps someone could verify or not. I have not seen them offer them.

As far as min spend, I have options to make it. I have two large payments I could use but the problem is that they will only take MO or Cash or cheque. This is my issue, which is why I ask about MO's as well.

Ram Trucks: Sorry what do you mean? I googled Square and what comes up is that thing you can attach to your phone to take payments. Is that what you mean? What sign up bonus is available? But doesn't it cost much to get one?
Hi Jayta. Yes, u can attach something to a smartphone, but since I don't have a smartphone, I use their invoice system. I can email an invoice to anybody I want. So I "bill" my wife, and she "Pays" me. They will send u a free Card reader if u wish to use 1. They do Charge 2.75% Processing Fee, so I use this when I have A Signup Bonus to hit, and I don't feel like leaving home. While ya can't accept your "Own" CC, u can accept a family member's CC. So, sign up your spouse as an "AU". Then you can Charge their Card, and The Loot goes to your bank account. If u send me a PM, I will describe the Sign-On Bonus to u. There is no cost to sign up to Square. Good Luck.

Last edited by Ram Trucks; May 2, 2016 at 10:45 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.