Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
Dont know what bank you deal with but according to Chase and WF, the purchaser needs to be filled out or they wont accept it.
I realize this to be true, but what would Chase do to confirm identity of purchaser? What if you put "John Jones" or some other random name down? I also wouldn't go within 100 feet of Chase or citi with a MO. You don't ___ where you eat.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by DeltaNeutral28
I realize this to be true, but what would Chase do to confirm identity of purchaser? What if you put "John Jones" or some other random name down? I also wouldn't go within 100 feet of Chase or citi with a MO. You don't ___ where you eat.
Or you can put your SO's name, so two names, purchaser and receiver are different.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 8:43 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nfpa70e
Or you can put your SO's name, so two names, purchaser and receiver are different.
Yeah, because they can't see through that *rolleyes*.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 3:54 pm
jk2

Barclays shutdown my and my wife accounts today, only one card (arrival+) was used for MS others were dormant. My arrival had low CL (2k), so couple of months I had to cycle it. My wife never did it.

I wonder how Long Barclays remember?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by jk2
Barclays shutdown my and my wife accounts today, only one card (arrival+) was used for MS others were dormant. My arrival had low CL (2k), so couple of months I had to cycle it. My wife never did it.

What type of MSing? The recent uptick in Barclaycard shutdowns is worrisome.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:28 pm
jk2

Originally Posted by missing_link
What type of MSing? The recent uptick in Barclaycard shutdowns is worrisome.
nothing unusual - cvs, wmt, grocery store purchases, some travel related purchases as well.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by jk2

How many times did you cycle it that month?
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:03 pm

Got the Barclays shutdown the day before I was going to cancel it.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:00 am
jk2

Originally Posted by gw14
2x. I had a travel expense to reimburse, but during the road barclays lowered my CL, so I had to cycle my CL in order to get enough miles in 120 days. After that I didn't. My wife's card were used for MS but she had a sufficient CL, so she did 80% of CL max.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 4:30 am

Both my and my wife's Aviator were recently shut down while we were traveling abroad. We hit both cards extremely hard for the 13 months we had it and paid by various instruments including mailed in MOs and CFP BP. Both cards were above $20k CL each and we cycled it 2-3x every month.

HUCA a few times but only managed to have them waived the annual fees. Couldn't even get a reasonable explanation why the accounts were closed. Beyond losing the CLs, we weren't too upset about this as we just burned most of our AA miles and moved our currency to something else.

Oh well.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 1:52 pm

I received a certified letter from key bank to call them. I'm assuming it's regarding my MO deposits. Ive only had the account open about 5 or 6 months and I deposity less then 5k a month, raning from .5k to 1.5k per ATM deposit.

Do I tell them I purchase MOs for FF points and/or cashback on a credit card?
Old Feb 12, 2016, 3:16 pm

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by lumangoy
I received a certified letter from key bank to call them. I'm assuming it's regarding my MO deposits. Ive only had the account open about 5 or 6 months and I deposity less then 5k a month, raning from .5k to 1.5k per ATM deposit.

Do I tell them I purchase MOs for FF points and/or cashback on a credit card?
I'd say yes. Being vague or evasive seems very risky. They already suspect something fishy, so why not just explain what you're doing? That way, you should have a decent chance of staying alive. If you're vague, that will only confirm their suspicions I would think. However, I have no first hand experience, so take this for what it's worth.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by gw14
So they are proactively closing down :/)
Old Feb 12, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta Gold. Hilton Diamond. Hyatt Explorist.
Originally Posted by donuteric
Both my and my wife's Aviator were recently shut down while we were traveling abroad. We hit both cards extremely hard for the 13 months we had it and paid by various instruments including mailed in MOs and CFP BP. Both cards were above $20k CL each and we cycled it 2-3x every month.

HUCA a few times but only managed to have them waived the annual fees. Couldn't even get a reasonable explanation why the accounts were closed. Beyond losing the CLs, we weren't too upset about this as we just burned most of our AA miles and moved our currency to something else.

Oh well.
My Barclays cards were also closed recently while I was traveling abroad. I'm not a heavy MSer, but I was loading my (now closed) SoftServe $1500 a month with my World arrival card for about 18 months. And I bought a few Amex gift cards back when we could get cash back on $2000 cards via portals. I never cycled my limit. I also had two Aviator cards that I rarely used. I got the letter saying that my accounts were closed based on a review of my account activity. It isn't a huge loss, but I hope I'm not banned for life by Barclays.
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ChrisFlyer66
My Barclays cards were also closed recently while I was traveling abroad.
So.. is the trend to not travel abroad, or not use a Barclays card abroad?

I am starting to wish we had a dedicated Barclays shutdown thread to try to make heads or tails of these data points. I'm MSing on one of my Aviator cards right now to hit the 6 month/30k mile bonus but I don't really want to lose my 2 Aviator cards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.