The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:47 am

Citi closed 3/4 cards yesterday. I can understand the shutdown but why let one card stay open?

Maybe they'll close it soon and they want to give me false hope.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by jjangoo
Citi closed 3/4 cards yesterday. I can understand the shutdown but why let one card stay open?

Maybe they'll close it soon and they want to give me false hope.
Best Buy (and possibly other) cards are managed from different units so the shutdowns are handled separately. You might have dodged a bullet or just a timing issue.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:55 am

Why'd Citi shut you down? What were you doing?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:55 am

Originally Posted by wrinkle7
yes they sell all your socks at market
Do they let you keep your shoes?
farwest101 likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:01 am

Originally Posted by AFAM-DFW
Best Buy (and possibly other) cards are managed from different units so the shutdowns are handled separately. You might have dodged a bullet or just a timing issue.
Can't be that, my surviving account is a Double Cash. I had 2 DC, AA Plat, and Hilton. Maybe they were going down a list and overlooked the 2nd DC because they had already closed one.

Originally Posted by compddd
Why'd Citi shut you down? What were you doing?
MS for sure. I haven't churned in a long time.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:20 am

Can't be that, my surviving account is a Double Cash. I had 2 DC, AA Plat, and Hilton. Maybe they were going down a list and overlooked the 2nd DC because they had already closed one.

MS for sure. I haven't churned in a long time.
What level/degree of MSing?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by missing_link
What level/degree of MSing?
1x CL if that
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:02 pm

were you do 1x cl on each card per month or alternating on different months?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by Fly1Away1
were you do 1x cl on each card per month or alternating on different months?
No not quite. AA plat only loaded buxx for the last 6 months (~10% of CL/month). It's been on the chopping block waiting for a downgrade once it hit its anniversary. Hilton hasn't had much love in the past 7 months because I already hit the 40k for diamond. Hadn't hit DC at all in the past month with the BB shutdowns. Before that I did sporadic MS on the DCs. 0.5x CL some months, some months none at all, 1x CL very infrequently if I had more free time than usual. Total MS never exceeded my reported income. All payments came from 2 CU accounts.

Been a Citi cardholder for 10 years and 2015 was one of the mildest MS years I've had in a long time. I'm 99% positive MS triggered the shutdown, but the timing seems odd.

I'm beginning to wonder if my recent BBVA approval had anything to do with it. They gave me a pretty large CL so maybe Citi didn't like my total revolving credit. That would somewhat explain my surviving account but I can't find any datapoints to support that hunch.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 1:22 pm

No not quite. AA plat only loaded buxx for the last 6 months (~10% of CL/month). It's been on the chopping block waiting for a downgrade once it hit its anniversary. Hilton hasn't had much love in the past 7 months because I already hit the 40k for diamond. Hadn't hit DC at all in the past month with the BB shutdowns. Before that I did sporadic MS on the DCs. 0.5x CL some months, some months none at all, 1x CL very infrequently if I had more free time than usual. Total MS never exceeded my reported income. All payments came from 2 CU accounts.

Been a Citi cardholder for 10 years and 2015 was one of the mildest MS years I've had in a long time. I'm 99% positive MS triggered the shutdown, but the timing seems odd.

I'm beginning to wonder if my recent BBVA approval had anything to do with it. They gave me a pretty large CL so maybe Citi didn't like my total revolving credit. That would somewhat explain my surviving account but I can't find any datapoints to support that hunch.
Given that level of MSing, it's hard to imagine that's the reason. That just doesn't sound that bad -- plenty of people do much more. Do you do anything on the banking side (e.g., MO deposits)?
Old Jan 28, 2016, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How did you make payments to your Citicards?

Given that level of MSing, it's hard to imagine that's the reason. That just doesn't sound that bad -- plenty of people do much more. Do you do anything on the banking side (e.g., MO deposits)?
Tend to agree the level of MSing does not seem out of line. There are something else involved.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 3:13 pm

Do you do anything on the banking side (e.g., MO deposits)?
No banking relationship with them.
Originally Posted by Happy
How did you make payments to your Citicards?

Tend to agree the level of MSing does not seem out of line. There are something else involved.
Already answered that. Two CU accounts (nothing else) via ACH pull from my Citi account. I only mention BB because their shutdowns made me prioritize other banks' cc over Citi. Did WM BP back in '13/'14 but with the payees disappearing from the system I haven't done it in forever.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 1:58 am

Chase Bank unilaterally shut down all my credit cards and banking accounts yesterday. I offloaded 743k UR points to Hyatt, United and southwest just now. I think what triggered it was the high volume of staples vgc purchases on my ink cards. I was pushing $5k a month on each card. Fortunately I still have Amex cards and citi cards
Old Jan 29, 2016, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly
Chase Bank unilaterally shut down all my credit cards and banking accounts yesterday. I offloaded 743k UR points to Hyatt, United and southwest just now. I think what triggered it was the high volume of staples vgc purchases on my ink cards. I was pushing $5k a month on each card. Fortunately I still have Amex cards and citi cards

5k a month at Staples doesn't seem like a large number.
Old Jan 29, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by windowandaisleseatonly
How many Ink cards did you have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.