Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:10 am

Originally Posted by @ORD
A couple of them within 6 months. Thanks for the CFPB tip.

Funny thing is Citi left 2 of my cards open, one Costco card I actively use recently, the other AA card with 0 balance. BTW all the closed cards carried a zero balance for at about 1 to 2 months before the closure.
All your Citi cards will be closed soon. That's what happened to me.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:18 am

What's the algorithm? Please share with everyone.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:44 pm

I had several Citi cards closed 2 weeks ago, only got letters from Executive Response Unit today for each of the closed cards. Basically it is a form letter stating they can close the cards at any time. The letters did NOT state any reason.

Is there anyway to get the decision reversed, at the very least get the paid annual fees refunded? AA exec and Prestige cards both charge hefty fees.

Thanks

@ORD
I also had 3 cards shut down; left only the Costco card for which I have not yet used.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 12:56 pm

I had several Citi cards closed 2 weeks ago, only got letters from Executive Response Unit today for each of the closed cards. Basically it is a form letter stating they can close the cards at any time. The letters did NOT state any reason.

Is there anyway to get the decision reversed, at the very least get the paid annual fees refunded? AA exec and Prestige cards both charge hefty fees.

Thanks

@ORD
What do you think were factors in the shutdown? Did you do much MS on the cards? WM billpay? MO deposit in Citi checking?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by madbrain
To clarify, most of my non-Barclay CCs were at >95% balance to limit ratio when Barclay shut me down. I took all those 0% balance transfer offers around the same time. So at least in my case, it did look like someone in a financial crisis and using up all their credit.
I hear you, but no one else shut you down, although they saw exactly the same behavior. I'm in the same situation. And nobody else shut me down either, at least YET (knock on wood : ) ). In fact I'd be much much more of a risk to other creditors due to higher CL's and number of CC's. That suggests to me that while you can be somewhat cowboyish with your spending behavior, Barclay is an exception to the rule and are quite a bit more sensitive to high balances than others.

What does the letter you received from Barclay about the shutdown say ?
I already threw away the original shutdown letter, but here's the one I got when applying to Frontier, with the reference to the shut down A+. That "negative performance" can be any reason why they shut you down, according to manager I talked to:
Attached Images  
Old Oct 26, 2016, 3:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Not true for Barclay . They definitely care about high balances vs limits on your other cards, and did shut me down for that very reason a decade back - read my posts above. They told me as much on the phone this was the reason.

Also, I found an OCR scan of the letter they sent me on Feb 29, 2008 . Here is an excerpt :
I would hardly use something that happened 8yrs ago as a current data point. I have seen CL decreased because of high balances, but never seen an account closed because of it.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 4:52 am

I used Google Wallet for about 2 months before I was shutdown. I was doing Vanillas from CVS and Mastercards from OM and grocery stores. It was great for the 200s. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
I used Google Wallet for about 2 months before I was shutdown. I was doing Vanillas from CVS and Mastercards from OM and grocery stores. It was great for the 200s. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
How much were you doing a month?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Thanks

@ORD
no. they will stonewall you with their b.s. "we can do whatever we want for whatever reason we want" excuse.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Clueless12
Would also like to know.

I don't normally MS aside from some Plastiq payments, but, I've been trying to take advantage of a Citi bonus (2 extra Citi TYP's per dollar on all spend up to 35K bonus points for 6 months). I'm trying to spend the entire $17,500 needed to max it out. I've been putting one $2000-ish charge from CVS and 2 $500-ish charges from Walgreens per month along with some organic spend each month.

Trying to figure out what the chances of them shutting me down over this (18 year relationship with Citi)? I don't do any billpays at all to the account, I always pay it off with my normal bank account.

Thanks!
Old Oct 27, 2016, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by Clueless12
I think I got 25000 through before getting shudown. I sent payments to my husband and he is not shutdown, so we might try my daughters account to send him payments or vice versa. It is very common to get shutdown from what I read, but I really don't need GW. Not sure if I will miss it.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Travelz
I think I got 25000 through before getting shudown. I sent payments to my husband and he is not shutdown, so we might try my daughters account to send him payments or vice versa. It is very common to get shutdown from what I read, but I really don't need GW. Not sure if I will miss it.
Any decimals missing in that number? I've only done one $200 transfer so far, but I know shutdown is common. I don't "need" it but wanted to try it and backups, albeit small amounts, are always good.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by jdbcc
Would also like to know.

I don't normally MS aside from some Plastiq payments, but, I've been trying to take advantage of a Citi bonus (2 extra Citi TYP's per dollar on all spend up to 35K bonus points for 6 months). I'm trying to spend the entire $17,500 needed to max it out. I've been putting one $2000-ish charge from CVS and 2 $500-ish charges from Walgreens per month along with some organic spend each month.

Trying to figure out what the chances of them shutting me down over this (18 year relationship with Citi)? I don't do any billpays at all to the account, I always pay it off with my normal bank account.

Thanks!
How do you ms through plastiq? Plastiq seems very on top of things to me. For a while I was able to send $ straight to my broker and credit card, but they killed it. I do keep trying ways to cash out through plastiq but my methods are very slow. I haven't tried sending a check to myself, I just assume it wouldn't work and I don;t want to upset plastiq. When they ask me to stop, I just stop.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by FlightNurse
I would hardly use something that happened 8yrs ago as a current data point. I have seen CL decreased because of high balances, but never seen an account closed because of it.
Just FYI, Barclays INDEED cares about high balance, even if you pay in full every month long before the due date.
There are other banks do the similar things too but less sensitive as Barclays.
You would be foolish in your assumption on how banks manage its risks.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Happy
Just FYI, Barclays INDEED cares about high balance, even if you pay in full every month long before the due date.
There are other banks do the similar things too but less sensitive as Barclays.
You would be foolish in your assumption on how banks manage its risks.
I guess I'm a fool, I'll give you a recent data points. Hubby and I are into flipping houses, we use CC for the rehab, my Barclay Siver Aviator card which has a 25K CL, currently has 22K on it, that balance been on there for 2 months, we just closed on a house Friday which will pay it off. Been doing this for a year, Barclay hasn't done anything negative to us, in fact when I inquired about a CL increase, they gave it to me. With these spends, it pushed me over the top with the 10K EQM go re~qual for PLTEX. I haven't done the traditional MS on my CC's in over a year and half, so please explain to me why I and hubby haven't been closed by Barlcay? We carry high balance on the CC and pay it off?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.