Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The 2016 Shutdown Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2016, 11:06 am

I think Msing for 2% on A+ isn't worth it either. I do MS 1% here and there. SPG, Ink (5%-fees, etc just a little over 1%), Hyatt, etc.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA, UA, US, DL, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Club C. Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by SPLP007
very little MS on my Arrival Plus---How much ?

picked up the pace last month---------How much

multiple payments
-------------from where and how often
around $300 in each of the last 2 months and this past month about $9K (my credit line is $13K). Up until last Dec., I was spending around $5K-$13K a month (MS with reg. spend mixed in).

I paid w/ online BP about 3 times in one month.

Last edited by World2Travel; Mar 29, 2016 at 2:14 pm Reason: incorrect amount
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ltg, B6, DL, UA, AS, SPG/Marriott Plt, HH, Hyatt
Barclays shutting people down and keeping their points

This is more of a MS HELP DESK post on how to get back lost points more than anything else.

It is relevant because as much as we earn em, there are many entities out there that really seem bent on not lettin us keep em!

I have not posted here in ages because I think the FT of today is so widely watched by companies that everything we say may as well be on a blog, and we all know the blogs hurt MS more than they will ever help it (ie blogs are the antithesis of all things MS and they don't "share" they take).

That said, this is the kind of info that SHOULD be on a blog so that people DO learn something from it and from when something in MS goes wrong, so here goes... Some of you have already run into this.

I have had a bunch of friends from MS email and text groups and in PMs tell me that recently, Barclays has shut them down and taken all their points. It goes something like this:

"I had about $400 worth of points and was disputing some $20 transaction with a merchant and Barclays suddenly shut me down..." or, "I had $550 worth of points and was pushing Barclays to credit me for some promo from a couple months ago and suddenly they just shut me down and took my points..."

In all these cases, Barclays seems to do this once they have put eyes on your account. And once they see any old or current MS activity (most of these people say they had bought GCs at some point with their Arrival etc) they zing ya. Even though there is nothing wrong with buying Gcs, Barclays seems to not want to let you have the points from doing so. We have all seen this stuff before.

My first inclination is that people should threaten Barclays by telling them they will go to small claims court. But several of the people I know who had this issue happen to them filed with CPFB and got surprisingly quick results (almost as if if CPFB knows about the sham Barclays is pulling and is just waiting to review any new complaints as they continue to roll in).

But if you do sue, take a few things into account (PS: I am no legal professional so weigh your options):

Firstly, it does depend on your state... in MA where I live, things are easier when it comes to someone needing to sue something. In some states I find it is much harder for the plaintiff.

As I have mentioned to others:

Their argument is that the contract between you the cardholder and them is that they can close an account for whatever reason.

...and that a closed account forfeits all points.

So what you need to do is counter this because what they are doing is a reversal of sorts.

First: find out EXACTLY who or what department to sue and get it perfectly right. Then no matter what, if you do get a court date, do make sure to show up and don't miss it.

Have your ducks in a row and say your piece. Have paperwork.

Remember:

You need to mention "Bait & Switch!" You are claiming this is what they did to you:

You had a lot of points. Yes they can close an acct at any time but why would they? You think they only did so because they don't want to award you on that fact you had all those points. They needed to make up what you shall call a near 'criminal' reason to take them away. They will try to tell you that you were the abuser when it's clear they are.

Stick to that and you should be ok. Remember. You did what the card allows in its TCs. Only once you got a lot of points did THEY act by becoming the aggressor and closing it on you without notice or without recourse (they should have at least let you redeem everything first)

They are trying to pull a reversal by saying they can close it for any reason and only then using that to now take your points. But you are sticking to the fact that the reason they closed you was to not give up them points and that's a scam-clearly.

Do use words like bait and switch, criminal, theft, etc

you have to stick with what you believe or what you train yourself to believe.

You entered the contract to use the card pay the bill and get the points. You did nothing wrong but earn a lot of them whilst following all and only their own TCs. Nothing more. You paid your bills and were on time etc. If this is all true, why ELSE would they close you off? If you closed the card, you would still owe them any remaining balance on it, right? Well then why do they get to keep your points when they close it on you for no real reason other than the fact that you had money they simply do not want to pay you?

Banks do NOT want to show up in court and have to explain why they closed people's accounts. Even if the TCs you may have agreed to stated that they can close any account for any reason. Even if these TCs state that any closed account will forfeit its points. The fact is, they do not like the exposure and any level headed moderator or judge is going to see how one sided and bad those TCs are anyway. Even if they are TCs, they may not hold up in your court. Remember that. A company can put anything it wants in the TCs... but is what they write actually legal and enforceable? Will a judge agree that it is?

For this reason it is likely they will settle although I know of at least one case that did go to court but the bank lost there anyway! They just wanted to tire and mess with the plaintiff, who did not give up and got everything back incl his fees and costs.

Stick with that and you win. It don't matter what you bought or when. You followed what the TCs allow. That is unless the judge is unfair, which is unlikely.

If you file with the CPFB just tell your story and what you are missing. A couple paragraphs in their online form will suffice.Explain the value of the points (generally, $100 is 10k points) and feel free to incorporate points made above. Because the fact is, you already earned those points (ie money) so they should owe them to you. Especially because they closed your account when you know you did nothing wrong. And unless they want to come to court and explain WHY they did so, they will in fact react rather quickly.

Some of the people I know of who had this happen got calls from the executive offices. They offered to pay the points in the form of a check or statement credit. They would not pay back the AF. But I say that once you see that credit, you should fight for that AF or a prorated amount of it!

And when you do get this call, ask the bloke who talks with you this:

"So, what are you doing about all the people you closed out who you know wont call? Is that how you make your money these days?"

What a sham!

good luck.

MM
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

its funny

a buncha years ago I made a thread in here of all the things I got shut down from and most people jumped all over me for being what they called a bad person for having it happen to me.

Now it's commonplace.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:44 pm

Anyone ever field a call from a bank's fraud department?

Fun times

I explained what it is I am doing but felt like it might not have been resonating as well as I would've hoped

I will explain more later in detail but being the call just occured a few hours ago I am reluctant to get into details until it's obvious what may happen
Old Mar 29, 2016, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Anyone ever field a call from a bank's fraud department?

Fun times

I explained what it is I am doing but felt like it might not have been resonating as well as I would've hoped

I will explain more later in detail but being the call just occured a few hours ago I am reluctant to get into details until it's obvious what may happen
Yes, once. I explained, and they seemed to understand reasonably well. I even told them what to google if they were interested in learning more. Asked if there was a problem, offered to slow or stop if they wanted me to, and they did. Went in to a branch the next day in person to confirm and make sure account wasn't at risk. Stopped using that bank, but account has remained open.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marathon Man
its funny

a buncha years ago I made a thread in here of all the things I got shut down from and most people jumped all over me for being what they called a bad person for having it happen to me.

Now it's commonplace.
Is it? No one has numbers, so there's no way to know.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:51 pm
Original Member

I had a Barclaycard shutdown.

I filed a CFPB complaint and eventually received a check for my accumulated points calculated on the full travel reimbursement rate, with a reasonably nice letter indicating that Barclay's was not obligated to do so, but chose to as a courtesy.

I certainly did not use the word criminal, nor did I use the word theft, and I am quite certain that I would not have received the check if I had used those terms.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: Southwest A-list & Companion Pass, Enterprise, Hilton, Wyndham, etc
+1

Good advice. And I'd add, write the Chairman of the Board of Barclay's: John McFarlane and the CEO: Jes Staley

If you're really mad, write your Congressman, US Senator, the Attorney General of your state and your State Representatives. Banks aren't too popular these days.

"So, what are you doing about all the people you closed out who you know wont call?" Is this a class action suit waiting to happen?
Old Mar 29, 2016, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes well that might work if you go the court route but as I said, most pepple are finding cfpb to be working in this case and they too have gotten calls. At least one person I know did tell the Barclays exec he was thinking of suing and to that, the exec become even more eager to help.

Whatever works

To me, they stole your money. Glad they gave it back after you had to worry, file, wait and discuss the matter.

Again, what about people who dont know to do this? I think Barclays banks on the idea not populating. Hence the reason for the thread

Originally Posted by Andy2
I had a Barclaycard shutdown.

I filed a CFPB complaint and eventually received a check for my accumulated points calculated on the full travel reimbursement rate, with a reasonably nice letter indicating that Barclay's was not obligated to do so, but chose to as a courtesy.

I certainly did not use the word criminal, nor did I use the word theft, and I am quite certain that I would not have received the check if I had used those terms.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:04 pm

Barclays closed my CC about 2 years ago and I was not even MS on their card! Lost some points too. Didn't complain but i wish i did. A class action would be nice.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 5:06 pm

Take them to arbitration and seek double, triple, quadruple or more presuming it's allowed per terms.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:20 pm

Originally Posted by Chelski
and seek double, triple, quadruple
Now you're talking !
Old Mar 29, 2016, 6:56 pm

Great post MM. Had the pleasure of doing a little MS behind you the other night in Saugus..

I'm wondering about these Barclay shutdowns. My arrival has a 20g CL. Each month I spend 20-25k. I also put all my everyday spend on there, about 100 transactions a month. I wonder if they would axe me or if I'm worth the hassle. I've earned about a million points with them, I'd hate to lose the CC and the line.

Keep going.
Old Mar 29, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by PaulMSN
Is it? No one has numbers, so there's no way to know.
I'm just gonna ignore the waves of Barclays and Citi shutdowns that have been happening in the past few months and agree you're right.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.