Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by dealhunter32

Edit: I do see this was answered just a few posts up, indicating that you can open different cards to get the 5x multiple times... I am just confused why people keep asking about the 16-month period when there are 5 different cards with the 5x offer.
If you opened a Wells Fargo credit card within the last 16 months, you will not qualify for the introductory rate(s), fees and bonus offers. See important exclusions on page 2.
It says a WF credit card, implying any WF would disqualify you for bonus offers.

I see on DOC a report from somone who got Propel 9 months ago and it disqualified him for 5x. That's why I'm trying to figure out exactly what they consider as 16 months.

Last edited by cdog999; Apr 28, 2017 at 7:47 am
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:30 pm

I'm not sure I follow you. Isn't 16 months a 16 months? any which way you count. How does it matter whether it is anniversary + 4 months or straight 16 months?
Old May 2, 2017, 10:11 pm

From further reading I see that the 16 months stipulation is enforced. In fact, some posts say that you need to additionally close the card that had the 5% offer to get it again.

I opened a Cash Wise in January 2017 for $150 bonus with no 5% offer after having gotten 5% back on grocery/gas/drugstore with the Platinum Rewards card opened in May 2016. I still received the Cash Wise bonus even though it had been 8 months, not 16, since the Platinum card was opened.

I am not sure if I should close the Platinum card, or whether I need to wait 16 months from when the Platinum card was opened, or 16 months from when the Cash Wise card was opened, to get 5% back again on a new card.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Gitangali
I'm not sure I follow you. Isn't 16 months a 16 months? any which way you count. How does it matter whether it is anniversary + 4 months or straight 16 months?
WF uses different wording in different parts. One place they say 16 months, in another they say eligible on first day of month following 15 month anniversary.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:37 am

16 months after CashWise opening date.
Old May 3, 2017, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
16 months after CashWise opening date.
what? u opened a 5x after waiting 16 months from anniversary date?
Old May 3, 2017, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by cdog999
WF uses different wording in different parts. One place they say 16 months, in another they say eligible on first day of month following 15 month anniversary.
I'm going by last card open date + (16*30) in excel + 1 week and that is when I apply. The last thing you want to do is, just miss it by few days. The trick is, WF doesn't tell you when you opened your card that was closed unlike AmEx, you can get this info over chat from AmEx.

Anyone know how to find out what is opening date on WF file for sure? which may be different than what you think.
Old May 5, 2017, 1:58 pm

delete

Last edited by cdog999; May 8, 2017 at 1:27 pm
Old May 11, 2017, 3:59 pm

How long does it take for the spending bonus to post? It's been 3 months since I met the required spent, and still waiting on my $200 bonus.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:12 pm

Is there any change to post 5% points?

Recently opened account. Only show 1% for all the transactions online. 20k new accoint bonus points offer listed online, which says condition already met but it hasn't posted to the rewards account yet. Rewards accounts does not mention anything about 5% points back offer. Should I be worried?

Last edited by savingwizard; May 22, 2017 at 2:23 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 2:27 pm

Programs: OZ *G; HH Diamond;
Originally Posted by savingwizard
Recently opened account. Only show 1% for all the transactions online. 20k new accoint bonus points offer listed online, which says condition already met but it hasn't posted to the rewards account yet. Rewards accounts does not mention anything about 5% points back offer. Should I be worried?
First, WF won't post that 20K new account bonus until the qualification period ends. That part you do not need to worry.

Second, missing any mention of 5% bonus is very concerning and needs to be fixed.

Last edited by geclub1; May 22, 2017 at 2:33 pm
Old May 22, 2017, 2:47 pm

Deleted.

Last edited by tontod; May 22, 2017 at 5:23 pm
Old May 23, 2017, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by savingwizard

Originally Posted by geclub1
First, WF won't post that 20K new account bonus until the qualification period ends. That part you do not need to worry.
Second, missing any mention of 5% bonus is very concerning and needs to be fixed.
There are 2 issues ongoing here with the WF VS cards, I think.

Issue 1:
20K points sign-up bonus does not post immediately. What I understood, and also confirmed from WF CSR, and also several FT and Reddit posters, is that it only posts after 3 months has elapsed. I believe this will happened, and I am not concerned about it.

Issue 2 (bolded above):
The additional 4x points for gas/grocery/drug store purchases are not posting at the end of each statement cycle. This is happening to my account now - my first statement just closed early last week. And I only received 1x points. I was deliberating for many days what to do, and finally decided to call up WF GFR department, figuring out I have nothing else to lose except human eyes on my account and them shutting me down in the worst case scenario (since I am obviously not going to continue making any further bonus category purchases if they are not paying out the full 5x).

I had since got a response from the WF supervisor, saying, that Issue 2 is apparently a widespread issue among many customers. [Is this true or not? I am looking for DP]

WF proposed resolution - they cannot / will not do anything to correct it at the moment, but they will only tabulate all your qualifying transactions at the end of the 6 months period, and then give you the additional 4x points at that time. I believe this is quite unfair, for those that plan to use the points as they earn them.

You can decide for yourself whether you want to continue taking risks, esp if later WF decides they dont want to pay out
Old May 23, 2017, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by gnomey

You can decide for yourself whether you want to continue taking risks, esp if later WF decides they dont want to pay out
Is that a recent development? I had this card last year and at that time they would post the 5X right away just that you wouldn't be able to redeem it till the end of the month. Now you are saying, they have changed the rules and you can redeem the bonus points at the end of 6 months. That's very risky and I was about to apply for this card but would hold off till we have more data points.

RIP WF 5X
Old May 23, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Is that a recent development? I had this card last year and at that time they would post the 5X right away just that you wouldn't be able to redeem it till the end of the month. Now you are saying, they have changed the rules and you can redeem the bonus points at the end of 6 months. That's very risky and I was about to apply for this card but would hold off till we have more data points.

RIP WF 5X
That's not what they said at all - It's not a development, it's a glitch

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.