Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2016, 7:03 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Gitangali
And which card gives you $2400 in bonuses? Even if he is doing what is considered at small amount. Most of the chase cards tops at 400 after a fee or 50K air miles.
I believe once you've had both versions of the 5x you can't get them anymore, hence the need to maximize each one. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Otherwise I'm down to get one every year and make $2500-3000 off of it.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by 1PercentClub
10k at 5% - 1% for costs = $400. That's not worth rolling out of bed for.
It's not getting out of bed to do it. It's the extras 5 mins to grab and VGC or two on the way to the register when doing normal grocery shopping and turning them into MOs when I pick up my mail at my PO box daily. I'll take an extra $4-5K a year for adding very little extra time and energy to my daily tasks.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Prometheus77
It's not getting out of bed to do it. It's the extras 5 mins to grab and VGC or two on the way to the register when doing normal grocery shopping and turning them into MOs when I pick up my mail at my PO box daily. I'll take an extra $4-5K a year for adding very little extra time and energy to my daily tasks.
Do you buy any GCs at WM? I wonder if the sudden shutdowns had to do with Walmart telling WF about the massive volume now that Safeway was out as a source.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:15 pm

If you're going balls out maybe, but I'm 132 days in on my second consecutive 5% WF card and I've been fine. 7-10K of $13K CL a month with about 3/4 of it being VGCs at grocery stores and CVS. I know I'm not cycling the CL multiple times a month like some, but I've gotten no warning or shut down as of yet so I don't think it's fair to assume this card isn't worth getting anymore.
i'm on my 2nd WF 5%, been cycling my CL multiple times.
everyone and their uncles got the shutdown but i'm still going.
if i get shutdown, i can live with it, everything comes to an end.
i dont even care of the $$$ ($5.95) i spent on GC's, i get fuelperks for that, i pay $0.10 (10cnets) per 20 gals.
$1000 VGC = $5.95 x 2 = $11.90, for every $11.90 i spend on $1000 VGC i get $2 off per gal up to 20gals. gas right now where i live is $2.09, so i only pay $2.09-2 = $0.09 per gal. (times 20 gal = $1.8)
if the gas goes down below $2 /gal, i only pay $0.10 for 20 gals.

i see it as a win -win and i've made so much money 0n this card that even if i spend $2000 worth of ($5.95) VGC for 1 month and gets shutdown, i still come out ahead.

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Do you buy any GCs at WM? I wonder if the sudden shutdowns had to do with Walmart telling WF about the massive volume now that Safeway was out as a source.
yes i've bought from wal mart, it was a case of mistakenly pulling out the wrong card, meant to pull a cap1 venture to meet spending and pulled out the WF 5%, only did it once though.
Old Jun 22, 2016, 11:55 pm

I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the accounts got shut down are mostly 5x reward card because WF wants to keep this product and tries to discipline it, while the 5% cash back card is dead and the grandfathered accounts are relatively still on the loose.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:48 am

I've never bought a GC at WM as there wasn't really a need to. I have two grocery stores and three drug stores that are closer to me than WM so there isn't really a need for me to buy them at WM.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by jack101
I could be wrong but I have a feeling that the accounts got shut down are mostly 5x reward card because WF wants to keep this product and tries to discipline it, while the 5% cash back card is dead and the grandfathered accounts are relatively still on the loose.
you are wrong
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:37 am

I've never bought a GC at WM as there wasn't really a need to. I have two grocery stores and three drug stores that are closer to me than WM so there isn't really a need for me to buy them at WM.
Perhaps that's the reason you're still alive, they somehow only noticed large scale MS via WM and overlooked the other sources.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 6:49 am

nvm not worth it
Old Jun 23, 2016, 8:16 am

Perhaps that's the reason you're still alive, they somehow only noticed large scale MS via WM and overlooked the other sources.
nah, got the letter earlier this week... acct has been only over 1 mo spending about $10k all at grocery store. anyone who got the letter & still get pending pts posted/credited?
Old Jun 23, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by danhouston
nah, got the letter earlier this week... acct has been only over 1 mo spending about $10k all at grocery store. anyone who got the letter & still get pending pts posted/credited?
I got the letter about 2 weeks before the end of the billing cycle and my points did post. Card was cancelled by WF about a day or two later. Card was in use about a month with about $10k in spending as well.
Old Jun 23, 2016, 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by gt2982a
I got the letter about 2 weeks before the end of the billing cycle and my points did post. Card was cancelled by WF about a day or two later. Card was in use about a month with about $10k in spending as well.
oh well, mine could likely be in the same fate... too bad, a johnnie-come-lately here...congrats to folks who reaped the benefits from $M spending

Last edited by danhouston; Jun 23, 2016 at 3:39 pm
Old Jul 1, 2016, 8:53 am

Programs: SW CP, OW Sapphire, AS MVP75k, HH Diamond, HGP Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Updates, anyone?
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:54 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
Originally Posted by Jp18
Updates, anyone?
looks like mine is on the verge of being shutdown. I logged in this AM and it says card ending in 1234 has been termporarily restricted. I haven't used the card in days either, so I know its not a general fraud block. I called the number and they referred me to another number -888-231-0757 - LOSS PREVENTION
Old Jul 5, 2016, 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by mrx900
looks like mine is on the verge of being shutdown. I logged in this AM and it says card ending in 1234 has been termporarily restricted. I haven't used the card in days either, so I know its not a general fraud block. I called the number and they referred me to another number -888-231-0757 - LOSS PREVENTION
Did you get a letter?

How much spend have you put on the card?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.