Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by greatname
I can definitely understand it from their perspective. Who has the time searching through hundreds of pages and using a better keyword to search? Maybe I am just stupid.
I can understand this perspective, but it's a poor one to take with MS, or with any part of life in general.

I personally do my absolute best to fully educate myself on any task before I start performing it, with the amount of time spend educating myself proportional to the potential monetary significance of the task.

I definitely read from start to finish both WF threads, and have used search on them multiple times. I've done the same for numerous other threads on these forums, as well as the internet at large. Sure, it's a lot of time to spend, but the rewards speak for themselves.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 10:48 am

Originally Posted by CWAL
I blows my mind that people even bother paying from any other payment source.
Honest question at the risk of further mind blowing: is it really faster to go myCU>>WFchecking>>WF cc than myCU>>WF cc?
I have a pre-approved link from myCU to both the WF checking and cc. It seems to take the same amount of time for WF to clear either way. Maybe I am sending money to WF the wrong way (push v pull?)
Old Jan 6, 2016, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Honest question at the risk of further mind blowing: is it really faster to go myCU>>WFchecking>>WF cc than myCU>>WF cc?
I have a pre-approved link from myCU to both the WF checking and cc. It seems to take the same amount of time for WF to clear either way. Maybe I am sending money to WF the wrong way (push v pull?)
yes, you should notice that the CL clears immediately from WF Checking.

There's only one way to pay from WF Checking to CC. Your WF Checking & CC is using 1 account?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
yes, you should notice that the CL clears immediately from WF Checking.

There's only one way to pay from WF Checking to CC. Your WF Checking & CC is using 1 account?
Sorry I was unclear.
Option 1: send money from my credit union to WF checking (wait). Then WF checking to credit card (no wait).

Option 2: pay credit card directly from my credit union (wait).

The wait seems the same. How best to speed up getting money to WF checking?
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by AugustWest
Sorry I was unclear.
Option 1: send money from my credit union to WF checking (wait). Then WF checking to credit card (no wait).

Option 2: pay credit card directly from my credit union (wait).

The wait seems the same. How best to speed up getting money to WF checking?
If the speed for option 1 and option 2 are the same for you, feel free to do either one. For most people option 1 will be faster.

There's no way to speed up sending money to WF checking unless you want to pay your bank with wire transfer fee which will be almost instant. ACH typically takes 2-3 business days - sometimes faster like next day but it depends on which bank you use to ACH push money to WF checking.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
I can understand this perspective, but it's a poor one to take with MS, or with any part of life in general.

I personally do my absolute best to fully educate myself on any task before I start performing it, with the amount of time spend educating myself proportional to the potential monetary significance of the task.

I definitely read from start to finish both WF threads, and have used search on them multiple times. I've done the same for numerous other threads on these forums, as well as the internet at large. Sure, it's a lot of time to spend, but the rewards speak for themselves.
You know people might not be smart enough to get the accurate keywords to search effectively. People might just do this for a side job thing with low level MS or only for sign up bonuses.

I dont mind sharing what I learned in my limited time researching so far. What happen to teamwork? ^
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:32 pm

Got WF visa signature card approved with 5K CL, now have to hit it hard for next 6 months.
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:05 pm

delete

Last edited by cdog999; Jan 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 9, 2016, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Just got my visa signature card in the mail yesterday. Activated and did the following:
Yesterday: 1 drug store 500 followed by 2 grocery 500
Today: 3 grocery 500 followed by 1 drug store 500

No FAs. Think I can start ramping up the spending? Wife has an authorized card and can start doing multiple groceries as well myself. Tomorrow I'm going to be driving by 2 different groceries so I could try 4 and then 4 at another (same chain)
I'm assuming you have a good way to liquidate those gift cards now that Serve, etc. are dying?
Old Jan 9, 2016, 5:35 pm

Originally Posted by rasgueado
I'm assuming you have a good way to liquidate those gift cards now that Serve, etc. are dying?
Yep. 3 different options for MOs. Trying to avoid Walmart unless absolutely necessary. My serve got shutdown but my wife's bluebird didn't for some reason. I fully expect it to get shutdown soon as well. Only difference was I was doing 1000 amex credit card.

I'm thinking I may try and do around 5000 tomorrow and see if it sets of a FA
Old Jan 9, 2016, 8:17 pm

That feeling after your statement closes and waiting for the rewards to hit your account...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 8:35 am

Just cancelled my first 5x card. I still have no idea if it was rewards or cash. It was a Visa Signature is all I know. I had the option to use for travel so I'm guessing it was rewards, so I guess I'll apply to cash for the next one in a few weeks. Fingers crossed.
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:04 am

delete

Last edited by cdog999; Jan 12, 2016 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:10 am

Denied on my 3rd transaction today. It's been an hour and no phone call or text. Is that normal? Don't want to call in unless absolutely necessary. Is there some number I should call if need be?
Usually it's on the back of your card...
Old Jan 10, 2016, 11:52 am

Denied on my 3rd transaction today. It's been an hour and no phone call or text. Is that normal? Don't want to call in unless absolutely necessary. Is there some number I should call if need be?
try calling 800-446-0664. This is automated and will clear your FA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.