Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2016, 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by CWAL
Good advice, but my questions are still relevant.

I've never tried it, but I think it may allow you to pay twice in one day the full posted balance of your CC, bringing you to a negative balance if you don't proceed to purchase that day to cover the overpayment.
I've payed twice before from my WF checking and have never over payed.

After I pay in the morning, some of my pushes from other banks post mid day, so I pay again in the afternoon if I need more credit.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by lumangoy
The FAs are easy to clear. It's just a hassle when the transaction doesn't go through.

WF's automated system usually calls right away to confirm x number of transactions. Keep that number handy (from caller id when they call you), you can call it even if they don't call you to clear the FA.

Sorry, I don't have the number anymore.
Thanks for the info. So, how high up were you able to get single transactions? $3000? $4000? $5000? I have a 17K CL, so the higher the better.

And, thanks for the tip on paying from WF Checking. I'll make sure and do that to help control the active balance. Assuming you have to wait until the charge officially posts right?
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by cdog999
Thanks for the info. So, how high up were you able to get single transactions? $3000? $4000? $5000? I have a 17K CL, so the higher the better.

And, thanks for the tip on paying from WF Checking. I'll make sure and do that to help control the active balance. Assuming you have to wait until the charge officially posts right?
I only bought 4 at one store, but if I remember correctly, I was able to buy 3 or 4 at 2 more stores the same day.

My CL was a little less then yours. I had to wait for the transactions to officially post. I was able to go mid 50s my last 2 months.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 8:47 pm

I've payed twice before from my WF checking and have never over payed.

After I pay in the morning, some of my pushes from other banks post mid day, so I pay again in the afternoon if I need more credit.
I don't think you're really getting my use case:

It's Monday morning, and charges of, say, 1k are posted. I have 1k charges pending, and my CL is 2k, so my available credit=0. I have 10k in WF checking, so I pay the posted 1k. It will take the 1k from checking, increase available credit to 1k, but the balance on the card will not go down until around midnight.

At this point, if you pay *another* 1k, making available credit the full 2k, you are really just paying off pending charges, and your statement will not show a negative balance (as long as you know the charges will post that night to coincide with the extra 1k payment.) You have paid more than your posted charges, but not more than your (posted+pending).

At that point, you could go out and make 2k more charges that day, not just 1k.
Old Jan 4, 2016, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by greatname
I tried to search the answer to my question but not sure what's the better keyword... I hope someone could make a wiki post. I apologize in advance if they have been asked multiple times in the past. Here are my four questions:

1) My application went to pending today and I called what I thought was Wells Fargo UW 866-412-5956. I was told that it's pending and check back in 24-48 business hours. Is this common and does this mean anything? I opened a checking account with them last Jan or so and just kept a 1500 balance with them for the past year...

2) They seem to have 4 similar products for 5x bonus per spend within 6 months - excluding the rebate ones:

Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card - 5% cash back
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa Signature® Card - 5% cash back
Wells Fargo Rewards Visa® Card - 5X points
Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card - 5X points with 50% bonus if redeem for airfare

Does this mean you can get one of each for total of 2 years of 5 times reward/cash back? I applied for Wells Fargo Visa Signature® Card and if I got the inferior platinum version, would I still get the 50% bonus for airfare?

3) How do you request soft pull CLI? When and how frequent?

4) For the future... can you actually merge all the reward points from different cards (Propel, Propel World, Propel 365, Rewards visa, and visa sig)? Only the points earned through visa sig gets 50%bonus airfare right or all points merged to that account (if possible) get the 50% airfare?

Originally Posted by cdog999
No clue. I called a banker and applied over the phone.

If you find out, let me know. I applied for
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa Signature® Card - 5% cash back

The banker I talked with said if I applied for the
Wells Fargo Cash Back Visa® Card
that I would get the 0% APR rate for 18 months but not the 5% back for the first 6 months.

I'm sure I could get my wife to do one of these cards in 6 months, but it would be nice to know if I should just cancel my card at the end and then reapply for one of the other ones next year at this time (assuming they still don't put a cap on these cards)

I ended up with a 17K CL, so I am quite happy. WF appears to hit Transunion which happened to be my best score.

Any idea if brokers will buy WF points?
Originally Posted by Wonko
Wow. I believe this is the longest completely useless non-answer I've ever read.
that's ok... at least someone was trying to help me out....
anyone else?

Update: approved for only 6k CL. Any tips on soft pull CLI would be great...
Old Jan 5, 2016, 7:10 am

I am waiting to hear back from my friend, but I believe it was for overpaying (including pending charges).

As mentioned, I just pay directly from a WF checking account and never more than the balance shown.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:07 am

I don't think you're really getting my use case:

It's Monday morning, and charges of, say, 1k are posted. I have 1k charges pending, and my CL is 2k, so my available credit=0. I have 10k in WF checking, so I pay the posted 1k. It will take the 1k from checking, increase available credit to 1k, but the balance on the card will not go down until around midnight.

At this point, if you pay *another* 1k, making available credit the full 2k, you are really just paying off pending charges, and your statement will not show a negative balance (as long as you know the charges will post that night to coincide with the extra 1k payment.) You have paid more than your posted charges, but not more than your (posted+pending).

At that point, you could go out and make 2k more charges that day, not just 1k.
Like MarcoPolo88, I only paid what is posted. I'm not even sure if you can pay (from WF Checking) what hasn't posted, making your balance negative.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:20 am

Like MarcoPolo88, I only paid what is posted. I'm not even sure if you can pay (from WF Checking) what hasn't posted, making your balance negative.
There is an option to manually enter an amount you wish to pay. I never would put more than what I owe, but I sometimes do it with Amex.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo88
There is an option to manually enter an amount you wish to pay. I never would put more than what I owe, but I sometimes do it with Amex.
Yes that's what I was doing too. Whatever I had in my wf checking.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 9:53 am

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016)

While it may not be the best/easiest cycle, I write a personal check into my wF checking and deposit the MO's into the account I'm writing the check from. I would just say that when doing this, make sure you have enough in the "other" bank to cover the check you write and not to rely on the MO being deposited.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by MarcoPolo88
I am waiting to hear back from my friend, but I believe it was for overpaying (including pending charges).

As mentioned, I just pay directly from a WF checking account and never more than the balance shown.
I assume these payments your friend made were from WF checking and not another source, right? Or maybe a combo of payment sources, say like he paid his WF balance down with WF checking, but then some Serve payments or something also came in.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by mittenfingerz
I assume these payments your friend made were from WF checking and not another source, right? Or maybe a combo of payment sources, say like he paid his WF balance down with WF checking, but then some Serve payments or something also came in.
I blows my mind that people even bother paying from any other payment source.
Old Jan 5, 2016, 8:02 pm

I blows my mind that people even bother paying from any other payment source.
really...doesn't blow my mind at all. People do not do their due diligence by reading first, then screw up, and come here asking what did I do wrong The answer is...you did not read about 99.9324% of the time
Old Jan 5, 2016, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by travelfreaks
really...doesn't blow my mind at all. People do not do their due diligence by reading first, then screw up, and come here asking what did I do wrong The answer is...you did not read about 99.9324% of the time
I can definitely understand it from their perspective. Who has the time searching through hundreds of pages and using a better keyword to search? Maybe I am just stupid.

Anyway, I added wiki and made it consistent with another thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/credi...wards-cap.html
It should be easier on most people now.
Old Jan 6, 2016, 4:58 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Quick question and I apologize if it has been answered.

My account says I have two days remaining for the 5% bonus.

Does that include today? So, does my bonus period end tomorrow or Friday?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.