Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Jan 6, 2016, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The current WF cards that earn 5x Go Far Rewards points (WF points) are WF Visa Signature card and WF Rewards card. The 5x introductory period is 6 months, then they earn just 1x WF points. Each card is now capped the 5x at $12,500. (Updated Mar-2019)

Wells Fargo Visa Signature card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/visa-signature/

Wells Fargo Visa Rewards Card:
https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/rewards/

Churnable to get repeated 5x rewards?

Not possible
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22871522-post710.html

How to pay down CL quickly?
Use WF account to pay

Likely to get shut down if...?
- Cycling several times through your CL
- Cause a negative balance
- Have a really high balance
- Calling in and getting caught by human eyes on MS activities.

To check what your 5X/5% window is:
In your account summary page on WF website, go into the CC, and click "show my rewards" on the left side, then click "Visit Wells Fargo Rewards"
From there go to "Earn Rewards" on the top and click "My Offers" and go into the "Promotional Offers-Usage" tab.

To check which transactions get 5X/5% before your statement posts
To check if new transactions are eligible, go to "My Rewards" on the top, click "Activity", and set the start/end dates. You should see a "bonus earning" 4% for anything that's eligible.

What to do when transaction not going through due to FA?
Human @ fraud prevention line is 877-575-0462 (to verify charges if locked out) (Update 3-3-15 - Phone number no longer in service per this post)

Automated response number: 800-446-0664
Print Wikipost

Wells Fargo Platinum 5x at Grocery-Gas-Drugstores(2016 onwards)

Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by Szamboti
This bragging about numbers will only result in WF executives being shown this.

The feeling of being taken advantage of will automatically produce a negative reaction in 99.99% of human beings. To think that WF executives will not feel different is just plain dumb.

With all the adverse actions taken against MS folks this past 18 months, the bragging continues. Unbelievable.
The fact that anyone posts anything noteworthy on a public forum at this point is unfathomable.
Old Apr 27, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: Ugly breakups with Barclays/Citi/Chase/USB
Originally Posted by ibleed0range
The fact that anyone posts anything noteworthy on a public forum at this point is unfathomable.
+1
Old Apr 27, 2016, 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
I believe there's a glitch in their system where it'll allow you to (even accidentally) overpay more than what's posted, and that's a big no-no for them. That's how people get shut down.
I have over paid upto $500 couple of times and I haven't been shut down. Do they warn you when you run negative balances or cut the cord right away?
Old Apr 27, 2016, 4:49 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by Gitangali
I have over paid upto $500 couple of times and I haven't been shut down. Do they warn you when you run negative balances or cut the cord right away?
Don't know, and don't want to find out I did get a warning once last year when I accidentally overpaid and found my account frozen. They let me off with a warning but that was a year ago.
Old May 14, 2016, 7:54 pm

Wells Fargo has several cards offering 5X rewards on Gas, Grocery, drugs etc, if you had one, closed it, are you eligible to receive 5X rewards on a different cards? Wiki says same card is not churnable but not sure about other cards. Should you wait till the closed card disappears from your online portal?
Old May 15, 2016, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by Gitangali
Wells Fargo has several cards offering 5X rewards on Gas, Grocery, drugs etc, if you had one, closed it, are you eligible to receive 5X rewards on a different cards? Wiki says same card is not churnable but not sure about other cards. Should you wait till the closed card disappears from your online portal?
Yes, wait. According to previous comments, those that had success churning the card said that they waited about 2 months at least until the previous card left their reward portal. Be warned though, most have failed at getting the bonus again. I personally have not tried, but will if still available in 1 year.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:58 pm

anyone get a cease and desist letter?
Old May 16, 2016, 4:32 pm

Originally Posted by stuntgoats
No. Please explain...
Old May 16, 2016, 4:34 pm

Eh...what? Please share the details of what transpired.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:12 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Its more of a warning letter but its the same result.
Old May 16, 2016, 5:22 pm

Got the same warning letter just today. How many others received this? I wonder if this is a possible indicator of increasing scrutiny

About the only possible questionable thing I did (and I knew there was risk when I did it) was ATM deposit a total of 2 checks drawn from other bank accounts into a WF ATM at 2 seperate times last week

Other than that absolutely nothing at all out of the ordinary or that has been identified as a trigger for attention and I studied up pretty extensively
Old May 16, 2016, 5:33 pm

Originally Posted by Joshy119
Got the same warning letter just today. How many others received this? I wonder if this is a possible indicator of increasing scrutiny

About the only possible questionable thing I did (and I knew there was risk when I did it) was ATM deposit a total of 2 checks drawn from other bank accounts into a WF ATM at 2 seperate times last week

Other than that absolutely nothing at all out of the ordinary or that has been identified as a trigger for attention and I studied up pretty extensively
What exactly does the letter say?
Old May 16, 2016, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
What exactly does the letter say?
Please post the letter if possible. You have our attention!
Old May 16, 2016, 7:09 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Joshy119

You never ever bought GCs at a grocery or pharmacy?
Old May 16, 2016, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
You never ever bought GCs at a grocery or pharmacy?
Lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.