Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:18 pm

Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
I thought about that, but the receipt says no refunds. I technically am not looking for a refund but an exchange. Wonder how that works.
Only one way to find out.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by crazy_p.o.w.
I thought about that, but the receipt says no refunds. I technically am not looking for a refund but an exchange. Wonder how that works.
They might not be happy about it, but if they didn't ask your preference, an exchange may be reasonable.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by hiima
Not the other guy, but I'd say 30k ish a week is pretty hard.
yes, that would be hard in my book, also. have you applied for any new Citi cards lately? a human got involved when i didn't get an immediate approval and that's when it all went sideways. without that app (for a card i was 'pre-approved' for, btw), i'd have most likely stayed well under the radar. new apps have done in quite a few citi, chase and US Bank MSers the past year...
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: Several dozen
Agree that Citi does seem to be sensitive to those double cash cards.

Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
define "HARD". i was shut down/fired for life by citi for moderate, at best, MS on the double cash card. had no other citi card- so that was it. i just used the card to bring my basis on other MS towards zero.

thus, anecdotally, i'd support the notion that they watch this card closer if your #'s are moderate+. if you prefer to prudently define "HARD" via PM... fine/good- as brag #'s on this forum do harm.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 10:27 pm

anyone had any trouble loding serve and bluebirs with simon gift cards lately? there is a guy on another forum saying he cant but I only come here for info.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:51 pm

any excitement over the new 5% back simon gift cards? Looks like CVS is on the list of the qualified merchants, where you can buy vanilla GC's. With Serve shutting down accounts though, not sure where else you could liquidate those vanillas. If there's another way, this can be a pretty good deal.
Old Nov 2, 2016, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally Posted by DjRocket
any excitement over the new 5% back simon gift cards? Looks like CVS is on the list of the qualified merchants, where you can buy vanilla GC's. With Serve shutting down accounts though, not sure where else you could liquidate those vanillas. If there's another way, this can be a pretty good deal.
They're not in stock at my Simon center yet, but they're coming soon. Definitely can add a new bonus element into the game.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 6:51 am

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL, AC, CX, BA, AGR, IHG, HH, CC, UR, MR, TY
any excitement over the new 5% back simon gift cards? Looks like CVS is on the list of the qualified merchants, where you can buy vanilla GC's.
Cool find! Thanks for the heads up. I do see these are being advertised online at my local Simon Mall.

Because the 5% is awarded back to the SMGC "within 48 hours," one solution to deal with all the $25 bonuses would be to combine up to 6 at SM for $3.95 or 2.6%. Might be worth it to deal with 1 $150 GC vs. several $25 GCs. This seems like a really good deal.

With Serve shutting down accounts though, not sure where else you could liquidate those vanillas. If there's another way, this can be a pretty good deal.
See this thread for a Bancorp liquidation method.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 7:30 am

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by gamzarme
Cool find! Thanks for the heads up. I do see these are being advertised online at my local Simon Mall.

Because the 5% is awarded back to the SMGC "within 48 hours," one solution to deal with all the $25 bonuses would be to combine up to 6 at SM for $3.95 or 2.6%. Might be worth it to deal with 1 $150 GC vs. several $25 GCs. This seems like a really good deal.

Unless you're very friendly with the mall manager, they won't let you use these 5Back GCs for any part of regular GC purchase. You can save them up and use a few in conjunction with each CVS visit to take care of $25-50 worth of your next round of $2k purchases, or cash them out to small Amazon credits.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by gamzarme

Thank you. Will check it out.

Originally Posted by littlewinglet
Unless you're very friendly with the mall manager, they won't let you use these 5Back GCs for any part of regular GC purchase. You can save them up and use a few in conjunction with each CVS visit to take care of $25-50 worth of your next round of $2k purchases, or cash them out to small Amazon credits.
Maybe I misunderstood what you're saying, but here's from the card's FAQ:

What do I do if I have several 5% Back Visa® Simon Giftcards® that I’d like to combine?

You may consolidate up to 6 Giftcards per transaction at a Simon Mall. There is a $3.95 fee to purchase the NEW Giftcard you receive when the Giftcards are consolidated. Please visit www. simon. com to find a location near you.

EDIT: I guess the part that I didn't understand is why would you care about the "regular" GC? Just consolidate and buy a new 5% card, which should act just like any regular GC.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:42 pm

EDIT: I guess the part that I didn't understand is why would you care about the "regular" GC? Just consolidate and buy a new 5% card, which should act just like any regular GC.
He was likely referring to their policy which, up until now, forbade the use of GCs to purchase other GCs. The bit you quoted from their website seems to be an update to the policy to address the concerns people are likely to have about ending up with small balances on the five back cards.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 12:50 pm

Removed.

Last edited by macrophage; Nov 4, 2016 at 8:00 am
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:17 pm

Programs: All of them
Originally Posted by bodiddely
He was likely referring to their policy which, up until now, forbade the use of GCs to purchase other GCs. The bit you quoted from their website seems to be an update to the policy to address the concerns people are likely to have about ending up with small balances on the five back cards.
That consolidation bit is an interesting development. I wasn't aware of that. Actually it's very useful if they allow me to wrap those 6 cards into a bigger GC, instead of just consolidating the 6 by themselves into a $150 card for $3.95. This would be a good way to use up that 20th not-full-load GC allowance that I currently leave out due to not wanting to deal with non-500 amounts.
Old Nov 3, 2016, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Saw the 5% back card which is hanging on the gift card rack with another regular Simon's gift card - these are the only 2 Simon's gift cards that are "packaged".

Please read the fine print at the back - you need to find out WHICH are the "participated merchants" where the card earns a 5% back. It is NOT everywhere you use the card you would earn 5% back!

For all the purposes here, many people may not be able to generate the 5%.
Old Nov 4, 2016, 4:10 am

Originally Posted by macrophage
Has anyone tried the 5% back card yet?

I went to my mall today and systems were down, so I was unable to purchase anything.
Same for me at one of the Simons in my area. The CSR informed me without my prompting when I was looking at the 5% back flyer on the wall that there would be a very low limit per day on the number of 5% cards you can purchase with a CC, but her credibility is weak considering she is by far the most miserable Simon CSR I've ever dealt with and has given me bad information in the past regarding Simon VGC purchase policies.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.