Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 6, 2016, 6:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is the thread for 2016. The previous megathread is here.

The 2017 thread is here
Print Wikipost

Simon mall gift cards(2016)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:31 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by Jesusdyd4u
Took my wife and her new Ink+ business card to the SM I've been going to for 6 months. The CSR's know me there, as well. Tried to buy 3K in VGC, and when using the new chip reading terminal, it just sat there for some time thinking, then spit out some terminal ID error. Manager was called down, who also recognizes me, and tells me they no longer can accept Business CC for personal VGC purchase.
The system is hard-coded for that, and that's why it froze.
That seems like a stretch the system is hard-coded like that. But, maybe BIN numbers are that specific? Anyway, I used a biz card Friday to buy 2k and it went through just fine.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 11:51 am

Originally Posted by illinidad
That seems like a stretch the system is hard-coded like that. But, maybe BIN numbers are that specific? Anyway, I used a biz card Friday to buy 2k and it went through just fine.
I purchased $5K in GCs at SM on Saturday using my business CC and had no problem either.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 12:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Could just be that one business card, like amex plat business. And yes they can be very specific.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 1:22 pm

Possibly it was a FA alert that froze the terminal? Once the card declined, the terminal got stuck.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by droidcore
One more data point on the email...

Went and bought 3.5k at my local Simon Mall in ATL, today. Rep knows me well. First thing she says to me is, "I heard y'all got shut down!" There was an email that was sent out to all Simon Info Booth people this morning... I told her I wasn't aware of what she meant. She went on to say that she now knows what we're all doing, and that they call us "Gamers" (I think she meant "Churners") and that AMEX had just shut down our game, per the email. I asked her the reason for the email and was told that it was to reiterate that they would not refund any previously purchased gift cards. Like duh. She also said she was sad because she'd formed a relationship with some of us regulars. Anyway, I told her I wasn't there for the AMEX thing (kinda). But, they're very aware now... as if they weren't before. Not sure what affect this will have on anything.
Perhaps as in gaming the system.
Old Jan 11, 2016, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by Henla
Perhaps as in gaming the system.
Yep. I've heard them call us gamers before. And to say they are "very" aware now is laughable. You are either aware or not and corporate knows what we are doing.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by kingofkingsforu
There are lot of people(seniors and their aliases) who just get irritated by seeing the questions and post irrelevant replies and targeting new comers .

Why cant they move on or redirect them to correct threads.

Atleast 1 member is not like this. Thanks
yeah, he's the one we all have on ignore! stop quoting his posts! lol
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:15 pm

i've now had 3 cards over the past couple months that don't work anywhere. when you call the # it's fine. the card isn't 'frozen' like with trying a PIN too many times, or the like. when SM scans the card it looks normal to them. but it's unusable anywhere. they don't even scan. iow, as soon as you swipe it there is a 'card error' type pop up. using a receipt tape wrapped around (a trick when to make a semi-messed up magnetic strip work) doesn't work either.

only solution is to go back and have the manager (at least at my SM) void it and get a new one- a pita for all parties.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 11:27 pm

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Yep. I've heard them call us gamers before. And to say they are "very" aware now is laughable. You are either aware or not and corporate knows what we are doing.
i'm surprised we've lasted this long. if simon is still ms-able at current volume/cost a year from now i will be stunned.

the only thing that could possibly save it would be the few major liquidation avenues going poof- also something that is likely. one day we'll wake up and walmart will have done to meta/us bank what they did to vanilla (rip) and that'll drive a lot of the masses away. when walmart falls, the few other remaining MO options will get inundated, hastening their demise as well.

i could be wrong. i hope i am. BB lasted a year longer than i thought it would. there's way too many of the 90 IQ crowd at every turn now doing dumb stuff and just the sheer volume increase. i was 1 of a couple before @ simon. now i'm one of about 25 regulars and many more 'once in a while's' @ 1 simon i go to.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: AA, AS, Marriott
Originally Posted by uncommonsensical
i'm one of about 25 regulars and many more 'once in a while's' @ 1 simon i go to.
Yep, back in the day when these were only $2.95/card I was down the street from one of the few SM with the Visa variety available. (This was before Vanilla Reloads at CVS went away.) I got to talking to the customer service employees, and they said I was the only person buying in volume. Within two months of April 2014, that had all changed. In a high population area like where I live now, MSers are so commonplace that it's routine for the guest services staff at the local Simon properties. When I asked for the full amount I was allowed to buy during my first Simon transaction, the cashier gave me a look when I wanted to buy thousands in cards.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by MileageGoblin
Was shown the email.. Asked for a printout and was told "no". We're "loyalty point gamers" in the Simon system. Basically, they dump large quantities of seasonal and the generic/fashion cards on us...
Old Jan 13, 2016, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by droidcore
One more data point on the email...

Went and bought 3.5k at my local Simon Mall in ATL, today.
Lenox??
Old Jan 13, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AndrewTheMan
We're "loyalty point gamers" in the Simon system. Basically, they dump large quantities of seasonal and the generic/fashion cards on us...
Meh. As long as they keep selling them to me/us. Given the demise of Serve, my Simon volume is going to be going down in the near term.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:52 am
formerly mattrendell27

PIN

so I'm planning on my buying a large amount of SMGC's this weekend and liquidating via MO. I usually buy VGC at grocery stores or CVS but this time I'm just trying to meet a spending threshold (no need for bonus category location) so I figure might as well save some purchasing fees. I know of some good Simon's I've bought from before but my last SMGC purchase was last September.

Just wanted to make sure they still come with PIN that can be set by calling the number on the back of the card?
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:55 am

Programs: WN (CP 6x, A+ 2x), Marriott (LT Titanium), Hyatt Explorer, Hertz PC, UA/*A Silver
Originally Posted by PeaceandPost
so I'm planning on my buying a large amount of SMGC's this weekend and liquidating via MO. I usually buy VGC at grocery stores or CVS but this time I'm just trying to meet a spending threshold (no need for bonus category location) so I figure might as well save some purchasing fees. I know of some good Simon's I've bought from before but my last SMGC purchase was last September.

Just wanted to make sure they still come with PIN that can be set by calling the number on the back of the card?
No need to call. Use the last four digits of the card number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.