Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: ChrisFlyer66
This is an old thread including posts through the end of 2016. The discussion continues in the new thread:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/manufactured-spending/1819025-buy-mo-s-post-office-2017-2018-gift-cards-no-longer-allowed-92.html
Print Wikipost

Buy MO's at Post Office[2016]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2016, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by fletchbo
I have been using a local convenience store GC liquidation source for the last 4 mos, but after hitting them with too much volume, they caused me to back off, due to paperwork requirement EVERY time ...

So I went back to Wally-mart the other day for ONE $999 split-tender MO (used Meta 500 Visa), and the clerk that had told me 4 -5 mos ago "No more split tender" was ok with it this time! (perhaps if I ask for TWO $999 MOs they will bust out the paperwork and look at me hard!)

So, sometimes it pays to back off on one liquidation favorite, then return later, and they may change their tune, or forget rules told to them months ago if you or other MSers have not visited.

The small POs I go to never seem to have awareness of MSers, and do very low vol MO sales.
Never heard this before.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA, UA, DL, NSA, CIA, MIB
**UPDATE**

Originally Posted by cajunguy
The near by PO I've had lots of luck with buying MO's there, $498.80 always, this morning I went in with a gift card from Ralphs/Kroger and was shot down. The payment was declined. She had allowed me to purchase many before. The clerk let me try a 2nd time and then asked if I was using a gift card, I replied 'yes'. She explained that they are no longer allowing us to use gift cards to buy MO's. Usually they have their screen tilted to where anyone being waited on can see what's on the screen. She had turned her's away from me when I walked up. I left.

This may be an isolated event in Los Angeles where I've had lots of POs allow me to buy MO's before. I've used both Visa GC from CVS and Ralphs/Kroger before with very little push back.

Because it's Saturday and the branches close a little early I won't have time to test in other locations around central Los Angeles. I'll have to wait till Monday and check other locations.

***UPDATE***
I went to a different branch with my US Bank gift card and it was declined there as well. I confirmed the balance online, the money is there.

If anyone else is having any issues with US Bank GC at the PO please share.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:35 pm

***UPDATE***
I went to a different branch with my US Bank gift card and it was declined there as well. I confirmed the balance online, the money is there.

No issues last thursday doing a $998.40 money order with 5 x $200 US Bank MGC from Home Depot at my PO.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 4:28 pm

Metabank GC does not work

Today, I tried to buy MO using Simon GC (issued by Metabank) at USPS and got declined by the bank. It used to work fine. Called the bank and they check the trasaction was coded as transfer or money order purchase, so it got declined. Anybody has similar experience? Anyone use GC from other bank to buy MO successfully?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by doremii
using Simon GC (issued by Metabank) at USPS and got declined by the bank
MetaBank no longer works.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:59 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond/*G, IHG Diamond Amb, Hilton Gold
***UPDATE***

Is this a visa or MasterCard? What area?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:14 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, DL PM, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
***UPDATE***

Did not work today. I tried two different US Bank cards and both did not go through.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:31 am

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by jediwho
Did not work today. I tried two different US Bank cards and both did not go through.
Visa or MC?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:51 am

Originally Posted by 1353513636
Is this a visa or MasterCard? What area?
Visa - purchased in Los Angeles(Culver City). 2 POs in Culver City. I'll bring that card to WalMart(Burbank) at lunch see if I can buy a MO there.

Visa GC purchased at CVS worked at both POs.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:12 am

Visa - purchased in Los Angeles(Culver City). 2 POs in Culver City. I'll bring that card to WalMart(Burbank) at lunch see if I can buy a MO there.
You'll be fine, trust me
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:18 am

Visa GC purchased at CVS worked at both POs.
Interesting.

A couple of months ago, I had problems with CVS Vanillas at a PO location which was previously very reliable. I checked online and concluded it was part of the wider problem people were reporting with GCs at POs. I may have to go back and retry. Maybe it was just a temporary processing issue with Vanillas.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude
You'll be fine, trust me
Old Oct 25, 2016, 10:54 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Same issue buying MOs from a PO near Culver City. Using Visa GCs (Meta Bank) purchased from Staples and got declined at PO!
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by thebluejean
Same issue buying MOs from a PO near Culver City. Using Visa GCs (Meta Bank) purchased from Staples and got declined at PO!
Didn't know there were so many Westside/Culver locals on here.. Greetings! Can verify recent reports. Stick to vanillas at PO, and head out to WM if youre using MB VGCs.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by mag0r
Didn't know there were so many Westside/Culver locals on here.. Greetings! Can verify recent reports. Stick to vanillas at PO, and head out to WM if youre using MB VGCs.
Perhaps someone should arrange a meet-up?

We can use secret signals for Westside/Culver locals to let others in the line at the PO or WM who we are.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.