Samsung Pay for GC Purchases?

Old Nov 25, 2015, 7:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Gold, UA Gold
Question Samsung Pay for GC Purchases?

Hello,

Not sure where to post this since it is more about an application vs. MS, but was wondering if anyone had data points using Samsung Pay at your favorite GC retailer since they recently added Chase? Normally they try to match your ID with the CC but since this doesn't show your name on the card not sure how they get around that. I would assume that it is similar to AP but I don't have an iPhone so not sure of how it works exactly (I know in theory, but not tested in the wild).

@ Mods

Please feel free to move this to the appropriate forum if necessary.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:04 am

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
Never been asked for ID with Apple Pay, wouldn't this be similar?
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:13 am

Programs: Total Rewards Diamond, Wyndham Diamond, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by msp3
Never been asked for ID with Apple Pay, wouldn't this be similar?
But If you had a CC in your hand to swipe would they have asked you for ID?

If your store never asks for ID anyway then It doesn't much matter.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:02 pm

I was once asked for ID for a $50 iTunes gift card. I told them it was on my phone and that was it. Didn't look at my phone.
Old Nov 26, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
I suspect regardless of policy, it will be dependent on the cashier/rep because they are the point person interfacing with you.

I had a transaction declined by a cashier because she insisted that I needed an ID and the physical credit card for verification (she was completely clueless and made things up as she went along). But at the same store the day before another cashier had no issue with this.

So like many things in the MR realm, YMMV based on the person you get.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by pwd847
But If you had a CC in your hand to swipe would they have asked you for ID?

If your store never asks for ID anyway then It doesn't much matter.
That's YMMV, but that's a good point. Why not just use the NFC capability instead of magstripe swipe with Samsung Pay? Never been ID'd for ISIS Wallet either way back when.
Old Nov 30, 2015, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

My question was tied to locations that normally ask for ID (i.e. Kroger, CVS, SM) and verify the CC to the person. Since the CC doesn't have your name on it in the app, I wonder if there will be a problem. Tomorrow is the 1st of the month so I will give it a shot tomorrow and report back. I am sure it is YMMV. Stores where you are a regular will probably be a little more lenient vs going to a new store.
Old Dec 9, 2015, 4:10 pm
Original Poster

So I finally went to SM today and used Samsung Pay. Let's just say it was not the best experience. The regulars weren't working so had to go to another lady. No problem I think. She rings me up for and I use SP for the purchase. Since the number on the receipt and the CC didn't match up she almost didn't make the sale. I had to show her that it masks the real CC and is actually more secure. I did have the actual card so I showed her that and she just kept going back and forth from the card to the receipt. Even called the manager (who knows me) and then decided to just let me continue with purchase. Got what I needed but not easy . Will try with one of my regulars to see what they say but will ask first this time.
Old Aug 7, 2020, 2:28 am

Another devaluation today came in an email
Starting on Aug 20, 2020, transactions will no longer count towards your status. Instead, only Samsung Rewards points you earn will determine your status.

We want to make this transition as easy as possible. That's why from Aug 1 Aug 31, you will continue to have the status you earned in July.
Silver: before (0-9 transactions), after (0-29 points)
Gold: before (10-19 transactions), after (30-299 points)
Platinum: before (20+ transactions), after (300+ points)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.