Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Transferwise now accepts credit cards with 0.3% fees = Endless cycle of payment

Old Nov 2, 2015, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Transferwise is an online p2p foreign currency conversion system where you can send money to accounts in different countries with hardly any fees, and using close to the mid-market rate. They are built by the same guys who created Skype.

Until recently they did not accept credit cards but now they do.

Fee table:

Now, this means you can theoretically do an endless cycle of payments and transfers, assuming you have a bank accounts in 2 countries which both allow sending. The lowest countries are UK, Denmark, Norway and Sweden with just 0.3% fee for using a card.

Ł10,000 GBP converts to 130,907.97 SEK
CC fee 0.3% = Ł30

13907.97 SEK converts to Ł9,912.84 GBP
0 Fee for using a bank transfer

Total cost = Ł117.16 for Ł10,030 of credit card spend.

Obviously you can lose out our even gain a bit if the daily exchange rate varies by the time you cycle the money back so it's not exactly risk free.

Note that only Visa/MC are accepted so far. This seems like a crazy good deal if you have an old BMI MC though.

One find caution though! Transferwise states:
In some cases your bank may treat the credit card payment as a cash withdrawal and charge a fee. It is not possible for us to check on our end whether this will happen, so please check with your card provider if you have any concerns before making the payment.
So it's worth checking to see if this is treated as a cash advance by your specific provider.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 3, 2015 at 9:56 am Reason: remove referral link
Old Nov 2, 2015, 5:45 pm

If I am not mistaken, the credit card fee of 0.3% is a fee additional to their usual fees of ~1.3-1.7%.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:35 pm

YMMV.

Last edited by Chelski; Jan 9, 2016 at 9:38 am
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:42 pm

Eh, minor detail.
Old Nov 2, 2015, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by venusaur5391
If I am not mistaken, the credit card fee of 0.3% is a fee additional to their usual fees of ~1.3-1.7%
Uggh. I was getting all wound up and now am deflated.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 4:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Alcibiades
Uggh. I was getting all wound up and now am deflated.
I checked how this works and their fees are dependent on the currency chosen. GBP and SEK, for example are 0.5% only. But, this does give you mid-market rates.

Meaning you would be looking at Ł130 for Ł10030 of spend. Note that if you have a card with zero foreign transaction fees, or a card in the second currency you are choosing, you can potentially make this more efficient.

As I said, for anyone with the old BMI MBNA MC that gets 2.5 miles per GBP, this could be amazing, if MBNA don't teat it as a cash advance. I'm sure there are many other possibilities with cards in different countries too.

Unfortunately this won't work for USD cards yet, but hey, finally something that gives Europeans a chance first
Old Nov 4, 2015, 9:52 am

What about Arrival card?
Old Dec 29, 2016, 2:32 pm

FYI, Barclay's treats it as a cash advance. Does anyone know of a card/bank that doesn't?
Old Dec 30, 2016, 10:39 am

Transferwise does not accept US credit cards. The credit card fees mentioned on their website is for non- North american credit cards
Old Dec 31, 2016, 5:59 am
inY

Apparently MBNA in the UK classes Transferwise as a cash advance: http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/....php?t=5282879

Anybody know about Creation?
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
I believe most CC companies in the UK at least will have a clause saying that miles are not earnt through money transfer services (ie like transferwise)
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:21 am

Yes large international money transactions are not suspicious at all. Good luck to those who MS this way, you going to need it.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 2:14 pm

I recall reading on Reddit you'd get shut down relatively fast if you do repeat transactions from yourself to yourself. I think the person reporting this had US as well as a European based accounts and bills and used US cards to pay for the US-to-European country transfers.
Old May 3, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: Air: QR Silver. BA Silver Emirates, Hotels: CC Gold, IHG Spire AMB, Hilton Diamond.
Originally Posted by NoonRadar
I recall reading on Reddit you'd get shut down relatively fast if you do repeat transactions from yourself to yourself. I think the person reporting this had US as well as a European based accounts and bills and used US cards to pay for the US-to-European country transfers.
I did something similar about 3 times and ended up making money on the exchange rate too over the course of a few weeks. However I did get a strongly worded letter telling me to knock it off or I'd be investigated for money laundering !!

Only about 4 or 5 grand (Ł) to manufacture some spending.

I achieved my goal as it was a short-term fix to a problem and wasn't looking for a long-term opportunity.
Old May 3, 2017, 7:46 pm

I wouldn't mess with this, there is FinCEN/FBAR reporting requirement etc and terror financing, money laundering suspicion is always there, considering the volume that is involved in any MS activity.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.