Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 22, 2015, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Gas Stations Selling Visa Gift Cards (take Credit Card Payment)
*Will only code for gas, if gas station attached. YMMV depending on location.

Tom Thumb
Mobil
Cumberland Farms
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! [working fine in Indiana July 2018]

Cash only:
Tom Thumb (may vary)
7/11 (some 7/11 stores will deny if paying with CC! I place those locations on my blacklist ) [hard coded change end of March early April]
Valero (they *officially* stopped accepting credit cards for variable load VGCs late 2015, but started really enforcing it in January per a manager I spoke to in January 2016) / Houston Valero Corner Store (may it RIP all the way back to the VR days)
Family Express (Indiana) (as of ~ 2/10/17 CC no longer accepted)
Print Wikipost

Gas stations that offer $500 VGCs?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by pritomd
The other didn't have GC even though Visa GC website said they did.
Whats the website?
Old Sep 29, 2015, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott
https://usa.visa.com/pay-with-visa/c...ift-cards.html

In fact...it only listed a few 7-11s...and I think all of them in my area have them. They were in the area with the phone cards/prepaid phones. The two I went to weren't on that list.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 6:25 am

Gift Cards at Gas Stations

I have cards that earn 3x - 5x on gas stations.

What are the best deals on reliably buying open-loop gift cards (specifically VGC or AGC) that is coded as a gas station purchase, using a credit card? SoCal area.
Old Nov 10, 2015, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by SeanTek

What are the best deals on reliably buying open-loop gift cards (specifically VGC or AGC) that is coded as a gas station purchase, using a credit card? SoCal area.
You may find some answers here. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by tcook052; Nov 10, 2015 at 7:37 am Reason: housekeeping after thread merge
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:10 am

Programs: UA 1K & 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott/SPG Gold (UA comp)
Originally Posted by SeanTek

I understand there may be some 7/11's randomly that will sell you GC with CC and code as gas in SoCal. I personally have found none.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 7:26 am

Programs: Several dozen
What is wrong with buying gift cards from Indians? Now you have me wondering if any of the tribes and nations are into the gift card selling business. Don't think anyone has ever explored this angle.

Originally Posted by carpediem22
Hmm, I'm having a slow day - does this mean it is OK to buy from anyone so long as he/she is not Indian? I wonder why?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by isriam
If i wasn't playing this game and I was a normal consumer I'd be pissed to learn some of these "rules". That's what is annoying about it. The normal consumer has to pay for fraud and theft and that's silly. We aren't using fake or stolen cc's. We're not stealing GC's or debit cards. MS is legit cash. I think these rules are in place because of stolen CC's and theft, not MS.
So here is my question. I go to a number of places to buy VGC's. Typically I buy 2 or 3. Many of the these stores don't ask for ID. I'm almost tempted and perhaps I should tell them they should ask for ID because one of my favorite honey-holes was shut down because of stolen CC purchases of VGC's.
I have mixed feelings on the subject. I'm concerned that if I raise the situation they may eliminate the sale with CC altogether OTOH if they get ripped off they will definitely stop the use of VGC purchase by CC's. Any thoughts?
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by fish3d
So here is my question. I go to a number of places to buy VGC's. Typically I buy 2 or 3. Many of the these stores don't ask for ID. I'm almost tempted and perhaps I should tell them they should ask for ID because one of my favorite honey-holes was shut down because of stolen CC purchases of VGC's.
I have mixed feelings on the subject. I'm concerned that if I raise the situation they may eliminate the sale with CC altogether OTOH if they get ripped off they will definitely stop the use of VGC purchase by CC's. Any thoughts?
one thing that has worked for is to present my DL to match my CC(s) at stores/gas stations where they don't know me even before they ask. this has made the cashier/manager at ease and more than willing to sell me the GCs. OTOH, I've seen cases where cashiers asked to see DL when customers were paying with CCs for GCs above $100 and these people turned hostile to the point of cussing the cashiers threatening them that it's against CC rules to ask for ID. cashiers called supervisors and/or managers who tried to pacify the customer but repeat the request to see their ID or else they will not sell the VGC(s). IDK why it's a big deal to those customers and they make a scene for not getting their way. I see the merchant's point in protecting themselves because they'll take the loss in case of chargebacks if those CCs they allow to be used turn out stolen. I'm all for protecting myself and the merchants that cooperate with me so I take the proactive stand to prove my cards are legit. So far, only when the registers are hard coded for cash only have I cancelled transaction but other than that, if cashiers/managers were willing to override after ID check, I get out of the store with my VGCs.
Old Nov 11, 2015, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Mamibear
one thing that has worked for is to present my DL to match my CC(s) at stores/gas stations where they don't know me even before they ask. this has made the cashier/manager at ease and more than willing to sell me the GCs. OTOH, I've seen cases where cashiers asked to see DL when customers were paying with CCs for GCs above $100 and these people turned hostile to the point of cussing the cashiers threatening them that it's against CC rules to ask for ID. cashiers called supervisors and/or managers who tried to pacify the customer but repeat the request to see their ID or else they will not sell the VGC(s). IDK why it's a big deal to those customers and they make a scene for not getting their way. I see the merchant's point in protecting themselves because they'll take the loss in case of chargebacks if those CCs they allow to be used turn out stolen. I'm all for protecting myself and the merchants that cooperate with me so I take the proactive stand to prove my cards are legit. So far, only when the registers are hard coded for cash only have I cancelled transaction but other than that, if cashiers/managers were willing to override after ID check, I get out of the store with my VGCs.
Mamibear,
I really appreciate the feedback and your positive attitude. As I mentioned in my post I WANT to be asked to show my ID. I think from now on I will
take your lead and hand CC with ID regardless if they ask or not, perhaps the clerks may start asking anyway but I can only hope. I know of one drugstore near me where I can buy 5 (only did it once, I try to keep my purchases to 3 or less) and the clerk acted like I was buying a pack of gum.
If only they sold MO's there
Old Nov 11, 2015, 2:20 pm

Programs: Too many to list. Since the early 90's.
Originally Posted by Mamibear
Where is a "Like" button when I need one? ^
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I've gotten an AMEX platinum card that requires $10K spend for the 75K bonus. I see the card gives 3x at gas stations, if I register for that. So it would seem like that's the right place to try to buy gift cards. In the Mid-Atlantic, I see some folks having success with Wawa. Is that pretty reliable, or is it hit or miss? And does it reliably post as gas with AMEX? Any other gas stations in the region with a good chance of success?
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by iahphx
I've gotten an AMEX platinum card that requires $10K spend for the 75K bonus. I see the card gives 3x at gas stations, if I register for that. So it would seem like that's the right place to try to buy gift cards. In the Mid-Atlantic, I see some folks having success with Wawa. Is that pretty reliable, or is it hit or miss? And does it reliably post as gas with AMEX? Any other gas stations in the region with a good chance of success?
I think you are referring to the BGR as the Plat has no bonus categories.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 10:56 am

FYI, I recently went to a Wawa and bought a coffee-type dessert and the category was NOT gas stations. It was MISC something or other. This was with Citi, and not sure if that'll trigger gas bonus multiplier.

That being said, 7-11 has been great for me, both in letting me get OVGC and also coding as gas purchase.
Old Nov 12, 2015, 4:26 pm

Datapoints need to state the network in order to be useful (Visa/MC/Amex/Discover) cuz for example almost all 7-11s will code as gas if you use your Visa, and almost none will code as gas if you use your Amex (inside, where you would have to be to buy a GC).
Old Nov 12, 2015, 5:27 pm

citi wemc

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.