Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2015, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards

Has anyone tried using Plastiq to pay for rent? What are your experiences?

Looks like a Canadian company that recently expanded to the US. 2.5% service fee, less than RadPad's 3%.

https://www.plastiq.com/
Old May 27, 2015, 10:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, Hyatt, Hilton
I think it looks good - What about paying your credit card bills?

Looks like AGC is accepted as the payment card. I spent a few minutes trying to add a CC payee, but didn't figure it out. Will look into it more later.

Please keep us posted on your experience.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:34 pm

Just a heads up as I received an e-mail from their risk department if you're sending to a person the reason needs to be goods/services. Just FYI.
Old May 27, 2015, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by vwks2006
Just a heads up as I received an e-mail from their risk department if you're sending to a person the reason needs to be goods/services. Just FYI.
You mean just like AP? I haven't tinkered with Plastiq yet but I assume there is a field that you can set or enter for the reason of goods/services?
Old May 27, 2015, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by ericdabbs
You mean just like AP? I haven't tinkered with Plastiq yet but I assume there is a field that you can set or enter for the reason of goods/services?
I set the field to rent, and I still got a similar email
Old May 28, 2015, 11:42 am

Then set the field to goods/services as the good you are paying for is housing?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:34 pm

Does the landlord also have to sign up for Plastiq or have any other kind of interaction with the company?
Old May 28, 2015, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by xSTRIKEx6864
Then set the field to goods/services as the good you are paying for is housing?
Wouldn't you literally be paying for housing services if you're renting? Housing would seem to imply a purchase.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 9:16 am

I tried sending money to another person, and I put Professional services. The payment was declined and I received an email saying that person to person payments are only allowed for goods and services. That was not an option though.

They also asked me to send them an invoice for the goods/services.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I have some of the same questions. I want to use one of these services to put student loan and rent payments toward min spends for CC sign up bonuses. I'm trying avoid BB/RC/Serve because I do a lot of remote field work and can't always get to stores to buy/reload gift cards. It looks like William Paid is dead. I created a Plastiq account but I don't find many US payee's listed (I tried Wells Fargo for student loans and the only listing was Canadian).

Can Plastiq send a payment to anyone or only payees that have signed up with them?

Is there a better service for US based customers?
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by suocbull
I have some of the same questions. I want to use one of these services to put student loan and rent payments toward min spends for CC sign up bonuses. I'm trying avoid BB/RC/Serve because I do a lot of remote field work and can't always get to stores to buy/reload gift cards. It looks like William Paid is dead. I created a Plastiq account but I don't find many US payee's listed (I tried Wells Fargo for student loans and the only listing was Canadian).

Can Plastiq send a payment to anyone or only payees that have signed up with them?

Is there a better service for US based customers?
They can send a payment to anyone by check, but they do limit payments to individuals.

As a test, I paid my mortgage thru them last month with an AGC. I submitted the payment on 5/28. Plastiq mailed a physical check to my mortgage processor at the address I provided. The payment posted on 6/9.

I also tried sending a payment to my wife's checking account via ACH. They rejected it and refunded my AGC in a week. Had I sent them an invoice, they would have processed it, but I didn't want to take the chance.

At a 2.5% fee, the only way I'll use this is with AGCs obtained at 2-2.25% to
offset the cost.

I intend to use it for many payments other than credit cards. I'll use my RBs for those. Most of the payments will be physical checks, so I'm going to give plenty of leeway time, at least 10 days. That way if the check is lost in the mail, I can still pay electronically to avoid fees and then deal with Plastiq to get my $ back.

It's not a profit generator like AGC/VGC/RB is, but still very cheap miles/points. For signup bonuses it's a no-brainer, but I still would go the AGC route if you can to offset the fee.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:24 pm

I attempted to send $10 to Bayclays using AGC. A nice CSR contacted me and asked if I was trying to pay a CC, to which I answered yes. She said the platform doesn't support CC payment and refunded me. She said rent is fine.

Despite the refund, the $10 payment posted on my account yesterday.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 5:21 pm

I sent a $500 payment on May 27th, it has yet to be received... be careful using this service!
Old Jun 26, 2015, 9:03 am

Originally Posted by cacraig
I sent a $500 payment on May 27th, it has yet to be received... be careful using this service!
Has the payment been received? It's been a month.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:20 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Think they would process a payment to :

MDDC LLC,
or the full name : Marina District Development Company, LLC?

Been thinking about this for years. Would definitely be an interesting way to manufacture spend.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.