Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 2, 2015, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: financialhippie
Successful Credit Cards Used (Posted as Purchase)
Amex Open SPG Business
AMEX SPG (non-business)
BofA - Virgin Atlantic MC
BofA - Amtrak World MC
Barclaycard Aviator Red/Silver MC
Chase Ink Plus Visa
Chase Hyatt Visa (x2)
Chase BA Visa
Chase United MileagePlus Explorer
Chase United MileagePlus Club
Chase Sapphire Preferred
Citi Prestige MC
Citi Premier MC
Citi AT&T Access More MC (3x for rent category)
Citi AA Platinum MC
FIA Fidelity Mastercard

Successful Payees:
BMW Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/19
Caliber Home Loans: Processed 12/09, Sent 12/11, Arrived-Posted 12/18
Cedent mortgage
Chase Mortgage (sends check)
Citi Mortgage: Processed 10/7, Sent 10/8, Arrived-Posted 10/15
Citizen's Auto Finance - Around 1 week.
CRA Personal Tax
George Mason University: Over a week and a half.
Infiniti Financial: Processed 10/13, Sent 10/14, Arrived-Posted 10/21
Lexus Financial. Processed 3/9/16, Posted 3/14/19
Morgan Stanley Home Loans: Processed 01/14, Sent 01/15, Arrived-Posted 01/21
National Grid Electric MA: 1 week turnaround
National Grid Gas MA: 3 week turnaround, sends physical check
"NJ City" Tax: Processed 01/21, Sent 01/22, Arrived-Posted 02/01
Penfed Mortgage: 1 week turnaround
TD Bank Mortgage (EFT)
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 10/8, Sent 10/9, Arrived-Posted 10/16
Wells Fargo Mortgage: Processed 8/6, Sent 8/9, Posted 8/16
Print Wikipost

Plastiq for rent, tuition, utilities, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:40 pm

Apparently, Plastiq will now lead to a cash advance fee if you pay using Visa credit card if the recipients have no relationship with Plastiq. Technically this means that billers that we've already been paying should be safe, but I don't know if I want to take that chance.

Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:41 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Apparently, Plastiq will now lead to a cash advance fee if you pay using Visa credit card if the recipients have no relationship with Plastiq. Technically this means that billers that we've already been paying should be safe, but I don't know if I want to take that chance.
I'm a little confused about this and used Amex for my payment but how does the recipient (my rental company) develop a relationship with visa so we can avoid the cash advance fee?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by floridagal23
....how does the recipient (my rental company) develop a relationship with visa so we can avoid the cash advance fee?
I read it as recipient needs to register with Plastiq.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Are you saying that using Plastiq to qualify for spend on the CSR may result in additional fees?
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:55 pm

Programs: United Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
You can just reduce your cash advance limit to zero and your card and try it anyway. Worst case it gets rejected, but at least you won't have the CA fee to deal with.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 12:17 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Will never by anything with airlines
does anyone know if you pay with a Mastercard Gift Card whether you are able to take advantage of the 2% vs. the 2.5% usually charged for GCs?
Old Oct 25, 2016, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by explorer84
does anyone know if you pay with a Mastercard Gift Card whether you are able to take advantage of the 2% vs. the 2.5% usually charged for GCs?
Yes, I've been doing that.

Seth
Old Oct 25, 2016, 9:45 pm

Originally Posted by chongl
You can just reduce your cash advance limit to zero and your card and try it anyway. Worst case it gets rejected, but at least you won't have the CA fee to deal with.
Cash Advance and "Cash Equivalent" are two separate categories. Cash advance has 3% fee whereas "Cash equivalent" has 5% fee with minimum $10 fee.

Even if you make cash advance zero, and if the bank codes Plastiq as "Cash equivalent" then each of two Plastiq transactions will have a flat 5% fee for the first larger of the two amounts and a flat $10 bank fee for second transaction.

So for $1000 sent through Plastiq if turns out to be "Cash equivalent" then a person would be paying $22.5 to Plastiq and $60 to the bank- A total of $82.5 fee
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:56 am

I'm trying to pay rent via Plastiq using my VGCs bought in Simon mall but keep getting an error that the card payment is not going through. Is it not possible to make payments in Plastiq with VGCs?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: IHG Plat
Originally Posted by rocky_nnc
Rent on 21st Sep , sent on 22nd not yet arrived.
Noway to check the status from Plastiq. they send in USPS it seems, y can't they add a tracker.
Only way to add some sort of tracking to FCM is either registered mail or certified mail...which cost too much.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by Sdinesh21
I'm trying to pay rent via Plastiq using my VGCs bought in Simon mall but keep getting an error that the card payment is not going through. Is it not possible to make payments in Plastiq with VGCs?
I just did it about a week ago. I have a couple lying around, I'll see if anything has changed.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 12:30 pm

Got the 2x points on my mortgage payment through Plastiq for the AMEX shop small promotion, since AMEX is categorizing them as Small Business.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:05 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, National Executive Elite
For the MasterCard/Amex 1.75/2.25% promo, any idea if you can change the payment dates after Oct 31 (i.e. to earlier in the month)? Would that screw up the promo rate?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 6:22 pm

Anyone know if Plastiq would work for USAA Career Starter Loan payments?
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:27 pm

Programs: UR, TYP, MR, C1, AA, UA, WN, BA, AS, AV, AC, Choice, Hyatt, IHG, Hilton, Wyndham, Marriott
Originally Posted by pubsmeister
I use Plastiq for lots of bills, but have never used for mortgage. With a monthly payment at about 5k, I thought the fees were too much ($100-125 a month, since 2% with mastercard, 2.5% with amex and visa). However, two new issues:
1. Current promotion- lower fees if 6 months of payments are booked; 1.75% for mastercard and 2.25% for amex (no discount for visa)
2. Amex business platinum now gets 1.5 points per dollar if transaction is at least $5,000.
When you factor these two issues in the cost of acquisition becomes different. Assuming you spend at least 5k the "cost" in fees to acquire points is 1.48 cents for MR, 1.72 cents for TYP, and 2.44 cents for UR. If you value MR at 1.9, TYP at 1.6, and UR at 2.1 (who knows, it's what TPG estimated this month) then this approach allows you to collect MR points at a discount. Only if you use the Business Platinum card, and only if your payment is at least 5k.
You can also use Amex EDP to get 1.5 ppd, and Chase FU is also 1.5 ppd.
I'm using Citi AT&T Access More and getting 3 ppd with it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.