Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Credit, Debit and Prepaid Card Programs > Manufactured Spending
Reload this Page >

Staples paper rebates: can you buy 4 at a time?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Almost every week, Staples has a penny paper deal. This week, you give them a coupon, pay $5, and get a rebate check for $4.99. This seems like a good way to "cash out" the $20 Staples gift cards generated periodically from buying the promos on Visa/MC gift cards. And, heck, the paper is worth something.

http://www.staples.com/coupons

Most of these paper promos have a limit of 4 per household. Does anyone know if you can buy 4 reams in one transaction and submit one rebate, or do you have to get each ream run up separately?
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:59 am

This is OT for this forum. But I will answer you anyways.

You can do multiple reams on a single transaction and submit as a single rebate.

YMMV on buying multiples on one transaction though as the coupon does say limit 1. Some stores/cashiers don't care. Others do. Some make you have 4 coupons, others don't.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by SpongyBard
This is OT for this forum. But I will answer you anyways.

You can do multiple reams on a single transaction and submit as a single rebate.

YMMV on buying multiples on one transaction though as the coupon does say limit 1. Some stores/cashiers don't care. Others do. Some make you have 4 coupons, others don't.
Agree with this. I churn staples paper regularly. Just sold 10 cases on CL two days ago. Most of it was free or I made money on it after rebate. So far I have only had an issue with more than one coupon once, just the other day, actually, at a store I don't normally go to. All other times I was able to use as many as I had (4, as that is the limit on most of the rebates). YMMV based on the cashier, manger, etc. Don't argue, just accept it and move on to the next opportunity.
Old Mar 26, 2015, 10:08 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
Yes you can buy four at a time, they have to manually type in the coupon code four times.

Or you can just do four separate transactions (and probably get four separate checks too). Some talking will convince the employee/manager to run it all in one transaction. Especially if you are paying with a credit card and giving them a rewards number since using the rewards phone number and then paying by a credit card there is such a process.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 1:56 am

Programs: NW Plat, SPG Gold, Amex Plat
It's definitely a case of YMMV. I went in the other day to purchase a single ream and a half-case (5 ream) pack and got shot down when I handed the cashier two coupons (the one-cent after rebate for the ream/one-dollar after rebate for the half case). The manager interprets the language "Limit one coupon per customer" as a customer is allowed to use but a single coupon per store visit." I thought she was joking... but apparently this manager is a coupon Nazi. "NO COUPONS for you!". I'll just got to another store from now on.
Old Mar 27, 2015, 8:20 am

I have actually sought the opinion of those at Corporate and it is indeed limit 1 coupon per product per customer.

This is even if the rebate limit is 4, you're only technically allowed to get the offer for 1c or $1 one time. The other 3 will be at the non-coupon price.

The issue is, however, that the register will take the coupon 4 times if you enter it...
Old Mar 27, 2015, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. Not sure why this is OT for this forum, because "monetizing" your rewards would seem to be exactly what MS folks would be interested in doing.

I guess I'll try working with my "regular" store (where they recognize me) and see if
I can get it rung up together. As long as Staples will process multiple rebates on the same receipt, it seems worth a try. Honestly, I'm not doing all that much of this (I use, max, five addresses when they run the GC rebates), but once I have $100 in Staples gift cards piled up, I don't want to accumulate any more.
Old Mar 29, 2015, 4:55 pm

Programs: National Executive, HHonors Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Visitor
There is no reason for them to not process all four reams on the same receipt. It makes the checkout faster. It makes it so only one rebate check has to be issued, only one set of receipts is issued... it saves Staples quite a few pennies to just process all four reams on the same transaction and issue one rebate check.

Does anyone know why they keep repeating this offer...? I have so much paper.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 6:21 pm

The problem is actually the COUPON saying Limit 1 per customer.

Yes, the register takes the coupon 4 times, but it is actually the corporate policy to allow you to use it once.

If your store does not allow you to use it more than once, don't even bother arguing. Find a store that will allow you to use it and stick to them!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.